British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-22, 09:57 AM

Default CWGC headstone error

I am a late comer to social media and there is a lot of rubbish on it but you can sometimes separate the wheat from the chaff.

I saw a CWGC headstone on a Facebook site about the Home Guard, the headstone commemorated a Lieutenant from Kirkham near Preston who was in the 6th Battalion Lancashire Home Guard but the badge on the headstone is that of the Kings Liverpools.

I put the picture of the headstone on my Kings Liverpool Regiment Facebook group and it turned out one of the members was a Volunteer with the CWGC and reported the headstone to her manager, the error has now been acknowledged and in due course the headstone is going to be replaced ( after 70 odd years) with one showing the correct cap badge !

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 671F4F82-0B76-4E16-BF49-16C55861228C.jpg (66.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 7C0B15CC-EF0F-4ECC-BC4F-8EC9B5C34217.jpg (51.5 KB, 32 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-02-22, 10:38 AM

Thanks Peter - the CWGC will always correct a headstone if any information is incorrect - and I have been wondering as to whether one of the graves I look after has the correct badge. The initial information I was given from the CWGC about the grave was that he was Royal Artillery - and that's the badge I expected to find on the headstone - so the Argyll's badge sort of threw me, until I saw that that the the full regimental inscription was 54th L.A.A. Regt R.A (A&S.H) T.A - so is the A&SH badge the correct one? Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1747 (1).jpg (120.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 15-02-22, 11:07 AM

Thanks Tim,

Good to know that errors will be corrected even after all this time, it always seems strange that some Liverpool Territorial and Pals headstones have the “correct” badge whilst others have the Kings Liverpool Regiment cap badge on them.

Peter.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-02-22, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Thanks Peter - the CWGC will always correct a headstone if any information is incorrect - and I have been wondering as to whether one of the graves I look after has the correct badge. The initial information I was given from the CWGC about the grave was that he was Royal Artillery - and that's the badge I expected to find on the headstone - so the Argyll's badge sort of threw me, until I saw that that the the full regimental inscription was 54th L.A.A. Regt R.A (A&S.H) T.A - so is the A&SH badge the correct one? Tim
Norman E. H. Lichfield in The Territorial Artillery 1908 - 1988

Quote:
Upon conversion to artillery 54th LAA Regt. R.A. retained the right to wear the Argyll's bonnet and cap badge. .......
I have this wrong in my web site and will correct that.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 16-02-22, 10:06 AM

Thanks Henk - appreciate that. I'm sure they were very precious of that right to the badge.
Old 16-02-22, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I'm sure they were very precious of that right to the badge.
I guess so

BTW, the same is true for 91st and 93rd Anti-Tank Regiment, RA (ASH). Probably also for
58th LAA, although I could not find a quote for that.

And I always wondered how they managed to get the numbers 91 and 93 allocated. Very fitting.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages