British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-22, 10:52 AM

Default QV Rifles? St George design badges

Can anyone tell me which St Geo badges were worn by the QV rifles or other British regiments?
Through the generosity of a couple of Forum members (much appreciated), I am close to completing my research on the insignia worn by the NSW St George Regiment, which wore three different variations of the St George design between 1900 and 1903. I hope to put together my first Forum album when I am able to take some acceptable photos.
In the meantime, I would like to know about some badges from my files that I think were NOT worn in Australia. I understand that the QV Rifles used the St Geo and dragon design but I have never seen illustrations of them.
The main design difference is that some badges, both large and small, show St Geo with a cape.
1. The most common medium sized collar badge (shown in scan as a pair) was worn in NSW only facing to the RIGHT, apparently ordered from a British badge maker in 1901 from an existing die. Some British regiment had originally worn them in pairs (or with a crown as a pouch badge) but I don't know why they were made in both WM and also gilt.
2. Buckle?
3. Cast larger sized hat or pouch badge with flying cape?
4. Comments appreciated on the origin of the high quality civilian silver/gilt brooch dated 1869.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collarpr1.jpg (44.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg stGeoBuckle.jpg (39.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg unknown.jpg (74.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg crownedStGeo.jpg (65.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1869.jpg (75.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 31-01-22, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Can anyone tell me which St Geo badges were worn by the QV rifles or other British regiments?
Through the generosity of a couple of Forum members (much appreciated), I am close to completing my research on the insignia worn by the NSW St George Regiment, which wore three different variations of the St George design between 1900 and 1903. I hope to put together my first Forum album when I am able to take some acceptable photos.
In the meantime, I would like to know about some badges from my files that I think were NOT worn in Australia. I understand that the QV Rifles used the St Geo and dragon design but I have never seen illustrations of them.
The main design difference is that some badges, both large and small, show St Geo with a cape.
1. The most common medium sized collar badge (shown in scan as a pair) was worn in NSW only facing to the RIGHT, apparently ordered from a British badge maker in 1901 from an existing die. Some British regiment had originally worn them in pairs (or with a crown as a pouch badge) but I don't know why they were made in both WM and also gilt.
2. Buckle?
4. Comments appreciated on the origin of the high quality civilian silver/gilt brooch dated 1869.
Thanks
I have photo 3 in whitemetal facing the other way. I've noted it as Churchill 1481.

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 31-01-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 31-01-22, 01:38 PM

This is the one i have,pouch badge with screwposts north and south . Size is 35mm x 35mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220131_133532.jpg (69.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 31-01-22, 04:16 PM

Hi,
Here is mine for comparison.
Cheers,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St George and dragon.jpg (22.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg St George and dragon rev.jpg (21.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg St George and dragon_Screen_cap_panel.jpg (63.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 31-01-22, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
2. Buckle?
Thanks
Some nice items there.
Andy
Old 01-02-22, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the replies but I still need an answer to my question: were St Geo badges or buckles worn by the QV rifles or some other British regiment?
Interesting to learn about the photo3 badge facing the opposite way. Does the Churchill book give its description? I don't have the book myself.
Old 01-02-22, 10:06 AM

Not much help but I've got this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20220201_100152.jpg (59.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-02-22, 10:39 AM

hi kingsley
here are mine.
i have a few more tucked away somewhere. try dig them out for you
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (110.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (3).jpg (102.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-02-22, 10:13 PM

Try this link for a start which shows badges taken from the Forum's albums.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ria%27s+Rifles

Chris
Old 01-02-22, 10:20 PM

Also this link that Henk(Wmr-RHB)put together in his Regimental Lineages.

https://hcvv.home.xs4all.nl/milweb/G...sRR.html#y1908

Chris
Old 02-02-22, 12:11 AM

Thanks again to everyone. Interesting that the 1st Midddlesex RV badge has the flowing cape St Geo design in the centre, exactly the same small badge as the one worn in 1901 (only a short time later) by the C.O. in NSW (Lt Col Neild). I have never seen this badge and it appears? from the picture that the centre St Geo could have been separate. My badge (see scans) has lugs and looks like the 1901 collar badge rather than the equivalent of a HPC.

I would assume that the sword is contemporary with the 1st M'sex badge, and perhaps they wore the 35mm St Geo badge with crown above (in my first post) as a pouch badge.

I don't have Chrchill's book and would be interested to know how he describes no 1481.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stgeocollar2.jpg (57.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Stgeocollarback.jpg (48.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg John_NeildHead.jpg (34.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-02-22, 10:02 AM

Hi Kingsley

see attached.

If showing this is not OK, mods, please remove

cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (64.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-02-22, 06:48 PM

Not sure if these help
IMG_20220202_182144.jpgIMG_20220202_182104.jpgIMG_20220202_182034.jpgIMG_20220202_181955.jpg
Old 02-02-22, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil s View Post
Those are very nice Neil. Theres a later version of the belt plate with a KC and Queen Victoria's centre. Later still a Queen Victoria's Rifles centre and with battle honours on the arms of the cross.
Old 02-02-22, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Those are very nice Neil. Theres a later version of the belt plate with a KC and Queen Victoria's centre. Later still a Queen Victoria's Rifles centre and with battle honours on the arms of the cross.
I’ve got a few of them.