British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-22, 06:33 PM

Default The West Kent Yeomanry

Hi, this is a different strike badge to those shown in the gallery. But it looks pretty similar to the badge shown in the book Cap badges of the first world war by Doyle & Foster. What are members opinions. Am I right or wrong ? And is the badge in question good or bad ? Comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220101_181616.jpg (36.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20220101_181750.jpg (32.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20220101_181726.jpg (28.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-01-22, 06:37 PM

The badge is a well known fake.

There is a genuine example in my Yeomanry 1914 album.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4270
Old 01-01-22, 07:06 PM

Hi Luke,
I did notice the difference in the ones posted in the gallery which includes your example, before I posted. Thanks for confirming it as a fake, but it looks very much like the one pictured in the afore said book.
Regards, Jim.
Old 01-01-22, 07:46 PM

Hello Jim, the book mentioned and most other books do contain some mistakes unfortunately, this being one of them, as Luke said the badge is a fake

Gerard
Old 01-01-22, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenzy1 View Post
Hi Luke,
I did notice the difference in the ones posted in the gallery which includes your example, before I posted. Thanks for confirming it as a fake, but it looks very much like the one pictured in the afore said book.
Regards, Jim.
Very possibly, sadly many of the more recent (post mid-1970s) publications include pictures of fake badges. This is why I limit my ‘general’ badge books to both KKs and the first editions of Gaylor (1971) and Wilkinson (1969), even with the latter two numerous repros creeped into the later editions when the plates were re-done.

That is not to say the aforementioned are totally repro free, as in my opinion they are not.

I do not have the book concerned so cannot confirm it’s the above nag but the horizontal angle and shape of the head is very distinctive and unlike originals. The fake in question is the most ubiquitous being a Marsh catalogue ware.