British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-21, 03:54 PM

Default Replacement Sliders and Lugs Wanted

Hi All,

I've been given an old collection of badges, a mixture of brass and anodised, and there are 20 or 30 badges that are missing the sliders and lugs.

Northing particularly rare but quite a few I would like to keep if possible.

Are they worth repairing (ie can they be repaired successfully) and if so, does anyone know where I can get sliders and lugs from to try doing it?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 18-12-21, 04:11 PM

It completely up to you the decision to repair or not.

As to whether it’s worth it or not it depends on the badges and ultimately your own opinion.

Repairing AA’s is extremely difficult due to the finish I understand. I’ve heard of people using glue to replace sliders with varying degrees of success.

In my opinion there’s nothing worse than a home repair solder bodge job. The process of cleaning and heat regularly ruins the patina. Modern loops or sliders are often used which aren’t in keeping with the badge and spoil the look. I prefer broken badges to such repairs which I think de-value badges to the extent it’s often more viable to just buy an unbroken example.

Sliders and loops can be found on eBay on occasion. I recall eBay seller emerson141151 used to regularly sell loops, albeit most sales now come from his wife’s account sanhe-9252. It may be worth dropping them a message.

My own stance on repairs is keep them to a minimum. If it’s a badge worth repairing then it’s worth having it done professionally.

I’ve been collecting for over 20 years and have only had 5 badges repaired in all that time. If you don’t want a broken badge best thing to do is not buy a broken badge, it also works out cheaper in the long-run.
Old 18-12-21, 04:27 PM

I agree that it is best to buy an unrepaired badge when it comes to relatively common OR badges. The only exception I make sometimes are fine officer badges that have old repairs or modifications, when the price and quality over rides the issue.

CB
Old 18-12-21, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have 4 CCF badges with missing a lug that are so scarce I cannot find replacements. I use double sided tape to hold them in the albums
Old 18-12-21, 04:28 PM

Thanks Luke,

I appreciate the answer. I've never repaired a badge before and thought this might be a chance to try it. These have not cost me anything and it seems a shame to get rid of so many.

Sounds like I've got some thinking to do.

Michael
Old 18-12-21, 04:29 PM

I'm having flashbacks to the IWMs hammer and nails fixings when I was a kid.
Old 18-12-21, 04:30 PM

I wasn’t suggesting get rid of them.

There are other alternatives and ways to display as Alan suggests.
Old 18-12-21, 04:30 PM

Thanks Alan,

These aren't rare, just ones I don't have. If I could fix the anodised ones with a drop of glue it would be worth doing but it sounds like that's not the case.

Michael
Old 18-12-21, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I seem to have missed a few comments while replying.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Michael
Old 18-12-21, 07:46 PM

Smile Repaired badges

Having repaired original badges in my collection is not a problem for me, I recently bought a badge from a forum member that had an old repair which was indeed very well executed, a badge I was missing in my collection.

Anodised badges are hard to repair and a good strong adhesive is needed, I have used this to a reasonable result, but sliders have to be treated very gently afterwards.

Rob
Old 18-12-21, 08:01 PM

Thanks Rob,

I have repaired a few economy badges based on your advice in the past and have been happy with the results.

I'm in two minds about whether to bother with this, if I can pick up the bits cheap it may be one to see if I can actually do as there's nothing particularly special to ruin if it goes wrong.

Michael
Old 18-12-21, 10:49 PM

It does not greatly worry me whether an original badge is missing its original fixings. Better than no badge at all. You certainly can't solder anodised badges, or ruin old gilt badges with heat. My solution to the problem is to solder lugs to small brass discs and glue them on, easily removable with a penknife.
It really needs a professional to replace sliders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gilt3.jpg (87.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 18-12-21, 10:52 PM

Thanks Kingsley, that's an interesting idea and another option to consider.

Michael