British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-06-20, 09:23 AM

Default Boer War

Can anyone identify the cap badge on the attached photograph? I believe the uniform is Boer War but I am very new to this! Trying to work out an ancestors history. Hope you can help1908173.jpg
Old 10-06-20, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Josie, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 10-06-20, 12:07 PM

Possibly The Devonshire Regiment although it could be that of another unit, eg Army Service Corps / Royal Army Service Corps.
Old 10-06-20, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Devonshire regiment and that matches the badge, cap colour and curved shoulder title. He is wearing the 4 long service chevrons so he had some time in. I think the medal is the QSA for the Boer War and it has the look of a post war photo: possibly in India judging by the uniform.
Old 10-06-20, 12:27 PM

The photograph is that of a Regular soldier in the Devonshire Regiment with 3 good conduct chevrons so has been serving for at least 12 years service.

He is wearing a Khaki Drill uniform, which as Al;an says is worn overseas.

I cant make out the details of the medal ribbon, if it was a QSA I would expect the Kings South Africa Medal (KSA) ribbon too for a Regular soldier.

Could be an Indian General service Medal IGS).

I would date the photo to c. 1910.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-06-20, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected on the medal ribbon. Thanks for the correction as they are not my thing. The side cap was worn in India up to the start of WW1 long after it had ceased to be worn in UK.
Old 10-06-20, 08:23 PM

Hmmm... That style of appears to be the last KD tunic version, with square pocket flaps and some other small changes introduced in 1924, but there was an Indian pattern with this style of pocket that was earlier.
The usual tunic prior to and during the war was the earlier pattern with pointed pocket flaps.
The 2nd Devions were in Cairo from 1912 to 14, so this would be not be the tunic worn by them.
The other possibility is that he is from one of the non regular battalions (the 6th I think) that were in India in 1919 and after with that IGS ribbon.
This photo is more likely just post war from the battalion stationed in India and engaged in operations on the NWF.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 11-06-20 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-06-20, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

If he was a Regular then I would have expeded post WW1 medals if it is India post 1919. The side hat was generally worn pre war before coming back in use in the late 1930s.
Old 11-06-20, 02:02 PM

That is just it. I don't think he is a regular and could have had that cap for a long time, judging by his GC stripes.

CB
Old 11-06-20, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie View Post
Can anyone identify the cap badge on the attached photograph? I believe the uniform is Boer War but I am very new to this! Trying to work out an ancestors history. Hope you can helpAttachment 225308
anything on the back, the photographers or location?

Jerry
Old 11-06-20, 04:29 PM

If known, the name of the individual shown may help.
Old 11-06-20, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Hmmm... That style of appears to be the last KD tunic version, with square pocket flaps and some other small changes introduced in 1924, but there was an Indian pattern with this style of pocket that was earlier.
The usual tunic prior to and during the war was the earlier pattern with pointed pocket flaps.
The 2nd Devions were in Cairo from 1912 to 14, so this would be not be the tunic worn by them.
The other possibility is that he is from one of the non regular battalions (the 6th I think) that were in India in 1919 and after with that IGS ribbon.
This photo is more likely just post war from the battalion stationed in India and engaged in operations on the NWF.

CB
One cannot put much weight on the cut of pockets, collars or cuffs for KD because the private soldier was well able to employ a local dharsi to run him up a jacket in the style favoured by the unit at the time.
This is one very smart soldier, and his cap is strongly suggestive of pre-1914.
Old 11-06-20, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
One cannot put much weight on the cut of pockets, collars or cuffs for KD because the private soldier was well able to employ a local dharsi to run him up a jacket in the style favoured by the unit at the time.
This is one very smart soldier, and his cap is strongly suggestive of pre-1914.
Problem is that no Devonshire battalion was in India since 1904, which was the 1st Bn. just after SA. The photo could not possibly date from that time. I highly doubt that style of tunic was a local Cairo made item when the 2nd Bn. was stationed there from 1912 to 14, but it could be possible, if he had transferred from the 1st Bn. The service stripes would indicate at least 12 years service or more, but only a single ribbon. Hard to understand that for a regular at that time, but again possible if he had not participated in the war and joined with the battalion when they went to India afterwards and was only eligible for a India GSM.
The 6th Bn. went to India in 1914 and stayed through at least 1919. I really think that is what we are looking at.

CB
Old 11-06-20, 09:43 PM

Quote:
The 6th Bn. went to India in 1914 and stayed through at least 1919. I really think that is what we are looking at.
An interesting photo and discussion to which I don’t claim to have the answer.

Just an observation, if the above was the case I would expect him in all likelihood to be wearing a T-6-Devon title which he clearly isn’t. The Devon ST suggests to me he is a regular.

My gut tells me it’s pre-WW1 but I’m no authority on uniforms in the slightest.

I suspect the original poster will hold the key if they have their ancestors name who they believe it to be.
Old 11-06-20, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Problem is that no Devonshire battalion was in India since 1904, which was the 1st Bn. just after SA. The photo could not possibly date from that time. I highly doubt that style of tunic was a local Cairo made item when the 2nd Bn. was stationed there from 1912 to 14, but it could be possible, if he had transferred from the 1st Bn. The service stripes would indicate at least 12 years service or more, but only a single ribbon. Hard to understand that for a regular at that time, but again possible if he had not participated in the war and joined with the battalion when they went to India afterwards and was only eligible for a India GSM.

CB
The headdress is a severe problem for your most likely scenario, is it not?