British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-18, 06:20 PM

Default Inniskilling Fusiliers Plastic Economy badge

Hi all can't post a photo just yet will do this tomorrow in Natural light, so please bear with me on this! But have just acquired the above badge to replace one with only one blade (fixing) in my collection mine is Gold this is Silver and without a Vernier (at work) looks smaller, have seen and own different coloured plastic badges but didn't think this Rgt had them? Has anyone information or have similar to this badge? in Silver or a Gold one?

Regards the missing fixing have been informed this was common to bend the lower blade flat or remove leaving top as a slider, to purists its still a broken badge I haven't a problem with it but the opportunity was there to acquire this other badge and didn't expect the Silver colouring? So! Look forward to your input! Many thanks Billy
Old 04-10-18, 06:27 PM

According to Marcus Cotton's list:
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 23,856…(PF-all)
All produced by Plastic Fashions.
Old 04-10-18, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mine is silver plastic. There were makers colour variations.

Plastic badges have been faked by a Dutch reenactor.
Old 04-10-18, 06:52 PM

Hi Alan had one of these the Polish Plastic Economy, white plastic with Silver paint!

This is much different both match in parts, the Gold one is smooth and the Silver is rough the lightening hole to rear "Domed" shaped on both and where lower fixing blade on the Silver one there is a prong showing through whereas on the Gold you can see the mark but this has been removed! So believe both Genuine Copies of these would be scary as not all Plastic Economy gave markings to rear!

Leigh just under 24, 000 that seems a lot for this Rgt as cannot find these so easily, thanjs for this!

Many thanks all, billy
Old 04-10-18, 08:36 PM

I would recommend that anyone with the slightest interest in plastic badges from the Second World War should make the effort to secure copies of "Militaria Magazine" issues #10 (November 1994) and #12 (January 1995). These are from the (unfortunately) short run (25 issues?) published in the UK in the 1990's and contain the all important production numbers of all badges concerned and other important information. You can often find them on ebay for a reasonable price, but shop around a bit for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-18 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 08:55 PM

The articles were by Marcus Cotton, his lists have been posted on a couple of threads on this forum and by me on GMIC some years ago.
Old 05-10-18, 07:06 AM

There are a number of units that have gold/bronze and in silver/grey plastic badges- including my interest; the King's Regt. I've even seen one that was an awkward combination of the two. I have looked through some documents at TNA (where Cotton got his details) but I couldn't find anything on colour. Incidentally, I was also surprised that these badges used the same WO Sealed Pattern number as the current metal badge - eg King's SP 10042/1026.
Old 05-10-18, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
There are a number of units that have gold/bronze and in silver/grey plastic badges- including my interest; the King's Regt. I've even seen one that was an awkward combination of the two.
Julian, there's a 'combined' as you describe it King's Regiment plastic cap badge displayed on a uniform in Liverpool museum.
Tony.
Old 05-10-18, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi Alan had one of these the Polish Plastic Economy, white plastic with Silver paint!

Leigh just under 24, 000 that seems a lot for this Rgt as cannot find these so easily, thanjs for this!

Many thanks all, billy
Billy

the badges are made of cellulose acetate which can degrade badly and according to the Getty museum is shown to be among the four plastics that deteriorate most rapidly in museum collections. That and I suppose the dislike of them have added to the apparent scarcity of some.

the storage advice is to keep in well ventilated conditions to prevent the build up of acidic gasses that drive the auto-catalytic degradation . The environment should be stable, cool, and dry (avoid high relative humidities) . Significant fluctuations of temperature and relative humidity should be avoided.

John
Old 05-10-18, 11:45 AM

I've always been aware of the problems associated with WWII economy plastics and keep them away from materials that I'll "risk" using as backings for metal badges, but I keep them mounted on card in self sealing plastic bags with their metal mates.
Sounds like I'd better change that practise tout de suite.
Old 05-10-18, 12:02 PM

Thanks Tony - I haven't been to the MoLpl for a while but will try to get there again.

Thanks John - I hadn't realised that they were that unstable ! I had them down as 'The badges were made from a thermoplastic called cellulose acetate. This material came in powdered form and the badges were produced by injection moulding.' Apparently there was a post-war technical document produced just afdter the war - I'll try and track it down.

I have seen painted plastic badges - such as a grey badge but the scroll has been painted eg light bronze / gold (or vice versa). I think there was an East Surrey shown here a while ago.
Old 05-10-18, 12:21 PM

I have a Queen's West Surrey's in silver grey plastic overpainted tan, but that's the whole badge and of course, when was it painted?

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 05-10-18 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Part of text missing
Old 05-10-18, 12:32 PM

Here are the two Inniskillings Fusiliers badges, forgot my Vernier but here are the measurements quite a difference!

Across the Flames :- Gold = 34 Silver = 32

Ball Diameter :- Gold = 25 Silver = 23

Height :- Gold = 42 Silver = 40

It could be a copy? But would appreciate your thoughts?

Also for your perusal the Royal Sussex Rgt as you can see originally Gold but painted Silver and Cross Red. All the best billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181005_130926-1.jpg (85.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_130941-1.jpg (71.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_130941-1-1.jpg (46.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_131943-1.jpg (91.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20181005_131952-1.jpg (96.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-10-18, 12:46 PM

Here (top left) is the two colour plastic badge in the Liverpool Museum

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King's Museum (18).jpg (45.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-10-18, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Here are the two Inniskillings Fusiliers badges, forgot my Vernier but here are the measurements quite a difference!

Across the Flames :- Gold = 34 Silver = 32

Ball Diameter :- Gold = 25 Silver = 23

Height :- Gold = 42 Silver = 40

It could be a copy? But would appreciate your thoughts?

Also for your perusal the Royal Sussex Rgt as you can see originally Gold but painted Silver and Cross Red. All the best billy
Cellulose Acetate moldings will shrink as they degrade and can also warp. Take this into account when you compare dimensions . From what I recall of the fake Dutch items your two look OK to me. I think Alan O. has specifics on the Dutch made stuff.

I should add if the badges have been coloured with masterbatch (colourant added during moulding) you can expect different shrinkage rates from different colours and thus different dimensions. I don't think your two badges are painted are they?

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 05-10-18 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added colourant details