British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-19, 05:31 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default Volunteer League?

I have attached a photo of a badge which I picked up this week but I am finding puzzling. In fact I am both bemused and puzzled (nothing new there!) and becoming more so the more I try to research into it. The badge has a round button hole fitting to the reverse labelled ‘W.H.Lewis & Co, New Bond Street’ but also has a small loop at the top behind the Crown which I assume is to accommodate a small ring to allow it to be worn as a fob on a watch chain. The motto ‘Pro Aris et Focis’ has been discussed on the forum in 2009 translating literally as ‘On behalf of our altars and hearths’, by some to mean ‘home and hearth’ (which we hold dear) and is therefore used to express ‘For God and Country’......but what the badge is representing is confusing. The theories proposed appear to be (non stated with any degree of certainty I hasten to add!!)........
An organisation for a Veteran Volunteer Corps member.
Volunteer League of the British Empire with all Rifle Volunteers eligible for membership.
Alternatively (given the Kings Crown) the badge is for membership of a local defence group during WW1 affiliated to the Volunteer Training Corps given the reference to ‘Defence Not Defiance’.
No one seems to know definitely. Any ideas would be very welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9784C11D-4ADB-4487-B7A1-D73B0EF1D81D.jpg (116.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 21-05-19, 06:00 PM

Hi CharlieDog,

Well, I have no idea, but apparently (thanks Google) Defence not Defiance is the motto of the Highland Fusiliers of Canada.... maybe a starting point?

Cheers, Tim
Old 21-05-19, 06:11 PM

Thanks for that info Tim. Perhaps I have made a bald assumption that it was a British badge and the idea of a Canadian connection is intriguing.........and bemuses me even further , lol.
Cheers
James
Old 22-05-19, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi CharlieDog,

Well, I have no idea, but apparently (thanks Google) Defence not Defiance is the motto of the Highland Fusiliers of Canada.... maybe a starting point?

Cheers, Tim
I'm sticking my neck out here, as I cannot presently back up my theory with specifics, but I'm almost certain that 'Defence Not Defiance' is the motto of a number of Imperial and British units and organizations, including the Royal Highland Light Infantry, who I believe may be an affiliated regiment to our Highland Fusiliers.
Old 22-05-19, 04:09 PM

Hi Peter,
That is very interesting. I have also been told that Defence Not Defiance was used as a motto for some Rifle Volunteer Corps. It does seems possible, as you say, that other Regiments may have used the same words in their motto and might suggest this badge has a Regimental Association or one to show that one was an ex-member of a Volunteer Corps unit. Many thanks for providing this extra detail. Much appreciated I think the London Maker would suggest the badge has English or Scottish rather than Canadian connection.
Cheers
James
Old 22-05-19, 04:32 PM

Found a thread about this on Great War Forum.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...ritish-empire/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volunteer.jpg (11.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 22-05-19, 04:49 PM

Hey Mike, that is absolutely excellent. Definitely the same badge and a great link. I will give that serious study. Seems to have a fair amount of information and suggestions. Wonderful stuff. Many many thanks for taking the time to search that out.
My sincerest thanks to all members who have offered suggestions and possibilities. I really do appreciate your efforts. Thank You!
Cheers
James