British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-19, 08:14 PM

Default Possible Indian Formation Signs?

Can anyone tell me whether the attached are formation signs from the Indian sub continent please. If they are, any information on who wore them would be welcome. If not, does anyone know what they are, please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg West Bengal 1.jpg (27.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg West Bengal 2.jpg (27.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg West Bengal 3.jpg (19.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Central Province & Berar.jpg (20.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-01-19, 06:52 AM

Yes should be though I don't know what they are. The first 3 are post-1947 as there was no 'West' Bengal before that date.
Old 23-01-19, 01:58 PM

I would guess the last one is a sports badge or somethin g of the sort. The 'Central Provinces and Berar' was a province of British Indian and, briefly, of the newly independent India.

"The Central Provinces and Berar was a province of British India and later the Dominion of India which existed from 1936 to 1950. It was formed by the merger of the Central Provinces with the province of Berar, which was territory leased by the British from the Hyderabad State. Through an agreement signed on 5 November 1902, 6th Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VI leased Berar permanently to the British for an annual payment of 25 lakhs Rupees. Lord Curzon decided to merge Berar with the Central Provinces, and this was proclaimed on 17 September 1903...
India became independent on 15 August and the Central Provinces & Berar became a province of the Dominion of India. The princely states, which were under the Central Provinces before 1936, were merged into the province, and organized into new districts. When the Constitution of India went into effect in 1950, the Central Provinces & Berar was reorganized with territorial changes as the state of Madhya Pradesh, which name also means Central Province." [Wiki]
Old 24-01-19, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the information, gentlemen. That's most useful. However, if the three West Bengal badges are military formation signs, I would be most grateful if anyone can tell me which formations or units wore them, please.
Likewise on the Central Provinces badge. If not military, I'd like to know what it is, if possible.