British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-08, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default INTERFET Canadian brassard

After a discussion about the structure of the Canadian section of the forum, an area for tasking patches was missed. These don't neatly fit other categories. Maybe a Misc is needed?
Canada has been a major participant and contributor to UN missions around the world. From the first deployment in the Siani in 1956, unique insignia has been created for the taskings. In 1999, Canada contributed approximately 650 ground troops, mostly from the R 22e R to East Timor. Seldom seen is this armlet worn by the Canadian Contingent to INTERFET (International Force East Timor). The deployment was short lived, the military component leaving after only a few months.

Old 01-02-08, 03:48 PM

Default Nice One Bill

The INTERFET brassards don't match any previous pattern of IECS or CF brassard. I heard that they were Australian made? Mine has no NSNs or any identifying features on the reverse. I agree a MISC sub-board is needed.
Old 02-02-08, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Australian...

Hi John, I was told that the brassard was theatre obtained. That would make it very likely to be Australian. The pattern in unique, as you indicate. It is not the standard types that are Canadian or European procured.
Old 10-03-08, 09:13 AM

hi guys
the brassard was produced by the australian gvt and distributed among the different nations involved in INTEREFT prior to it becomming a UN mission.
i had a relative that was there with the aussie troops. i bought a framed interfet display from ebay several years back. note the standard brassard with the 21 different national flags which were substituted at the top.
see pics which show the frame and a malay medic wearing brassard
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interfet display.JPG (74.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg interfet blerb.JPG (64.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg interfet pic malay.jpg (84.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-03-08, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Default Positive Id

Thanks BC for the positive id. Do you have any idea of the numbers made, when issued, etc?