British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-08, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tag It...

A request to all forum posters (or readers). Please use the tag feature at the bottom of the threads. The "tag" is a search feature that allows searches to identify information that is in the thread, but may not be apparent in the thread titles, and provides a quick link to other threads that discuss the same terms or ideas.
A thread may be named PPCLI, or 17th Lancers. This in itself is a good clue as to the contents. However, what is actually in the string is not clear. Is the string about cap badges, officers' badges, cloth titles, time period of issue, reproductions, etc etc? Or maybe the discussion in the thread has diverged into discussing some other topic, say for example, finishes or types of metals used in making the badges. These topics are not mentioned in the thread titles. Adding tags can assist forum readers in finding all the relevant (or perhaps irrelevant) information in other threads.
To assist in finding information, all registered forum users can add "tags". At the bottom of each thread there is a menu bar which is named TAGS. The left side of the menu has TAGS and the right side of the same bar has "EDIT TAGS". If you click on the TAGS link, there are examples of tags being currently used, which are also live links to other threads that have been tagged with the term. On our forum, the most commonly used tag is YEOMANRY. Clicking on that tag will take the reader to a page with all the other threads that have been tagged with that term.
On the other side of the menu, the EDIT TAGS allow the reader to add tags. Simply click on the link, and a dialogue box opens. In there the forum user can add tags.
To use a current string as an example, the Khaki Glengarry?, thread has a good title, but it does not cover the content that has developed. Discussion has mentioned A&SH wearing khaki glens, the 15th Battalion CEF, and the Kaiser's Bunker web site. A reader looking for information on these topics can use the search feature, but to maximize finding information, tags would help. If I click the TAG link, I can find all the other threads that have been tagged with those terms.
To add tags, the reader can click the EDIT TAGS link and simply add the terms to the tag line. If we all do this, especially when a thread takes a turn and goes in a different direction or brings in information or topics that are quite different from the thread or message titles, searches for information will be much easier.
The forum is now getting to the size and complexity that searches can be assisted by any of us adding tags as we see the need in a string. (Note that there is a limit on the size and number of tags that can be added to a thread.) Please add tags when you see the need.

Last edited by Bill A; 07-10-08 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Clarify my rotten sentence
Old 06-01-09, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Bringing this back to the top. The tag feature can help readers find information on their topic in other threads. Please take a second and add tags to the threads that need them. A good example is the Artillery.......the Gun badge thread. An excellent thread that is now nearly 20 pages long, with discussion about many different artillery badges, from many different nations. Adding the name of the nation or province in the tag feature would allow me to find other threads with information, for example, that mention MALTA.
Old 09-01-09, 05:45 PM

Default Can you tag in retrospect

Bill - I can see the reasoning for your plea and, although I am only a dumb former bootneck who is unsure exactly what words to put in tags, I did go back into an original post of mine to try and tag it but couldn't seem to do so (or I was not clever enough to work it out). Is it possible to add tags to any existing threads/posts (whether or not they were the originator? It would make sense if any member could add tags at a later date because different members would probably think of different tags that would be of benefit -- Ray
Old 09-01-09, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, Any registered forum member should be able to add tags to the thread. The tag words may vary depending on what a reader sees as a worthwhile link. Some are more obvious, but others may be more obscure. Give it another try and if it doesn't work pm me and will try to fix it.
Old 09-01-09, 09:03 PM

Default Cracked it

Evening Bill - Needed to get my pink & blue teddies sorted out (drill joke) as I was trying to add on wrong side of the screen. Went into the HOWE & NELSON thread and added tags of RND & HOWE (would only let me do 2). Is that the sort of thing you meant? Ray
Old 09-01-09, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Right on Ray. A blue teddie?
There is a limit on the number of tags per thread, but the tag list can be edited.
Old 13-01-09, 06:06 PM

Default Teddies at the ready

Bill - In my training in '70s, if a recruit didn't know left from right in early days on the drill square, he was given a blue teddy to hold in left hand and pink in right. We soon learnt - in order to stop looking a total prat - Ray
Old 13-01-09, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Great story Ray. Were there more blue or pinks given out?
Old 13-01-09, 07:21 PM

Default Ready Teddy Go

There was one pair of tatty teddies in the drill shed and they were usually given out as the pair. As I say this would be in the very first few drill sessions - when we Nods would lead on the wrong foot, swing the same arm and leg together etc. The idea was to get the basics sorted before they trusted you with carrying a rifle onto their beloved drill square. As you progressed so did the punishment for errors - becoming much more basic (and often brutal) -- Ray

Tags
tags