British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-19, 03:39 AM

Default Unknow WW2 UK Badge - Please help

I am a new member. I would appreciate any assistance to identify the Regiment Badge on my brother's WW2 Uniform.

Regards,
TomG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Thomas Grieves WW2.jpg (41.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 20-03-19, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

He is a 4th Hussar.

It's probably a pre war photo as the regiment converted to tanks in 1936 so the sword and bandolier would not be standard dress. They may have kept some for parade etc but the tunic went out of use in 1939/40.

Alan
Old 21-03-19, 10:47 PM

Default THANK YOU

Thank you very much Alan for the badge and tunic info. My brother went to the Gordon School for boys in the 1930ies. He must have joined the British Army soon after. I know he served in WW2, and I think that was probably in the Durham Light Infantry. I have been trying to find him and some of my other brothers who served in WW2 without any success. Do you have any ideas on where and how to search WW2 British Army records?

Regards,
TomG
Old 22-03-19, 05:58 AM

There are websites like 'Find My Past'; Ancestory and 'Forces War Records' which researchers use.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-03-19, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

WW2 records are not in the public domain but you can apply for a relatives records. There is a fee and it takes a while.
Old 22-03-19, 09:24 AM

There is a John Thomas Grieves on the 1939 Register. Born 1916 and living in Easington, Co Durham.
Old 22-03-19, 12:36 PM

Default WW2 Army Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG46 View Post
Thank you very much Alan for the badge and tunic info. My brother went to the Gordon School for boys in the 1930ies. He must have joined the British Army soon after. I know he served in WW2, and I think that was probably in the Durham Light Infantry. I have been trying to find him and some of my other brothers who served in WW2 without any success. Do you have any ideas on where and how to search WW2 British Army records?

Regards,
TomG
Here is a link to the pertinent info:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records

We applied for my grandfather’s WW2 Army records quite some years ago. Back then I think the application went off to the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow. Not sure if that’s still the case, but everything you’ll need to kick you off will be on the Gov site.

Best of luck,

JT
Old 24-03-19, 12:38 AM

Thanks all for your replies.

High Wood, in 1939 my brother was only recorded as Thomas Grieves, and was living in Stamford with wife Doris.

JT, I will have to save my pennies if I want to get all the records I want. I have 4 Uncles, Robert, Thomas, John and George who served in WW2, as well as 2 sisters Eva and Audrey, and in addition to John Thomas Grieves, 3 more brothers Christopher, Rueben and Arthur who served. I have details from Ancestry.com of my Father Christopher and Grandfather William John who both served in WW1.

Alex & Alan, I have not had much success with Find my Past, Fold3 or other record sites to get WW2 records. Remarkably all of these relatives I mentioned survived the wars, but have all now passed on. The family luck held, and I survived the Vietnam War!.

Regards,
TomG
Old 24-03-19, 01:34 AM

High Wood

I have done many searches in 1939 Register, but can't find the man you found. Can you give further details?

TomG
Old 24-03-19, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies.

High Wood, in 1939 my brother was only recorded as Thomas Grieves, and was living in Stamford with wife Doris.

Regards,
TomG
And yet your photograph in Post 1 is captioned John Thomas Grieves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doris grieves.jpg (55.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 24-03-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 24-03-19, 09:15 AM

Quote:
High Wood

I have done many searches in 1939 Register, but can't find the man you found. Can you give further details?

TomG
Here you go. Bottom of the page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jtg.jpg (54.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 24-03-19, 12:26 PM

High Wood, thank you. I think the Ancestry 1939 search portal is corrupt since recent update. His full name was John Thomas Grieves. I have his Birth Certificate.

Regards,
TomG