British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-14, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Default So wrong... soooo wrong......

The parade of repro Cdn Para Corps badges continues. This one is just SO BAD, it is unbelieveable that someone would bid on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-WW2-THE...item461af4a0e2
Old 18-02-14, 03:15 AM

It really is the same form as most of the other Brit fakes we see far too often except that it has been artificially aged... or blackened? Even if it was nice and clean there really is no reason why people should be fooled by these anymore.
Old 18-02-14, 10:17 AM

Default Airborne Badge

Are they fooled or do they just not care?
Old 18-02-14, 10:23 AM

That is awful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The parade of repro Cdn Para Corps badges continues. This one is just SO BAD, it is unbelieveable that someone would bid on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-WW2-THE...item461af4a0e2
Old 18-02-14, 10:24 AM

But, yet again, the word copy is not used in the description by the seller!
Old 18-02-14, 01:58 PM

Wink Fakes and copies

I don't think many buyers of SF badges are really worried about authenticity, they can't be by the numbers sold.

Rob
Old 18-02-14, 02:10 PM

Hello Rob,
I think that there are still a few very discerning collectors around, but, sadly there are many who are not and they continue to buy from rogues, perhaps they are just convinced in their own minds that a given item is right, despite any warning to the contary that they may have received.
It really does not help when bent dealers mix the good with the bad either!
Regards Frank
Old 18-02-14, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

The phenomena of "key board collectors" seems to be growing. These are collectors who sit at the computer and buy on-line. They seldom attend shows or go to antiques stores/dealers to check out the badges and get a "feel" for the right thing. Their research seems to be limited to whats on the net, and we all know that is sketchy.
Old 18-02-14, 03:22 PM

OMG, I have trouble with this for sure. Too many people selling these junk items.

It is for reasons like this that I have pretty much stepped out of collecting.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 18-02-14, 07:26 PM

It's listed at $20. For someone who really doesn't care about authenticity, who wants to fill a frame in their basement with something that looks "close enough", the listed badge is a bargain.

Ditto a re-enactor who observes the "six-foot rule" which used to be popular. It stated that any piece of kit that looked authentic to a viewer standing six feet away from the wearer was acceptable for use.

I would not buy it, personally, but I am sure there are re-enactors or fellows with shall we say "conservative collecting goals" who would be happy to have affordable copies to display in their homes.
Old 18-02-14, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I don't think many buyers of SF badges are really worried about authenticity, they can't be by the numbers sold.

Rob
It is interesting to note that the majority of re-enactment groups portray special forces and "elite" units. Interest in these groups is higher in all military related hobbies. Re-enactors are always on the prowl for authentic-"looking" kit, and if they can snag an actual badge for a bargain, they probably aren't inclined to ask hard questions lest they find out inconvenient truths. Their goal isn't necessarily for the badge to appreciate in value, but to look good on a soft-cap.
Old 18-02-14, 09:30 PM

Sure, this badge could suffice for mounting in a frame with a print or something similar but it's substandard IMO for even a reenactor. There are much better copies available out there that are at least the correct color and size. However, I do agree that not everyone is looking for original items for a collection and items like this fill that role.
Old 18-02-14, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post

Rob
Haha Gold!
Old 20-02-14, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
Sure, this badge could suffice for mounting in a frame with a print or something similar but it's substandard IMO for even a reenactor. There are much better copies available out there that are at least the correct color and size. However, I do agree that not everyone is looking for original items for a collection and items like this fill that role.
Sure. Sometimes you might actually want something just a bit off-size or even the wrong colour, say for a plaque or a diorama base. Not saying my own mind works this way, but there is a certain school of thought that asks why ruin a good original badge, or even a badge copy, if you can get an oddball or one-off and mount it instead.
Old 20-02-14, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The phenomena of "key board collectors" seems to be growing. These are collectors who sit at the computer and buy on-line. They seldom attend shows or go to antiques stores/dealers to check out the badges and get a "feel" for the right thing. Their research seems to be limited to whats on the net, and we all know that is sketchy.
I buy all of what I collect off the net or privately, but then again I still only see photos. I don't attend shows which are limited here anyway. If there were shows like they had over east I'd probably go to them.
I've collected this way for years, am totally comfortable with it and have never been conned on any Rhodesian para wings, PJI brevets etc.