British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-24, 03:44 PM

Default Unknown parachutists badge.

Hello, I bought this badge this afternoon, at a local antiques fair. It appears to be made from a British Parachute Regiment cap badge (plated GM). It has had the crown and wing tips removed and a five pointed GM star added. Any opinions would be appreciated. David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76D5156A-2950-4EA6-A639-F303D2F106A4.jpg (40.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 9453779C-6E1F-46BD-B924-FF91E97B564E.jpg (49.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 18-02-24, 03:49 PM

I can say it has been made from a genuine British parachute regiment badge.

Whether it is a genuine Free French / Jedburgh badge I will leave to others.
Old 18-02-24, 03:51 PM

This thread (along with others on the forum) refers to the badge:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...light=Jedburgh
Old 19-02-24, 09:15 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I’m still not sure of this badges authenticity. However I remain optimistic based on the fact that the Para badge is original and the dealer found it during a house clearance. I would still welcome any more opinions. David
Old 19-02-24, 10:11 PM

That 24hrs has passed and you’ve no had half a dozen ‘it’s fake’ replies holds a degree of promise in itself I’d say.

Similarly if you’ve had any PMs ‘enquiring’ about it I would think that is also a possible good sign.

Akin to RND MGCs this is a badge made from components where it can become worth a lot more than the sum of its parts with the right doctoring. I can only suggest if no answers are forthcoming you seek out examples that have some provenance and compare their construction with your own.
Old 20-02-24, 02:43 PM

Default Para Qual

Good day David,

While I cannot say yes or no as to the authenticity of the badge, I can say that in a couple of reference books on French para badges, this design is known (Baltzer & Michletti, Lafleur & Pugh). While the French had para troops before WW II; during the war, quals for FF para troops were a mish-mash. English, Polish, American, and even Gregory-Quilter company pins were used to denote qualification, depending on where the French troops took their training.

Photos show de-crowned Para Regt hat badges used by French troops as hat badges.

Information on your badge suggests that British badges were modified in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) or Indochina by French Commando troops returning to French Indochina after the war if the FFL metal para qual was not available. It can be seen as the precursor to the present-day French para qual which was authorised in 1955.

Again, I cannot say it's fake or genuine. As they all say on this forum, provenance is key.

Hope this helps in some way.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"