British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-24, 04:06 PM

Default WW1 Soldier QOR to VRC to RMR Cap Badge Question

Good day, just putting out a query to those who are more knowledgeable on the matter (which is probably most or all of you)

If a young lad signed up with the QOR for 6 months prior to WW1, is it likely he would have worn the 1910 OR cap badge when he enlisted?

Upon enlistment he went to the 3rd Regt Victoria Rifles of Canada, which was part of the 1st Regiment, Royal Montreal Regiment, which was later the 14th Bn RMR (CEF)

Most of his paperwork shows him as a member or 3 Victoria Rifles, later changing to 14th RMR.

Would he have worn 3 different cap badges over the period of 10 months until he was KIA?

I have the same question of his father that went RCE Militia to QOR to 4 CMR

Collector of a wide variety of Canadian Militaria
...........that my wife will sell at discount prices
or throw away after I am gone.............CHIMO
Old 19-03-24, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Del.
If I read the history correctly, the QOR service was done and he likely had returned his uniform. At that time the badges may have also been regimental property. Depending on the date he enlisted in the FWW, he would have worn the general list maple leaf badge and later the RMR badge. There is an outside chance he may have had the VRC badge, but insignia was in very short supply. Similar answer for the father. He would have had the CE badge, maybe a QOR badge and then the 4 CMR one. It is quite possible there was a general list maple leaf in the sequence as well.
Old 19-03-24, 11:36 PM

Bill, thanks for the info & thoughts. It's impossible to know if or when they received a cap badge as the records only show join and transfer dates.
With the father its a bit easier as he was older and would have been with RCE earlier in life (2.5 yrs) and enrolled again in late 1915 (longer Serial #) with the 83rd Bn CEF (QOR) went to Valcartier at some point then shipped to England end April 16, transferred to 12th Bn (Training Depot) early July then over to France end July to 4 CMR. So he probably only had the 83rd (and/or GS) until he went to 4 CMR (and probably just the GS then) but for display with his medals it should be OK to show an 83rd, GS & 4 CMR and be reasonably correct.
For the son who was active militia QOR (he was 17 1/2 when he enlisted for the CEF with the QOR and had 6 months prior) when he transferred to 3rd VRC it was still on record as the 3rd VRC, assigned RMR then 14th Bn. So it was highly possible to have been badged QOR, probably rebadged VRC (or maybe just GS) inside of the 14th Bn..... I think

Collector of a wide variety of Canadian Militaria
...........that my wife will sell at discount prices
or throw away after I am gone.............CHIMO