British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-05-21, 01:19 PM

Default WW2 ATC and ADCC

Hello everyone,

I am currently seeking anything wartime related to 136 Squadron ATC or ADCC. I am currently a civilian instructor with 136 (Chipping Norton) Squadron RAF Air Cadets. I personally collect ATC and ADCC w wartime items (amongst many other things) , but haven't been able to find a sausage to 136, aside from an old squadron photo from 1942. I also, not for lack of trying, cannot find if the ADCC number designation for Chipping Norton was 136 or something different. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to do up a display at the Squadron building to honour our heritage.

Cheers, Jeff
Old 20-05-21, 02:04 PM

Found a passage in :

"Horizons - The History of the Air Cadets" by Ray Kidd OBE

Doesn't really help you but it made me smile !

Also , a copy of the "Air Defence Cadet Corps Gazette" from July 1940 give the contact details for ;- 136 (Chipping Norton County School) Squadron which would seem to indicate that the designation was the same.

https://www.theaircadets.org/wp/wp-c...17/03/No-9.pdf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chipping Norton.jpg (104.7 KB, 26 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 20-05-21, 11:11 PM

I've compiled a list of all the A.D.C.C. Squadrons, and have similar on 2000 or so A.T.C. Squadrons formed.

The original 'No. 136 (Chipping Norton County School) Squadron', A.D.C.C., was formed in June 1939 at the Chipping Norton County Grammar School, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, with Cadet Squadron Leader A. W. Steward (one of the Masters) as its first CO.

After the formation of the Air Training Corps, 'No. 136 (Chipping Norton County School) Squadron' was officially formed at the same location on 1st February 1941 as part of the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Wing, continuing through the war until being disbanded on 31st October 1945.

No. 136 (Chipping Norton) Squadron was formed on 5th October 1949 and continues to this day.

So, as you can see, your current Chipping Norton Squadron was an open (Town) Squadron formed in 1949, distinct from the Closed (School) Squadron formed in 1941 and disbanded in 1945.

I have a number of wartime ADCC and ATC uniforms and about 60 wartime ovals but not one to 136 I'm afraid. But I hope this gives you a start.
Old 21-05-21, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
The original 'No. 136 (Chipping Norton County School) Squadron', A.D.C.C., was formed in June 1939 at the Chipping Norton County Grammar School, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, with Cadet Squadron Leader A. W. Steward (one of the Masters) as its first CO.
Found some on-line copies of the "ADCC Gazette" with a couple of bits of additional info , you probably already know them but they may be of interest to others.

The squadron wasn't 'officially' formed when the first issue of the Gazette was published in June 1939 but was listed in July under "Squadrons formed since the June Issue".

The CO (A.W Steward) and Adjutant (T.F.W Pitchers) were both appointed on 2nd June 1939.

I have found the first 9 issues of the "ADCC Gazette" are available on-line and , although not my area , they appear to be a great resource . They include orders , uniform/badge info including suppliers ect.

From October 1939 Issue :

Quote:
Cadet Corps Badge Brooches

We have received some enquiries from squadrons for Air Defence Cadet Corps badges fitted with brooch pin fastenings or bar pins . We have now made arrangements with Messrs. J. R. Gaunt & Son, Ltd., of Warstone Parade Works, Birmingham 18, to supply these, and any squadrons wishing to obtain such brooches should get in touch direct with the above firm.
https://www.theaircadets.org/media-d...corps-gazette/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted