British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-12, 06:01 PM

Default GVIR RMP Collar Dogs

Just acquired a brass example to join the silvered one I have. Does anyonme know if there is a GVIR before the "Royal" Prefix or are these the first to be introduced?

Old 18-03-12, 01:20 PM

Default GVIR CRMP Collar Dogs

Hi Gordon,

I understand that the CRMP (Royal Prefix) Collar Dogs were introduced shortly after the CMP were granted the Royal Prefix in 1946. The badges were produced in Brass, WM and silver. I believe that the WM and silver variants had one central lug, while the Brass version had either one central lug or two horizontal lugs.

Jeremy

P.S. I have sent you a note to your email re. SAKMP/SACMP stuff.

Exemplo Ducemus
Old 18-03-12, 03:22 PM

There is definately a cap badge with the GviR cypher, before and after the 'royal' prefix.
Old 21-03-12, 07:29 PM

Default GVIR COLLAR DOGS

Phil,

Not disputing that - but we are talking about COLLAR DOGS and not Cap Badges!

Regards,

Exemplo Ducemus
Old 21-03-12, 09:01 PM

Sorry

Phil
Old 22-03-12, 10:00 PM

Hi Jeremy,

The Brass Collar Dog has the single central lug, the silver one has two lugs.

I was trying to figure out whether a GVIR CMP Collar Dog existed, thinking that it was unlikely as these wouldn't be likely to be worn on BD which was normal dress for CMP at the time.

I wasn't sure when No2 Dress was introduced, thinking that it would be No2s that the Collar Dogs would be intended for.

Gordon

P.S. Loved the SACMP/SAMPK badges. Didn't realise there were so many Command variants. Another load of "wants" to add to the list
Old 02-04-12, 12:11 PM

Default RMP Collar Dogs

Hi Gordon

I have photos that show RMP Officers and WOs wearing RMP collar dogs in BD Blouses. Not sure when No2 Dress was introduced for non-commissioned ranks - but don't forget some Regular Officers would have also had/worn Service Dress.

Glad you liked the SACMP badges - i shall dig around and see if I can find some more.

Jeremy

Exemplo Ducemus
Old 05-04-12, 08:44 AM

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming that although collar dogs could be worn on BD it was not a widespread practise ? I just discovered a group photo with my father in 172 Pro Coy in 1948, all in BD, well smartened up and wearing medal ribbons, and none including the O.C., a Major, and two WOs, wearing collar dogs so was wondering if maybe the introduction of collar dogs hadn't yet happened at that stage- which would suggest that they didn't come into use until some time after the granting of the "Royal" prefix ?.
Old 06-04-12, 09:27 AM

Default GVIR MP/RMP Collar Dogs

Gordon,

My initial research indicates that the collar dog was taken into use for the first time in 1946 whan the Corps was granted the Royal Prefix. ORs wore the brass version and WO1 the silver version (but thie latter was not authorised at public expense until 22 Aug 61 (vide WOM/BR/1019/PM1)). My confusion is that WO1 were only authorised to wear the silver version at their own expense from 1957 so what did they do before?

I love badge collecting

Regards,

Jeremy

Exemplo Ducemus