British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-20, 12:24 PM

Default WBC's variations of a UDR CGC border battalion.

I was recently given access to a quantity of UDR (Conspicuous Gallantry Cross) waist belt clasps or buckles and their appurtenances.
The variations in the images are amazing. When the Regiment was formed in 1970 it was initially equipped with 1937 webbing equipment, soon replaced by '58. It is believed the brass fittings are of that period ? The scanned label seems to be LA4331905, L may be a C & 0 may be a D or P, quantity 200. Of the white coralene plastic belt 'loops', stitched was by far the commonest, followed by 2 rivet plated, 1 rivet plated and a single alloy rivet loop (1). The plated rivet loops were prone to rust.
Four different rectangular aperture buckles are evident but only two different badge sizes with matching lugs accompanied the lot (Ghosting of a Light Infantry bugle was visible on close inspection of one buckle). Are other sized UDR CGC buckle badge variants out there ? The most frequent of the badged buckles encountered is the type where apertures are closest together, some cotter pins were factory folded, long 'tails' or short, other as manufactured & slid into place. Striking seems to match Gaunt ?, but unmarked ! - both of the 2 lugged badge types.
Some of the buckles were still wrapped, wrapping varying from as issued, sellotape yellowing, through to tissue wrapping partially missing/badly soiled.
Much glue was in evidence where cap badges were employed, commonest was Wm Dowler, followed by Marples & Beasley, with finally 1 example of a Gaunt.
2 buckles were hand 'machine' engraved 6. U.D.R. STORES, one had a 5 UDR hand written label. 3 types of keeper were present, a single one seeming to match a Potter buckle.
The manufacturers small brown tape rectangles meaning is unknown ?
Were the drilled single aperture badges done by the manufacturer or the unit ?
One buckle is POTTER ALDERSHOT, larger than the others, & I believe this to be a 1950's or 60's, again this one is 'drilled'.
Two undrilled or 'punched' buckles had a badge simply applied with glue, fittings removed.
Finally, one buckle had a single rectangular aperture, a single lug badge applied with a small screw also evident, was this done by the manufacturer ? or more likely a VERY zealous QM or store man.
Comment appreciated...

The Regiment was unfairly much maligned and little understood. I remember a 'regular' member of the Regiment after giving a personal security lecture to this battalion, saying 50% of his audience had survived an assassination attempt on their person, either at home or work, and this from a decorated WO from a Bn who had suffered well into double figures KIA or murdered likewise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckles874.jpg (78.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg bucklesb875.jpg (70.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by buttonhole badge; 17-10-20 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 14-10-20, 03:03 PM

That is very interesting and to be quite honest something that I have never really looked at, I have not seen all that many of them for sale either, on the badge side, I think that I will only have Dowler, Gaunt and Marples & Beasley in my pitiful collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonhole badge View Post
I was recently given access to a quantity of UDR (Conspicuous Gallantry Cross) waist belt clasps or buckles and their appurtenances.
The variations in the images are amazing. When the Regiment was formed in 1970 it was initially equipped with 1937 webbing equipment, soon replaced by '58. It is believed the brass fittings are of that period ? The scanned label seems to be LA4331905, L may be a C & 0 may be a D or P, quantity 200. Of the white coralene plastic belt 'loops', stitched was by far the commonest, followed by 2 rivet plated, 1 rivet plated and a single alloy rivet loop (1). The plated rivet loops were prone to rust.
Four different rectangular aperture buckles are evident but only two different badge sizes with matching lugs accompanied the lot. Are other sized UDR CGC buckle badge variants out there ? The most frequent of the badged buckles encountered is the type where apertures are closest together, some cotter pins were factory folded, long 'tails' or short, other as slid into place. Striking seems to match Gaunt ?, but unmarked !, of the 2 lugged badge types.
Some of the buckles were still wrapped, wrapping varying from as issued, sellotape yellowing, through to tissue wrapping partially missing/badly soiled.
Much glue was in evidence where cap badges were employed, commonest was Wm Dowler, followed by Marples & Beasley, with finally 1 example of a Gaunt.
2 buckles were hand 'machine' engraved 6. U.D.R. STORES, one had a 5 UDR hand written label. 3 types of keeper were present, a single one seeming to match a Potter buckle.
The manufacturers small brown tape rectangles meaning is unknown ?
Were the drilled single aperture badges done by the manufacturer or the unit ?
One buckle is POTTER ALDERSHOT, larger than the others, & I believe this to be a 1950's or 60's, again this one is 'drilled'.
Two undrilled or 'punched' buckles had a badge simply applied with glue.
Finally, one badge had a single rectangular aperture, with a small screw also evident, was this done by the manufacturer ? or more likely a VERY zealous QM or store man.
Comment appreciated...

The Regiment was unfairly much maligned and little understood. I remember a 'regular' member of the Regiment after giving a personal security lecture to this battalion, saying 50% of his audience had survived an assassination attempt on their person, either at home or work, and this from a decorated WO from a Bn who had suffered well into double figures KIA or murdered likewise.
Old 14-10-20, 03:31 PM

I have a small collection of badges for belt plates here:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3131

Although there are some sealed patterns from 1967 - 1968 most are brass and not chrome plated:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...oupid=7&page=8

I believe that many are PRI items and not (generally) issued so without NSNs and Pattern Numbers. This would account for the variations found in both badges and plates even from the same Regiment or Corps. Some use the same belt plate and badge on stable belts and on parade white and green courlene belts.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 14-10-20 at 04:35 PM.
Old 14-10-20, 04:35 PM

The larger plate by Potters of Aldershot is probably for Pipers.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plate Piper.jpg (41.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 14-10-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 14-10-20, 05:53 PM

Default Piper's WBC

Good idea, I'll check out some images...