British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-16, 09:16 AM
MarkGD

DJ, many thanks for your comment, gratefully received, just to confirm, the middle one and small one WW2? I have 7 members of the family serving in the Artillery from 1860 to 1958, i appreciate it's a wide field! I'm not sure what a cascabel shape is, i have been concentrating on the dots of the carriage and what must be handles on the same carriage. Do you know of any work/reference that may help, is it your belief these are all Canadian? and if so why? comments appreciated Mark
Old 04-10-16, 09:30 PM

Mark, welcome to to world of infinite differences in the Artillery badges of the former British Empire, Commonwealth and pre Independence from Britain. Undoubtedly, the most recognized badge of the British Army. Number of rivets on the trail, on the wheel rim, length of barrel, the ground (or grass) upon which the wheel stands and other minor differences are often only the differences between manufacturers. You will find two lugs, three lugs, sliders, tangs or even screws for fixing the badge to caps, berets, wedges, helmets, bush hats and belt buckles. You may "Google" the word Cascabel, it's the breech end of the barrel.(Wikipedia has a good explanation and a couple of drawings) then I would suggest you peruse the albums of member 54bty. Go to his list of RA badges, second page bottom line shows a Canadian badge, compare the cascabel to other badges on that line. That's a start! As for time lines of use, I believe for Canadian, you might take note of member Bill A's postings in your thread. Other members too have added some useful posts. Glad to see you're smitten! Good Luck. Regards, D.J.
Old 05-10-16, 03:04 AM

Hi Mark,
Just an example of how many variations of the basic Royal Canadian Artillery 'gun' badge there are - it probably doesn't even scratch the surface and doesn't include the new designs that have been the subject of a thread on here recently or those of the CEF. I wouldn't like to think how many manufacturer's variations exist for the Royal Artillery.

Twelve of those have CANADA in the upper scroll; they are all from different dies. All of the gun badges on the board, bar one on the tartan patch, are different in regard to die, finish, applied wheel, material, etc.

The two large badges you show are definitely Canadian post 1927, the small badge I would consider post WW2 Canadian (1950s as Bill A says).

I will say however that there is an immediately recognizable design difference between the badge of the RA, RCA and RAA even though they all now have the same motto and battle honour in the scrolls (I think in the RA UBIQUE and QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT are referred to as mottos, in the RAA and the RCA UBIQUE is referred to as a battle honour and only the other is considered a motto).

Artynut has good advice on checking the albums, I also think there is some more members who have gun badge collections up for show in the albums.

Regards, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (97.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-10-16, 04:16 PM
MarkGD

Keith, many thanks, great display, wise words accepted. I'd sort of convinced myself that the older looking scully badge (which came with the buttons and collars) was WW1, it also had the 'dog tag' which for obvious reasons i didn't want to put up. Can i ask why that one is definitely after 1927? Regards Mark
Old 05-10-16, 09:38 PM

Hi Mark,

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=51990

This is a previous thread, the General Order of 1927 provided by Clive amends 1907 Dress Regulations for the Canadian Militia to change the detail relating to the badges already worn by the Permanent RCA and the Non-Permanent Active Militia CA on some forms of dress from a gun badge with CANADA in the upper scroll to a gun badge with UBIQUE in the upper scroll.

The use of the battle-honour UBIQUE had been approved for the artillery of Canada the previous year.

The three 'antiqued' brass badges at the bottom of that dispay I recall are all marked to Scully, they are all totally different and the design of the one on your right must date up until at least 2006 and even perhaps more recently. The others are post 1927 and the one in the centre is similar to yours with the applied wheel.

Keith
Old 05-10-16, 09:55 PM

Mark, Keith beat me to the mark, was just composing my post when his popped up. I am sure that by now, we who have been following the posts in this thread are pleased to see that the answers and suggestions have sorted out your original question. Good luck in you future endeavors to put your family's history on record. Regards, D.J.
Old 06-10-16, 09:55 AM
MarkGD

Gents, many thanks for your time and comments, some more research to be done! Happy these are WW2, just need to find the right individual, Regards Mark
Old 06-10-16, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

A footnote re the 1927 changes. The other ranks badges were overlooked in the first authorizatoin and a subsequent GO, # 105 / 1929, authorized the badges, cap, collars, shoulders and buttons the same design as the officers, except in brass.

Tags
artillery, canadian, gunners, ww1, ww2