British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-20, 08:45 AM

Default USAAF insignia - 9th Air Force & USAAF patches

I have just acquired the attached three patches, shown in the first two photos. These include a fully embroidered USAAF patch and two 9th Air Force patches; one fully embroidered and one embroidered on felt.

I normally only 'Buy British' - in the sense of collecting British items - but, these caught my attention as my grandfather was attached to 9th Troop Carrier Command USAAF on liaison duties during 1944. He would not have worn these, as he was British Airborne and only attached for liaison purposes. As I understand it, men in 9th TCC USAAF initially wore the USAAF patch, then the 9th Air Force patch and finally a 9th TCC patch introduced in late-1944 (and sometimes a combination of these on different arms).

Anyway, I would appreciate any opinions on these patches, as my knowledge is limited on 'things-American'? I would be interested in any insights on authenticity, as well as place and period of manufacture. I believe that fully embroidered patches were issue version made in the USA. Whereas those on felt were made in the UK.

I should mention that I already have the other patches shown in the second two photos, of which I am fully convinced of their authenticity. While the 9th Air Force patch is on felt, it is a bit different to the similar one now acquired. Also, the USAAF patch is of slightly different design in terms of the wing feathers, although to me looks identical to the pattern shown in the album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=21172
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_090704.jpg (69.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_090734.jpg (87.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_091148.jpg (66.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_091210.jpg (81.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by DougSA; 02-04-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 09:32 AM

Hi Doug

All nice WWII examples.

Both USAAF design are standard US schiffli embroidered to OQMC specifications.

The rest are regarded as British theatre made WWII era. Made by different manufacturers.

Depending on what your Grand father duties,he would of been issued US SSI as Liaison to the IXth TTC. If he did, it would of been on the left shoulder as per US regulations, his current assignment.

There have been documented cases of British Liaison personnel wearing American SSI both officers and enlisted personnel.

You normally see them in Higher HQ Commands, combined operations roles.

There were many manufacturers of military emblems in the States and so you would get slight embroidery variations , this was due to the stitch pattern that each manufacturer made as part of the their design process.

Phill
Old 02-04-20, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Lockett View Post
Hi Doug

All nice WWII examples.

Both USAAF design are standard US schiffli embroidered to OQMC specifications.

The rest are regarded as British theatre made WWII era. Made by different manufacturers.

Depending on what your Grand father duties,he would of been issued US SSI as Liaison to the IXth TTC. If he did, it would of been on the left shoulder as per US regulations, his current assignment.

There have been documented cases of British Liaison personnel wearing American SSI both officers and enlisted personnel.

You normally see them in Higher HQ Commands, combined operations roles.

There were many manufacturers of military emblems in the States and so you would get slight embroidery variations , this was due to the stitch pattern that each manufacturer made as part of the their design process.

Phill
Hi Phil

Thank you for the confirmation regarding authenticity and the further information! One clarification - would the fully embroidered 9th AF patch be UK or US-made?

Regarding the wearing of US insignia, I would be interested to hear more. I would be grateful if you can send me a PM, with more info on the mentioned documented cases. I have seen cases of British and Polish personnel wearing the First Allied Airborne Army patch, but not yet 9th AF or IXth TCC.

My grandfather was a member of British Airborne liaison staff, working with the IXth TCC in preparing for Operations in Northwest Europe; spending most of the time at Wing HQs, visiting various airfields.

Last edited by DougSA; 02-04-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 07:57 PM

Hi Doug

The fully embroidered Ninth AF is British made. There are many examples including bullion embroidered.

I should of clarified my comment in regards to the use of SSI. I have seen images of the use of American SSI by British personnel in other operations at HQ level, they were Liaison staff.

First Allied Airborne SSI/Formation Sign was worn by Allied HQ staff.

Your grandfather more likely have worn British Airborne or First Allied Airborne Command Formation Sign, your records will show what he wore.

Because he had a connection as liaison team, the patches make a good tribute/display to his service to the Allied cause and would go well with his Formation signs, cloth shoulder titles he wore, thruought the war years.

Its not uncommon for individuals to have been given US patches as souvenirs. Whether he was able to wear it would of been another matter.

Would you have images of him wearing insignia during this period?

Phill
Old 03-04-20, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Hi Doug

The fully embroidered Ninth AF is British made. There are many examples including bullion embroidered.

I should of clarified my comment in regards to the use of SSI. I have seen images of the use of American SSI by British personnel in other operations at HQ level, they were Liaison staff.

First Allied Airborne SSI/Formation Sign was worn by Allied HQ staff.

Your grandfather more likely have worn British Airborne or First Allied Airborne Command Formation Sign, your records will show what he wore.

Because he had a connection as liaison team, the patches make a good tribute/display to his service to the Allied cause and would go well with his Formation signs, cloth shoulder titles he wore, thruought the war years.

Its not uncommon for individuals to have been given US patches as souvenirs. Whether he was able to wear it would of been another matter.

Would you have images of him wearing insignia during this period?

Phill
Thank you for clarifying regarding the fully embroidered 9th AF patch. I had noticed that the design of the wings was similar to other UK-made 9th AF patches (which is a bit different to that on US-made patches I have seen online), but did not know that fully embroidered patches were also produced in the UK. I am actually happy to learn that it is UK-made

Regarding photos, unfortunately there are few surviving photos from my grandfather's Army service, and none from this period, so I cannot check photographic evidence. I have actually been trying to find any photos of the British Airborne liaison staff, attached to IXth TCC in 1944, but have so far 'drawn a blank'.
Old 03-04-20, 09:44 PM

Just to clarify, in the first (left) photo, the top left is British, the top right a standard US example, and the bottom a standard US make.
They are all embroidered", but the British one is hand done, whereas the others are fully machine embroidered cut edge US made examples.
The second photo (right), the top left is probably British machine embroidered on felt, the top right again a standard US fully embroidered cut edge, and the bottom possibly a British made embroidered on felt.
Some US made patches were also embroidered on felt, but usually had a white gauze backing instead of the black cloth as seen on yours.
Fully embroidered means that the back ground was embroidered along with the central design on a piece of twill. You can see the twill, which was cut closely around the edge. The others are all partially embroidered on a background which is separate to the central design.
The two basic Air Corps patches are just extremely common variants and the wing designs insignificant. Only the 9th AF patches and Airborne are worth something!

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 03-04-20 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-04-20, 09:54 PM

Hi Doug

Americans preferred fully embroidered "patches."

Here are just several from my collection.

I looked thru all the documentation I have but could not find a British Liaison team, not saying they did not exist but surprising they weren't mentioned.

The Liaison team research I believe would be under First Allied Airborne Army order of Battle from the British side.

IX Troop Carrier Command Final Phase European War June 45. US
Reports of Operations Market Feb 1945 British
Ninth Air Force April Nov 1944. US

I do have other files and will check.

Phill

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22. 82 Abn Div.(WWII)-22.jpg (88.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 22. 82nd Abn Div(WWII)-22 reverse.jpg (118.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1. HQETOUSA COMZ (2D)-1.jpg (67.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1. HQETOUSA COMZ (2D)-1 Reverse.jpg (95.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-04-20, 10:33 PM

Typical examples of fully embroidered patches. Usually the twill was khaki, but occasionally black or dark blue will be encountered. Also, "green backs" (green bobbin threads on the back instead of white ) are frequently encountered on ww2 made examples.
Here in the US, variants on felt or twill backings as well as foreign made are much preferred among collectors.

CB
Old 04-04-20, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Just to clarify, in the first (left) photo, the top left is British, the top right a standard US example, and the bottom a standard US make...

...The two basic Air Corps patches are just extremely common variants and the wing designs insignificant. Only the 9th AF patches and Airborne are worth something!

CB
Thank you CB for the further information!

However, the fully embroidered 9th AF SSI has wing design the same as the British-made examples on felt; which is different to the other 'issue' US-made versions that I have seen so far (e.g. attached). This suggests that it was indeed British-made. I would be interested in any further insights on this.

Price-wise, I managed to pick-up the 3 SSIs/patches (plus another unrelated patch) for just over £5, incl. P&P, so am quite happy. I shall be keeping them together with other items associated with my grandfather's service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USAAF 9th AF patches.JPG (68.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg USAAF 9th AF patch.jpg (119.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-04-20, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Typical examples of fully embroidered patches. Usually the twill was khaki, but occasionally black or dark blue will be encountered. Also, "green backs" (green bobbin threads on the back instead of white ) are frequently encountered on ww2 made examples.
Here in the US, variants on felt or twill backings as well as foreign made are much preferred among collectors.

CB
These are some US Airborne garrison cap badges also picked-up along the way... The para-glider ones (officer's and ORs) both fully embroidered, and the parachute ones (infantry and artillery/engineers) both on twill. All presumably US-made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200324_140718.jpg (76.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200324_140740.jpg (63.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190521_092454.jpg (59.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190521_092507.jpg (84.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190525_090322.jpg (53.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190525_090336.jpg (69.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-04-20, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Doug

Americans preferred fully embroidered "patches." Here are just several from my collection.

I looked thru all the documentation I have but could not find a British Liaison team, not saying they did not exist but surprising they weren't mentioned. The Liaison team research I believe would be under First Allied Airborne Army order of Battle from the British side...

...I do have other files and will check.

Phill

Phill
Hi Phill

Thank you for sharing the pics of some of your SSIs/patches!

My grandfather was on liaison duties with IXth TCC USAAF for 5 months during 1944. I will send a PM on this subject.

Doug
Old 04-04-20, 03:39 PM

I think that 9th is a US manufacture variant, but not expert enough to be 100 percent sure!

CB
Old 04-04-20, 07:51 PM

All of the above patches are British made. US made embroidered are done via the schiffli embroidery process and are all rayon based threads and have a different weave look mainly even verticle or horizontal stitch.

British embroidery used silk thread.

The one pointed out as hand guided at the very least is machine guided with possible added hand (or machine guided) embroidered thread stitching.

Hand embroidered were time consuming for Tailors. Americans, mainly officers used a lot of bullion embroidered patches where hand made was used.

Below are several British made IX TTC both paste backed.

Doug the first Airborne cap badge,officer,with khaki twill showing is WWII, the enlisted is post WWII, note it is embroidered on red twill,which started to be used frequently from the early 50's onwards.

Yes they are all US made.

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2. IXTC(CMD)(ABN)-2.JPG (49.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2. IXTC(CMD(ABN))-2 Reverse.JPG (44.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3. IX TROOP CARRIER CMD(ABN)-3.JPG (42.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3. IX TROOP CARRIER CMD(ABN)-3 Reverse.JPG (50.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-04-20, 06:27 PM

Quote:
All of the above patches are British made. US made embroidered are done via the schiffli embroidery process and are all rayon based threads and have a different weave look mainly even verticle or horizontal stitch.

British embroidery used silk thread.

The one pointed out as hand guided at the very least is machine guided with possible added hand (or machine guided) embroidered thread stitching.

Hand embroidered were time consuming for Tailors. Americans, mainly officers used a lot of bullion embroidered patches where hand made was used.

Below are several British made IX TTC both paste backed.

Doug the first Airborne cap badge,officer,with khaki twill showing is WWII, the enlisted is post WWII, note it is embroidered on red twill,which started to be used frequently from the early 50's onwards.

Yes they are all US made.

Phill
Thank you Phill, very much appreciated! I guess I will need to keep an eye open for a wartime para-glider Airborne cap badge.