British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-14, 10:32 AM

Default Finally Saying Hello!!

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member of the Fourm for quite a while now and thought it was about time I gathered up the gumption to step out into cyberspace and make a post. My name is Ron and I hail from a small town (Armidale), midway between Brisbane and Sydney, Australia.

I'm mainly into collecting Boys Brigade and Church Lads Brigade memorabilia. While I certainly don't have the breadth of knowhow some other members have in these areas, I will certainly try and help out wherever I can. I'm sure however, I do share with all of you, that great feeling when you happen upon a badge or whatever, that allows you to fill in a part of your collection, or you finally find that illusive item, or discover something new about the items you have. This is something I reckon all collectors share!

What initially drew me to this forum was a search, where I was seeking answers to that old chestnut of a question "to polish or not to polish" (badges for display). After reading the wealth of information on the subject here, I think I'm firmly in the 'don't polish' camp; no point in polishing off all that history! Likewise, I've also got plenty of food-for -thought regarding displaying and storage of items, badges etc.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 28-08-14, 11:48 AM

Hi Ron, and welcome to the Forum!

Look forward to your participation

Plenty of information and hints and tips on here regarding mounting and displaying.
As for polish vs non-polish that's always going be a matter of preference amongst members, though I've found the majority seem to lean towards a "light clean and let be" approach!

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 28-08-14, 02:16 PM

Welcome!
Old 28-08-14, 03:44 PM

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forum, grand to have you aboard.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 28-08-14, 10:06 PM

Default Church Lads Brigade

I too collect CLB badges. Most CLB badges and buckles were brass and had to be bright and shiny when worn so I polish mine. Did you know that the CLB opened a lot of companies in Australia? Johnny
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 29-08-14, 09:51 PM

Welcome to the Forum Ron - sorry mate once every thirty years in brown sauce and liquid soap add slap and tickle (old toothbrush) or? (wife's New toothbrush - if you,ve had an argument!) result clean badges and suitcase on doorstep! enjoy the Forum an amazing amount of info from posting a fuzzy picture to finding someone knows the unit, date, the bloke taking it! well! some of it! all the best billy
Old 31-08-14, 02:31 AM

Hello Again,

Thanks Colin, Alex and Roy for your warm welcome - I feel at home already. I'm still finding my feet so I hope this come through as expected!

Cheers,

Ron
Old 31-08-14, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conijoni View Post
I too collect CLB badges. Most CLB badges and buckles were brass and had to be bright and shiny when worn so I polish mine. Did you know that the CLB opened a lot of companies in Australia? Johnny
Thanks Johnny. Yep I may eventually polish some my CLB items, especially if I get around to putting them in a display. It'll bring back cherished memories of polishing all that Boys Brigade bass when I was a younger youngster!

I think we may have crossed paths before, in that I may have purchased some CLB items from you on a certain auction site. After one of these purchases, you were kind enough to forward to me the names of some of the Brigades here in Australia.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 31-08-14, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Welcome to the Forum Ron - sorry mate once every thirty years in brown sauce and liquid soap add slap and tickle (old toothbrush) or? (wife's New toothbrush - if you,ve had an argument!) result clean badges and suitcase on doorstep! enjoy the Forum an amazing amount of info from posting a fuzzy picture to finding someone knows the unit, date, the bloke taking it! well! some of it! all the best billy
Hi Billy,

I had to read your post a couple of times before I got the gist of it (I think)!! Would the 'brown sauce' be of the HP variety? I did read somewhere that you could use this to polish things. For mine, I reckon it goes down a treat on egg banjo's!! I won't have to worry about using the toothbrush of the Trouble and Strife though, I'm a lone wolf who is yet to be caught! This come's in rather handy for helping to finance my collecting!

There is indeed an amazing amount of information on this Forum, given freely by good natured people, with a common interest.

Thanks,

Ron