British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-14, 07:10 AM

Default Hi to all

Really looking forward to improving my knowledge (from zero) and seeing other peoples collections and interests. My interest comes from family history. My grandfather and 3 brothers all fought in WW1 and I have no badges from them. So I aim to collect them as a start. So Royal Scots and MGC, Scottish Horse, Fife & Forfar, RAMC and Black Watch. I understand that getting originals from WW1 is a minefield so that is why I am here. Any help gratefully received.
My first question centres around the RS cap badge. My grandfather was with the 13th btl. Were the cap badges numbered as I have seen some with numbers?
Secondly which reference book should I start with?

Looking forward to this!

Bryan
Old 02-09-14, 06:47 PM

Hi, and welcome to the site. I'm from Ireland, ex-QRIH and UDR. I'm masquerading as a collector so I can natter about military history.

You'll enjoy it here, lots of very nice people and some with tremendous knowledge which you will get to share in.

About your enquiry -
From the 1914-1918 website:

There was only ever one design of bi-metal Royal Scots cap badge in WW1. It had no numerals and the 13th Bn and all other Service war-raise bns would have worn this one. In 1916 an all brass version was authorised to reduce labour costs in the manufacture. Your Bn might have seen some of these.

Linky to article (v. interesting).

Full list of 1914-1918 general service and war raised battalions here.

Last edited by Hussar100; 02-09-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 07:05 PM

Many thanks for that. My grandfather shipped out to France in 1915 so I guess he had the two metal version. He then moved on to the MGC but could have had the brass version as I can only guess at the date as his service record is one of those missing. I will need to ask relatives for photos. Apart from the cap badge do you know if he would have shoulder badges? He was a Sgt in the RS.

Thank you again for the swift reply.

Bryan
Old 02-09-14, 07:09 PM

Hi Bryan,

A heartfelt 'welcome' to the forum. Some grand chaps here.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 02-09-14, 07:22 PM

Hi Bryan, and welcome to the Forum!
As others have mentioned, lot's of very knowledgeable and helpful members here
Any questions, just ask.

I would suggest Doyle's "British Army Cap Badges Of The First World War" as a good introduction, with many colour illustrations. It's well layed out and accessible. It has a few mistakes, but still one of the best books for beginners.

Alternatively, Gaylor "Military Badge Collecting" is very informative, and gives a bit more background.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 03-09-14, 12:58 PM

Many thanks for the advice. I have ordered them!

Bryan