British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-20, 09:59 AM

Alan
I think Chris may be talking about the badge in post 1 (Luke's), not yours. I must admit I was confused as I read it as to which he was referring to.
Mark
Old 26-12-20, 04:26 PM

My personal opinion is that both marks are wrong.
1) Luke's example ,the font is too big,the Firmin London mark is smallish
2) Alan's example ,the mark looks as if it's been done with separate letter punches. Looks also as if the pressure applied to each is different.The letters vary in height. They also are not square to each other,if you look at the "IRM" they arent parallel to each other.
Old 26-12-20, 04:47 PM

Mark, I’m afraid your badge is a cast copy of a Lambourne wonky donkey which some enterprising so and so has anodised. Back to the knackers box sadly.

Having looked at every badge in this thread my personal opinion is I’m not a fan of any of them sorry.

Chris - what’s your view on the looped sil AA ‘arm badges’ please?
Old 26-12-20, 04:59 PM

The cast badge could well be ok. In the 70s the MOD refused to pay for some Yeomanry arm badges. The DLOY ,Warks and Worcs had arm badges made in Pakistan. The Berkshire could well be.from the same stable.
Old 26-12-20, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

The Berks Yeo was wearing the Berks & West yeomanry badge in the 1960s and the RSIGNALS badge in the 1970s so they did not need a silver one. Prior to amalgamation the a/a were gold as the Berks Yeo badges were brass. So what ever the cast one is it's not a regimental commission as it's the wrong colour.

Looking that the Firmin stamp it does not appear to be individually done but the normal one punch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1731[1] (2).jpg (53.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 26-12-20 at 07:35 PM.
Old 26-12-20, 08:24 PM

The Berks and Westminster Dragoons arm badge is the silver lugged a/a badge.
Old 27-12-20, 08:56 AM

In Lieu of nothing worth watching on Christmas tv, I did a bit of trawling and I find 94 (Berkshire Yeomanry) Signals wore the Uffington Horse as a rank/arm badge as Mike had also thought. Though I couldn't ascertain if this was in a/a, the dimensions at 52.5mm x 30mm are exactly the same as the lugged a/a one I had previously discarded.

I don't know if this Volunteer unit still exists.
Cheers
Mark
Old 27-12-20, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
In Lieu of nothing worth watching on Christmas tv, I did a bit of trawling and I find 94 (Berkshire Yeomanry) Signals wore the Uffington Horse as a rank/arm badge as Mike had also thought. Though I couldn't ascertain if this was in a/a, the dimensions at 52.5mm x 30mm are exactly the same as the lugged a/a one I had previously discarded.

Cheers
Mark
Might be an idea to have a word with Chris Walker or have a look at a copy of Hodges. I'm sure theyd have more information of 94 Sig Sqn.
Old 27-12-20, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Alan
I think Chris may be talking about the badge in post 1 (Luke's), not yours. I must admit I was confused as I read it as to which he was referring to.
Mark
Hi Mark,

Yep, post 1 - never seen this Firmin mark before and slider looks LB&B to me.

Chris
Old 27-12-20, 11:05 PM

Hi Gents,
This Firmin mark on post 1 looks very similar to the suspect Beds & Herts Regiment anodised cap badge that I have.
Regards
Colin
Old 28-12-20, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

All 94 Sqn NCOs wear a silver horse as an arm badge on their No1 Dress jackets.

Whilst the officers wear the BY crescent as a collar badge, the NCOs wear half sized white horses.

See page 2 and page 27:

https://www.berkshireyeomanrymuseum....9%20vfinal.pdf

The badge in post one is a prime candidate for being derived from a lugged arm badge.
Old 29-12-20, 05:13 PM

Hi Gents,
Here is the "Firmin London" makers mark similar to Lukes silver Berkshire Territorials in post No 1.

Although the Beds & Herts badge is a very well made I believe it may well be a wrong 'un
Regards
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (86.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (82.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (112.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-12-20, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Gents,
Here is the "Firmin London" makers mark similar to Lukes silver Berkshire Territorials in post No 1.

Although the Beds & Herts badge is a very well made I believe it may well be a wrong 'un
Regards
Colin

Personal opinion Colin,wrong un. To be honest I dont think I've ever seen a genuine one. I think it's one of the few that weren't ever made.
Old 29-12-20, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Gents,

Regards
Colin
Colin, Mike,

That one usually comes with a Gaunt slider courtesy of one John Gaylor.

2. The J. R. Gaunt & Son Limited Slider Type
This unofficial commission first hit the market in the late 1980s and was well represented in many leading dealers lists by the early 1990s. The list of badges includes the following and collectors should add to this list as other similar badges come to light:
The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (non TA version) (sometimes with a fake ‘FIRMIN LONDON’ mark to slider)
etc.

Not seen it with the LB&B type slider though.

Chris
Old 30-12-20, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Cheers
Mark
Mark they are alive and kicking:

https://www.serfca.org/Reserves/Army...ignal-Squadron

I had the pleasure of serving alongside them way back when they were part of 71st (Y) Signal Regt.

Hodges has it listed with the same dimensions as you but unfortunately doesn't specify the metal or fixtures.. Apparently also used as a pouch badge.