British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-09, 07:36 PM

Default The most rare of all WW2 Canaidan badges?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Is this the most rare of all Canadian WW2 badges, it went for a good price, I don't think the seller ever expected to sell it for this price. As the description is way off and "GARRISON" was not even in the description, good on the buyer for finding it at this price, I bid but went over my budget at $1000.00 CDN.
Nice example, but I asked the seller if there were any makers name and there was not, did these badges have makers name of the reverse, how come all the real expnsive and rare badges 1CACR, 1 CAN PARA, Garrison never have makers name on the back.

Cheers from Edmonton...Mike
Old 06-11-09, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, Putting makers' names on badges is not a consistent practice. Most often makers will put their name on officer's badges, but even then it is not an absolute rule that it is done.
"Expensive" is relative. At the time, the badges were made for wear, and not subject to values being placed on them by supply and demand in the collectors' market. We are the ones that are making some badges expensive. If you compared the manufacturer's costs between badges, most came in fairly comprable with each other. Badges which were more expensive to make were usually the bi-metal badges.
The Garrison Regt is a bit of an exception to this observation. My understanding is that the bi-metal badges we find on the market today are all officer's badges. Even then, they were not all hallmarked, and in fact, I don't know if any were hallmarked. The plastic Garrison Regt badge seems to be even scarcer than the officer's bi-metal pattern. Mazeas indicates that the plastic Garrison is post-1945, which would make it a fantasy badge. The Garrison Regt had been stood down long before that time.
Old 06-11-09, 11:06 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The badge looks good, no makers mark on mine either, just the lugs resoldered. Couldn't get a good scan of the back. Does anyone know how to get a clear scan of the back of a badge with lugs? Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (32.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by boots and saddles; 07-11-09 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:56 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
The badge looks good, no makers mark on mine either, just the lugs resoldered. Couldn't get a good scan of the back. Does anyone know how to get a clear scan of the back of a badge with lugs? Ray
I have only ever managed to do this by using a camera. david
Old 07-11-09, 05:28 PM

It's certainly one of the rarer badges, if not the rarest of the WWII period issues. I believe Ursual had one on offer for quite a few years, and believe this was the one that was in the Hoare auction back in the early 90s. There aren't many around...

Regarding scanners: It depends what make you have. Many are not good at imaging 3D objects. From the scans you show on the forum, boots, my guess is you have one that doesn't do badges very well. I had a Canon, briefly, years ago and returned it as it would not do badges or medals well. I last used an Epson and it was excellent for 3D work. However, a decent digital camera, tripod and good lighting far surpass any scanner as far as versatility. Then you can learn some photoshop basics and start getting creative!

Adam
Old 07-11-09, 09:38 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam H View Post
It's certainly one of the rarer badges, if not the rarest of the WWII period issues. I believe Ursual had one on offer for quite a few years, and believe this was the one that was in the Hoare auction back in the early 90s. There aren't many around...

Regarding scanners: It depends what make you have. Many are not good at imaging 3D objects. From the scans you show on the forum, boots, my guess is you have one that doesn't do badges very well. I had a Canon, briefly, years ago and returned it as it would not do badges or medals well. I last used an Epson and it was excellent for 3D work. However, a decent digital camera, tripod and good lighting far surpass any scanner as far as versatility. Then you can learn some photoshop basics and start getting creative!

Adam
Thanks Adam, I got my badge from Ursual sometime back then, It may be the same one.

Tags
garrison regiment, makers marks, plastic