British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-20, 04:31 AM

Default ATS Shoulder Title Question

I have seen two different shoulder titles that I believe were worn with the ATS cap badge, but do not understand it, so figure I am wrong and missing something some place.

The title I would expect to be worn with it is the "Auxiliary Territorial Service" as a three color title. But the other I have seen it the "Women's Royal Army Corps" in white on a maroon color.

Can you all help me understand the difference please?

Thank you,

Terry
Old 23-02-20, 06:54 AM

The ATS was the for runner of the WRAC,
The Women's Royal Army Corps was the corps to which all women in the British Army belonged from 1949 to 1992, except medical, dental and veterinary officers and chaplains, the Ulster Defence Regiment which recruited women from 1973, and nurses. They had their own cap badge.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 23-02-20, 10:06 AM

Jerry is correct. For Women's Royal Army Corps badges see my album:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3708

Tim
Old 23-02-20, 02:17 PM

Thank you gentlemen!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Tim, a very impressive collection in your album!!!

Terry
Old 25-02-20, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
The ATS was the for runner of the WRAC,
The Women's Royal Army Corps was the corps to which all women in the British Army belonged from 1949 to 1992, except medical, dental and veterinary officers and chaplains, the Ulster Defence Regiment which recruited women from 1973, and nurses. They had their own cap badge.

Jerry
WRAC started to transfer to their parent Corps in March 1990, with the WRAC finely disbanding in April 1992. Remaining WRAC transferred to the Adjutant General Corps.

Male nurses in the RAMC started to transfer to QARANC in 1990 ceasing that Corps all female standing as well.

I have pictures of WRAC rebadging to RAOC still wearing their Green berets with Beach Brown tear drops... Al had Dark Blue berets within the year.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 11-03-20, 03:25 AM

As an add on to this thread. I have read on line this title as being both Auxiliary Territorial Service and Army Technical School. Which is correct? If the former I am interested in adding it to my collection, but the latter it would be of no interest.

Thank you!

Terry
Old 11-03-20, 04:27 AM

This is NOT Auxiliary Territorial Service
Old 11-03-20, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
As an add on to this thread. I have read on line this title as being both Auxiliary Territorial Service and Army Technical School. Which is correct? If the former I am interested in adding it to my collection, but the latter it would be of no interest.

Thank you!

Terry
Hello terry, I had spoken to a archivist of the A.T.S. about this title and she assured me this title was not worn by the women's A.T.S. but worn by the "ARMY TECHINCAL SCHOOL"

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 11-03-20, 08:25 AM

It's not Army Technical School either! That title (which I don't have so can't show a pic) was gold on black similar to the Apprentice School title shown. I think (maybe incorrect) that the title in question is a fantasy item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1072.jpg (106.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-03-20, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

Thank you!

Terry
Same title , description :

"A.T.S. Auxiliary Territorial Service WW2 cloth shoulder title

A good scarce 1st pattern embroidered black letters within a green border on khaki title.VGC"

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.p...47#prettyPhoto

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 11-03-20, 09:56 AM

The debate on this title has rumbled on for years without a definite answer.

In my book Badges on Battle Dress I note that although the ATS got battle dress in 1941 they did not get an official coloured arm title until 1945. In the interval it seems possible that an enterprising badge maker had these produced to sell to the ATS for their battle dress.

I have seen quite a few examples all of them unworn so perhaps they did not sell.

The only confirmation we can hope for is a photograph of an ATS member wearing one but as battle dress was not permitted to be worn off duty when it might have been captured in a studio photo, it seems we might have to wait a long time.

Jon
Old 11-03-20, 02:40 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I see their is debate over it. I am guessing if one came a long at a decent price I would go ahead and add it to the collection. This is my source for the picture. I found this on line, but have no idea what their source is, but thought it helpful.

Have to say how happy I am to have joined this forum, and be able to get such great discussion on the subjects that interest me. Well done all!!!!

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 11-03-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
In my book Badges on Battle Dress I note that although the ATS got battle dress in 1941 they did not get an official coloured arm title until 1945. In the interval it seems possible that an enterprising badge maker had these produced to sell to the ATS for their battle dress.
Found this on ATS Remembered website :

"Shoulder titles in gilding metal were designed and the War Office records at the P.R.O. include a cardboard pattern which was sent to the King for approval.

There was initially concern that the shoulder titles (which consisted of A.T.S. in block capitals) would be confused with that issued to the boys of the Army Technical School. In fact the King himself suggested that a cloth title be adopted for the top of each sleeve. However, F.A.N.Y. and Women's Legion members who had been transferred to the A.T.S. were allowed to wear their cloth title from those organisations, as a distinguishing mark of their prior service and it was agreed that the gilded badges would compliment these cloth titles. As the war progressed, utility versions of the badges appeared - firstly as a cloth version of the gilded title which was attached to the epaulette and eventually as a cloth shoulder title in brown, beech and green."

So there may have been a gap when "unofficial" titles were produced ?

http://www.atsremembered.org.uk/badgesgeneral.htm

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 04-11-21, 06:02 PM

Default ATS OCTU

Was this ATS OCTU shoulder title made in any other versions?

I only know of the ATS OCTU at Edinburgh - were there others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS OCTU FLASH A.jpg (17.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-11-21, 06:24 PM

Thanks for showing this title. I have never seen this one before. Do you have any other information regarding this??
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Was this ATS OCTU shoulder title made in any other versions?

I only know of the ATS OCTU at Edinburgh - were there others?

JERRY