British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-21, 05:44 PM

Default 5th Dragoon Guards

I recently acquired this silver officer's badge which surprisingly has a lug and tang. From Gaylor's book it appears this badge was issued at some time after the 1922 amalgamation and yet it is listed in K&K p203 as a cavalry badge 1896-1922 under 5th princess Charlotte of Wales's D G. I have never seen a L&T one before and wonder if any learned member knows more about when this was worn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.01.46.jpg (29.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.02.03.jpg (24.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 11.02.19.jpg (23.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 21-01-21, 06:09 AM

I thought these were pre-WWI and carried on into the war era.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-01-21, 08:37 AM

The cap badge you show was sealed in 1929 for other ranks of the new regiment. See the last two posts on this thread.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...allenge&page=2

But, Sir Cecil Blacker in "Change and Challenge: The Story of the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards 1928-1978 Together with a Short Account of Their Parent Regiments the 5th Princess Charlotte of Wales's Dragoon Guards and the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons" states that the badges adopted (for the new amalgamated regiment) were the 5DG officer's crowned VDG monogram cap badge and the small version of the 6D collar badge for all ranks. This indicates that the monogram badge was indeed used by officers of the 5DG pre amalgamation as asserted in the entry for KK 745. I do not know when they took it into use for the first time.

John
Old 21-01-21, 10:37 AM

Default 5th Dragoon Guards

Many thanks John for your informative reply. If the horse badge was the normal 5DG badge, it leads one to wonder when my badge was used - I presume it was not the FSC badge as the lug would be too long? Regards Denis
Old 21-01-21, 03:38 PM

That is really very nice indeed, I would think Edwardian, superb quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis pannett View Post
I recently acquired this silver officer's badge which surprisingly has a lug and tang. From Gaylor's book it appears this badge was issued at some time after the 1922 amalgamation and yet it is listed in K&K p203 as a cavalry badge 1896-1922 under 5th princess Charlotte of Wales's D G. I have never seen a L&T one before and wonder if any learned member knows more about when this was worn?