British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-10, 06:20 PM

Default Canadian 1st MP Det.

Can anyone tell me if these are being faked ?

This one has a bit of wear and has been laquered at some point and I haven't as yet tried to remove the laquer.
Detail is still sharp on the reverse, which is also covered in a thick laquer.

Came out of a collection being broken up and it seems that the previous owner was into laquering his stuff as other badges were like that too.

Hoping this is a good one !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpdet.jpg (31.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg cpdet2.jpg (51.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-09-10, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi ProCoy. The example you have looks good. John Cameron would be the definitive expert.
Old 08-09-10, 11:04 PM

ProCoy:

Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper is excellent for getting rid of lacquer without damaging a badge finish. It's also easy on the hands and nose.

DS
Old 09-09-10, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys !

I got it on EBay for just under £30 which seemed cheap for what I assume is a relatively rare badge and bargains always make me a little nervous :-) !
Old 09-09-10, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Good buy at a very reasonable price. That is a rare and expensive badge. Every once and awhile one goes under the radar and a bargain is had.
Old 09-09-10, 09:21 PM

Hi Procoy. That sucker looks good to me. The details on the back are virtually identical to mine, everything looks good. I have only ever had two of those badges and one was polished down to almost nothing. I've seen less than a handfull in almost 40 years of collecting. You have the rarest of the First War Canadian MP cap badges. Well done!
Old 10-09-10, 07:47 AM

Brilliant ! Thanks all. Strange thing was, that the matching Collar Dog was on EBay at the same time ( different seller) and went for a higher price, yet there seemed to be very little interest in the full size cap badge.

From the same seller though, I picked up the collar dog for one of the other WW1 Canadian MP Badges for just $20. Unfortunately the seller sent the wrong badge and I've had to return the wrong one before he sends on this one so here's hoping it does eventually arrive. Having seen some of the prices asked for the full size cap badge in this pattern I'm assuming even the lowly collar dog is worth a lot more than $20!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collar.jpg (11.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-09-10, 09:38 PM

Yep I saw the 1 MP Det. collar and put in a bid. It went for less than $5 over my max bid. I would have gone higher but as it was, if I had won it I'd have to be eating roadkill until my next payday. The only thing rarer than the collar is the shoulder title, for that, I would have gotten out the HP Sauce and eaten a skunk.

The collar for the Babin #35-1 cap badge was also an excellent deal. The last one of those I bought was two years ago and I happily paid $50 for it.

It's great seeing a fellow meathead/redcap collector do good.
Cheers
John
Old 11-09-10, 08:52 AM

Cheers John !

I have to admit I have been very lucky this year so far. Only re-started on British & Commonwealth MP stuff again after a break of a few years and managed to get quite a few pieces that eluded me in the past. Some things have been inexplicably cheap and just fell into my lap this time around. (Got a nice KC Australian MP Cap Badge last the other week for just £8. I even found the QC version in Brass hard to get in the past and couldn't believe my luck with this one.)

Did a few exercises in Germany working with the Bundeswehr Feldjäger and developed a passsion for German MP stuff too. You think Brit / Commonwealth stuff can be dear. Try $8,500 for a WW2 Feldjäger Gorget ! Out of my league for sure.

Still have my fathers WW2 MP Warrant Card and Paybook from 51 Highland Div Pro Coy so I've concentrated on collecting Paybooks/Passes etc for the German stuff. Interesting how similar the contents of the two opposing sides documentation are ! Plus its always more interesting when you can read details of where and when they served.

I really must prioritise trying to get the other two Canadian WW1 MP Cap Badges next though. I know they'll be expensive but I'll just have to bite the bullet some time.

Cheers

Gordon