British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-10, 06:57 PM

Default RCMP KC Cap Badge. Good or ?

Been after a KC badge for a while because of its association with the Canadian Military Police.

I believe that some cast examples were made in the UK at the time ?

I got this one at a price such that it won't break my heart if its duff as it will do as a space filler, but would like to know one way or another ?

Doesn't show on the scans but the lugs are quite long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcmp1.jpg (59.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg rcmp2.jpg (43.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-08-10, 07:27 PM

Hi: Scanned your badge pictures, I have one exactly like yours, paid $10 for it without knowing the authencity!! I'm not an expert, but looking at my badge I can see the quality is poor with the lugs poorly fixed and the metal (low quality brass) is of inferior design. I'm sure some of the experts on this site can probably post a pic of an original and give you a better rating. You be the judge!!
Old 06-08-10, 02:55 AM

Default RCMP KC Cap Badge

Unfortunately it's not a legit RCMP cap badge. Cast badges similar to this type have been around for quite a while though and it MAY be possible that they were made as a martingale plate, placque crest or some kind of souvenier. I would lean towards the martingale theory. Take a look at
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4064
Old 07-08-10, 08:05 AM

Thanks John !

So, possibility that it is a genuine badge, just not a genuine cap badge ?

I have a normal die stamped (as opposed to cast) example in the pipeline. Any particular tips to look out for in determining good/fake with these ( I assume the normal die stamped pieces have been faked ?)
Old 10-08-10, 07:09 PM

Default Is this good or not?

John: I've always wondered about this badge. No maker mark, but good looking bronze brazing on dark, aged looking lugs. The badge shows gilding, but it is an odd coppery hue rather than bright gilt.

I'm also curious about the flat sided bison head on some badges (like this one) vs. the detailed side on other badges.

Anyway, if you could give me your expert opinion I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCMP_F.jpg (80.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg RCMP_B.jpg (84.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-08-10, 09:07 AM

Just picked up this die struck one which looks rather like the one just posted by David above, so would also be interested to hear if these are good or not..

Re the fakes with the "Gaunt" tags, I saw a set at an antiques fair on Saturday. I didn't have any way of comparing but I got the impression that it was slightly smaller. Could be mistaken as I doidn't have it in hand just looked at it from a couple of feet away unbder glass. It was described as having the Gaunt tag so I didn't bother asking to look closer. Were these Gaunt fakes exacvtly the same size as originals ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1.jpg (38.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg m2.jpg (38.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 17-08-10, 12:18 AM

Guys, both those badges look to be good. At least they don't match any confirmed or suspected repros I'm aware of. Being in Canada I don't see many foreign repros, the most common here are the 1973 commemorative restrikes.
The King's Crown RCMP cap badge was worn from the mid 1920s to the late 1950s so a number of variations of badges exist as well as differences in quality. Prior to the Second World War, Scully was the main, possibly the only, manufacturer and No. 1 Provost Company went to England wearing Scully badges and with a stock of 100 extra badges.
In February 1941, 200 cap badges were made by Gaunt and in August 1942 a further 300 cap badges were made by Service Supply Ltd. of Worcester. Gaunt and Ludlow also tendered for that August 1942 contract but lost. I haven't yet found any later contracts but we can see that between 1939 and 1942 alone, there were at least 750 RCMP cap badges in wear or in stores outside Canada made by three different makers with at least three different dies. I have no idea if Service Supply was in the habit of marking their badges.
Old 17-08-10, 12:23 AM

Thanks, John. I appreciate your comments.
Old 19-08-10, 11:46 AM

Many thanks John ! Nice to know I seem to have found a good one.