British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-10, 06:50 PM
Peter J

Default Suffolk Regiment Badge Query

Would anyone know if the Suffolk Regiment ever wore (or were ever issued with) a Q/C cap badge, prior to their amalgamation with the Royal Norfolks?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the badge bearing the Q/C had been manufactured but never issued. Can this correct?

Many thanks,

P.
Old 09-03-10, 07:18 PM
Mr. Jackanory

It is quite possible that your supposition is correct. There was an OSD cap and an ORs bi-metal cap badge with QC. I still have my ORs version and sold the OSD to Andy.
Matti
Old 09-03-10, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Officers did wear the q/c badge as they bought their badges. ORs were still wearing k/c in 1958. As there was no Suffolk TA after 1958 (they merged with the Cambridgeshires) q/c badges were not worn by them either. Gaylor's book is the source that they were made but not worn.
Old 09-03-10, 07:36 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Several other regiments also had QC badges made such as the Devons, Borders, East Surreys and DLI. Of these regiments there is some doubt as to which of them actually issued some of the badges. The QC East Surrey may have been worn but for a very tight time frame. Other regiments did have their QC badges worn but by Territorials and cadets. This led to 'genuine' A/A cap badges with QC being worn until quite recently, some even currently, by ACFs and CCFs.
Matti
Old 09-03-10, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Would anyone know if the Suffolk Regiment ever wore (or were ever issued with) a Q/C cap badge, prior to their amalgamation with the Royal Norfolks?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the badge bearing the Q/C had been manufactured but never issued. Can this correct?

Many thanks,

P.
The Birmingham Mint Collection "Famous British Regiments" included a QC bimetal Suffolk Regiment cap badge. Although most of the collection, issued with commorative medallions in the 1970s, were in a kind of silver gilt finish, strangely the Suffolk and Royal Lincolnshire were only available in bimetal. The badges are believed to have been made by J R Gaunt but produced in the 1970s so should be classed as restrikes, reproductions or fakes - as some were the wrong size and all had sliders althoug looking like Officers' badges.
Try a search on the Forum for "Birmingham Mint", there are numerous posts and pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM Suffolk Regt bim x.jpg (98.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Bham Mint.jpg (23.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 09-03-10 at 07:42 PM. Reason: picture
Old 09-03-10, 07:43 PM
Peter J

Sterling stuff. Cheers, blokes.

P.
Old 09-03-10, 07:44 PM

Possible good one on eBay- seller is a forum member I think.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3DI%26otn%3D2
Old 09-03-10, 08:44 PM

Default QC Suffolk

A friend of mine who was in the Suffolk Regt in the 1950's said they were issued them, but declined not to wear them, keeping their KC versions.
Old 11-03-10, 12:45 PM

Default Suffolk Regt

QC badges certainly exist in OSD bronze, bi-metal and anodised. The latter 2 are frequently the subject of debate as to authenticity etc.
The other ranks' bi-metal badge was sealed on 08.11.55.
The officers' service dress bronze was sealed on 21.11.55.

I also own a silver gilt version made by Firmin London. Plate versions also exist.

This doesn't prove they were worn by the regiment though. Taff Gillingham told me he has the badges issued to the last regular officer commissioned into the Suffolk Regt- they are KC! Perhaps we can fall back on TA & cadets..

Stephen.
Old 11-03-10, 12:52 PM

Surely OSD bronze was given up long before 1955 ! ?

An individual officer wearing old KC OSD makes more sense - even if, strictly speaking, they may have been obsolete (see Robin Hodges book for wonderful photographs of all sorts of [very] obsolete badges still being worn !)
What date - for the last commissioned offr in the suffolks - are you talking about Stephen ?
Old 11-03-10, 01:52 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Julian,

I have recently parted with two EIIR crowned OSD badges, one to the Royal Hampshires and the second to the Royal Artillary, I don't know if these would fall into your category of badges that possibly should not be around post 1955 but I have been assured that they were both worn at some time ??

Does this help the debate re the Suffolk Regiments' OSD models ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1c 018.jpg (70.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1c 016.jpg (61.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-03-10, 05:10 PM

Default Suffolk Regt

Julian,
I never made a note of the conversation, but the recollection I've got is that it was 1958/59, before the Suffolk was amalgamated into the East Anglian Brigade.

Stephen.
Old 11-03-10, 06:31 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I have met Taff and have his book on the Cambs Regiment. He is areal authority and knows his stuff.
Old 11-03-10, 07:40 PM

Dave - and Stephen - I stuck my neck out there because I was hoping to get some definitive information. I had thought was OSD discontinued in about 1947 - I think there was an AO or ACI about it. Some regiments certainly didn't have OSDs after that (like King's !!). But I was dimly aware that others did ! Still, a KC being issued up to 1958 is no great surprise (the Lpl Irish wore KC WM badges up to 1964 !!!)
So, what are the "rules" ?!
Old 11-03-10, 07:45 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Julian,

[ So, what are the "rules" ?! ]...........

I'll just sit back on this one until someone does come up with definitive answers ????

Regards.

Dave.

Tags
badge lugs, badge sliders