British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-15, 03:28 AM

Default Admin / Log School badge?

Can anyone identify the center badge in the pic? It apears to be a admin logistics school badge, but i am curious as to how it was worn, cap badge , pocket badge?
2 metal caps included for size reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 15-12-15, 07:00 AM

It is a (rather poor) representation of the Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics (CFSAL) badge. The first attached image (taken from a pdf document from CFSAL) is what the full badge should look like. It appears CFSAL has been renamed the Canadian Forces Logistics Training Centre (CFLTC) and has a new badge (second attached image) according to the Canadian Register of Arms, Flags and Badges

As for official wear (if any) of the badge, I can only make a guess. I was never posted to CFSAL, nor to any other of the schools on CFB Borden, but I did a couple of courses at CFSAL even though I was neither Admin nor Log branch. I faintly recollect staff (not students) at some of the schools wearing embroidered school badges on the right breast (above the pocket and name tag) of the "work dress" jacket. Work dress was a uniform worn during the period (following unification) when all elements of the Canadian Forces wore the same green uniforms. We went back to wearing separate uniforms in the later 1980s. After a quick look through some old course photos, I did come across one picture (from 1985 or 86) showing an officer wearing work dress jacket with a school badge (CFMSS) in the location I previously noted. I don't know if the badge you showed was used for this purpose, but regardless it would not have been worn on any form of headdress.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFSAL badge.jpg (29.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg vi280_20130005_badge_CFLTC.jpg (65.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 15-12-15, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

My understanding was that the CFSAL embroidered badges were work dress jacket badges, worn on the breast. (As noted above.) There are a few minor variatons in the badge.
These types of work dress badges are not well documented and many are unofficial. Some are very hard to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-12-15 07.34.47.jpg (41.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 15-12-15, 02:19 PM

Default Workdress Badges

The Workdress unit badges are hard to find and have not been documented as they were supplied through unit kit shops and had to be purchased by the member.
Old 15-12-15, 04:34 PM

When the CF did away with the Administration Branch, I suggested that CFSAL should be changed to Canadian Forces Logistics School, or CFLS.

Phil;

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 15-12-15, 07:26 PM

It always amazed me that the Log badge was five empty boxes.
Don
Old 15-12-15, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Amazed, but also oddly prophetic...
Old 16-12-15, 08:23 PM

Unit badges on WD were authorized for Air Command squadrons and ships companies to foster esprit de corps. I have not seen references authorizing badges for schools other than CTC. It makes sense to distinguish staff from students and there may have been a way around such orders.

We always referred to the badge as crossed paperclips.