British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-08, 08:29 PM

Default 31 Armoured Brigade

Hi,

Does anyone here have a grouping of insignia from a veteran of the 31 Tank/Armd Brigade (1944-1945). I am looking for photos of genuine British examples of the green hourglass (diablo) patch.

In my research of the 1st Canadian Armd Carrier Regiment (att'd 31 Armd Bde) it seems the "Canadian kangaroos made their own, "in-theatre" patch and would like to compare in construction, shape to genuine British patches. Perhaps the British veterans did the same while in NWE? This patch seems quite rare (in Canada anyway) and I have only seen a very small sampling of genuine patches.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Bill.
Old 18-02-08, 07:02 PM

Hi Bill, the British patch you mentioned is the only example I have from WW2. I'll post a pikky soon.

Regards,

Garry
Old 20-02-08, 09:01 AM

Bill,

Photos as requested:
31st-TB.jpg31st-TB-1.jpg

Regards,

Garry
Old 21-02-08, 05:19 AM

Default Thanks!!

Garry,

Thanks for the photo. That is definitely a purpose made patch, quite unlike what I am used to seeing. I am posting a selection of Diablos used by the 1CACR in 1945. Typical of all the genuine Canadian diablos I have seen they are handcut from green wool/melton. The hourglass is much taller and broader at the apex, the elongated variety on the right is common. All of these came from the estate of Trooper Karl Lemon. The patch on the far right is attached to a piece of black wool. This "fancy" style of patch wear was officially disapproved of, however after disbandment many men, including Lemon went back to wearing both the 31 Tk and 79 AD patch in this manner on their battledress.

Thanks again.

Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JS_Lemon 31Tk_Diablos.jpg (42.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 21-02-08, 05:36 AM

Default Tpr Lemon's BD tunic

A fantastically well preserved tunic (also has pants/beret/greatcoat)
All the patches have a black wool backing. I have seen this on another existing tunic, in photos and it is mentioned (unfavourably) in the War Diary.

Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WJM_LemonBD.jpg (63.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 21-02-08, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default 31 Bde Diablo

Bill, Do you think that the purpose made patch was ordnance issue for the British units in the Brigade? It does look much more professionally made than the Canadian types.
Old 22-02-08, 02:11 PM

Default Diablo difference

Bill,

I would consider the British issue Ordnance, it looks machine sewn, well made. It is possible that the 1CACR received some of these when they first joined the Brigade in December of 1944, however among the veteran collections I have seen, i have never come across a "purpose" made patch, they all seem to be handcut/homemade, hence the different shape and different construction.

It is also a possibility that the brigade or Division never supplied them at all!? (though I have recorded veteran recollection of the patches being "supplied"... just not sure by whom) I have a portrait of a "Kangaroo" Sgt. taken at Christmas 1944, showing him wearing the 79th AD patch and the generic CAC title, but no Brigade patch?

Particularly as the unit moved into Germany early in 1945, they were perennially caught in limbo between 1 Cdn Army and 2 British, neither wanting to really take responsibility for outfitting the unit.
Old 25-02-08, 03:18 AM

Default 31st Diablo patch...

Here is a Diablo still on a piece of BD sleeve....this example is British and came from an extremely derelict British BD in Holland.....the jackets posted below are of Lt.H.R. Craig.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/militariaguy/152-5230_IMG.jpg[
Old 25-02-08, 03:20 AM

more...

Old 25-02-08, 06:08 AM

Default Brit made 33 Brigade flash for comparison...

....Seems fairly well made with machine stitching..2 pieces sewn on wool backing.
Old 05-03-08, 12:15 AM

Smile bgpipes

Hi Mike, QUESTION? From whence comes the term "diablo" ? Bill E.
Old 01-07-08, 04:11 AM

"Diablo" comes from the children's toy, spelt "diabolo" in the Oxford dictionary: it's either the two-headed cup that you flip around to catch a ball in, or the double-ended top that is spun (on a stick?). Something like that, anyway. Now will someone please sell me an authentic diablo patch?