British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-20, 07:54 PM

Default Woven WW1 AIF Patches

Could anyone give me the background to the woven type of WW1 AIF Battalion Patches? They invariably appear to be mint unissued when they appear for sale. I am considering buying a couple to go with various AIF items I have.

Thank you

Mark
Old 03-01-20, 09:23 PM

There were numerous makers and varying styles. I think a lot that are on sale are reproductions. The AWM has photos of a number of them.
Old 03-01-20, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
There were numerous makers and varying styles. I think a lot that are on sale are reproductions. The AWM has photos of a number of them.
why do you think they are reproductions?
bc
Old 03-01-20, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
Could anyone give me the background to the woven type of WW1 AIF Battalion Patches? They invariably appear to be mint unissued when they appear for sale. I am considering buying a couple to go with various AIF items I have.

Thank you

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm assuming that you are referring to the patches woven on a khaki jean material with selvedge?

These appear to have been manufactured in Australia at or towards the end of the Great War, possibly as an economical substitute for wool. They are rarely seen on Great War uniforms but were worn folded as miniatures by ex-AIF personnel, and were worn in the Citizen Forces between the wars.

They are very similar in manufacture to the United States 'Liberty Loan' style of shoulder sleeve insignia from the same period.

There is no evidence that they have been reproduced in any form. Worn examples exist, these include from my former collection a 26 Bn patch with woven brass wire 'A', and a 24 Bn patch with golden yellow embroidered 'A', although the latter was not worn.

They would be ok to display with AIF items, I still have a couple of artillery ones, but they are not typical of colour patches actually worn abroad.

Cheers,
Keith
Old 03-01-20, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
The one's that one see's on ebay are correct as I know the source of these as these came out of a factory in Melbourne Australia that use to produce them and a chap bought a large box full.

Cheers Rob
Old 03-01-20, 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=MH331;496301]Could anyone give me the background to the woven type of WW1 AIF Battalion Patches? They invariably appear to be mint unissued when they appear for sale. I am considering buying a couple to go with various AIF items I have.

Thank you

Mark[/QUOTE

And what would be the AIF items you have Hmmm

Rob
Old 03-01-20, 11:58 PM

Thanks all very much for your replies. My AIF collection is small. A couple of paybooks, some unrelated id discs, a couple of wool/cotton? battalion patches. It’s hard to buy AIF items in the UK due to the high demand and prices. A few Australian eBay sellers have woven patches on sale which would compliment my small collection but I know little about this type of patch.

Regards Mark
Old 04-01-20, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks all very much for your replies. My AIF collection is small. A couple of paybooks, some unrelated id discs, a couple of wool/cotton? battalion patches. It’s hard to buy AIF items in the UK due to the high demand and prices. A few Australian eBay sellers have woven patches on sale which would compliment my small collection but I know little about this type of patch.

Regards Mark
Mark which Ebay seller are you thinking off , if its chariklia1963 he is a mate so no problems with him.

Rob
Old 04-01-20, 12:24 AM

Hi Rob,

Yes that’s him.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Mark
Old 04-01-20, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Yes that’s him.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Mark
Mark when you buy them just mention my name and tell him you are a mate of mine and he will look after you on postage .

Cheers Rob