British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-09, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I can confirm that I had in my collection, until stolen, The 7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles in Staybrite(a/a) in both voided and non voided versions. Alas I do not have photo's to prove this.
Thanks Engr9266,

I have been doing some work on these and it is often the case that these badges are from one and the same die. The difference is is that one of them (the non voided) was not fully finished via what is called the 'pierce' stage. This is the stage where the voiding is carried out after the obverse of the badge has been fully formed.

As such, although I cannot vouch for yours I can for my 10th Gurkhas both void and non void. Both came from the same obverse die and the same exact die flaws are found on both badge obverse surfaces.

Beware with these unvoid badges sold by dealers as 'rare' variants as most are probably unfinished badges with little (in my opinion) value.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-05-09, 01:33 AM

Hi Guys,

Have updated the list with the following and added some comments.

29. 6th Gurkha Rifles no crown requires re entering
31. H.A.C silver & Gold - now exists
34. University Of London K.C - now exists
53. n/a variant - Ayrshire Yeo large "of" now also exists.

Remember, the list currently takes no view on the status of a badge being authorised and issued or as being an unofficial commission.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-11-11, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-origin...item256992d5ba

£90 for Fife and Forfar badge. Somebody would be better off buying a copy of your book with that money. Please do not let this bidder be a Forum member!
Old 25-11-11, 09:18 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Thanks to all involved here.

Going through each of these:

Royal Horse Guards - still not found any evidence in List of Changes or other material but that is not to say that they did not exist.

Essex Yeo 47mm - Yes, we have examples of this and the smaller 32mm version.

Leicestershire Yeomanry - Sealed on 31st May 1950 and recorded in List Of Changes 1950 so examples could exist.

Warwickshire Yeomanry - Sealed on 6th Feb 1952 so examples could exist.

Many Thanks for this - Initial list updated with comments.

Regards

Chris

Perhaps the RHG badge is being confused with the Household Cavalry ORs forage cap badge?

Andy
Old 25-11-11, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-origin...item256992d5ba

£90 for Fife and Forfar badge. Somebody would be better off buying a copy of your book with that money. Please do not let this bidder be a Forum member!
Well the Highland Yeomanry on the left is OK but the other is an unofficial commission from the late 1980's instigated by a dealer.

This is waht I have on the Highland Yeomanry:

1. The correct designation of this badge is the Highland Yeomanry which replaced the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and Scottish Horse in 1956.
2. This badge is described by Edwards as ‘...A knight in armour mounted on a horse caparisoned (the County badge of Fife, known as the Thain of Fife) superimposed on St. Andrew’s Cross...’.
3. There is no evidence of the preceding badges of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and Scottish Horse being authorised for issue in anodised aluminium with the Highland Yeomanry badge initially catalogued as CB 7972, in LoC change C 8857, dated 30th November 1958. This was two years after the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry and Scottish Horse were amalgamated to form the Highland Yeomanry.
4. Contract No. 1302, dated 13th May 1960, consisted of 200 badges that were sent to Branston.
5. Priced on the 25th November 1966 at 3 shillings and 5 pennies each.

My youngest daughter is going to be as happy as a dog with two bones when I show her this. A few years ago when going through my duplicates box she found the 'horsey' badge and prised it from me for a stick of licorice and three jelly babies...

Smart kid.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-11-11, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Perhaps the RHG badge is being confused with the[B][I] Household Cavalry ORs forage cap badge?

Andy
Hi Andy,

Yes. This is what I have:

1. Authorised to also wear in the forage cap, the badge of the Household Cavalry (Other Ranks).

re: book.

I am awaiting two packages from the UK of badges. Andy, expecting yours today or tomorrow. I have about 70% of the book ready for printing with the rest under going peer review and of course the badges in the post neeed to be photographed. I have done a contents sheet via InDesign (the publishing software the book is written in) and the page count (letter size) is 632. This will expand up to about 650 when I finish one appendix layout and build an index.

As soon as I get the badges currently on their way photographed and the images peer reviewed I will incorporate them into the book and then get final quotes for printing. If I get the badges soon I hope to do all this within two weeks but fear that it will be early next year now before printing is completed.

Regards

Chris
Old 25-11-11, 09:50 PM

Only just switched on,- have a hirstpierpoint ccf all gold slider j.r.gaunt b,ham
wiltshire regiment-slider small lettering gaunt london
wiltshire regiment grove mfg .B,ham rivetted slider
a a/a wilts was sold by bosleys i think it made £400.00
allthe above are shown in my albums
Old 25-11-11, 09:52 PM

Only just switched on,- have a hirstpierpoint ccf all gold slider j.r.gaunt b,ham
all the above are shown in my albums
Old 25-11-11, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
all the above are shown in my albums
Hi Lassiepen,

This 'Fantasy' list is pretty old now and quite a few, including those you have mentioned, are deemed to be OK.

Regards

Chris