British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-12, 09:38 AM

Default Pilots in the Navy

I got given an article about S.A.A.F pilots who transferred over to the Navy after WW2. I also saw a recent picture on Pre1994 Navy pilots wings which there were only 2 of. Both of these I have posted. Any other photos, comments, or info regarding this very small field of collecting?
Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navy Wings 1.jpg (99.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SA Navy Pilots wingc. early 1970's 2 ever made.jpg (44.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 20-06-12, 09:57 AM

Hi Jimmy
I don't think this can be considered a field of collecting, these wings are so rare that the chances of getting one is about 0...
The wings used to be in the Naval museum in Simon's Town but the pilots wings were given to the SAAF museum at Ysterplaat. They still have Capt MacNaughtons unique wing though.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-06-12, 10:48 AM

Hi Jimmy/Alex, very interesting. Surely there would have been more than 2 wings made. At least for more than one uniform? I agree with Alex, chances of finding one is a 1000 000 to 1. If you do it will likely be fake. Regards Andrew
Old 20-06-12, 02:17 PM

Hi Jimmy
Your post got me to thinking about an odd pair of SAAF pilots wings I have in my collection, turns out they match the Naval Wings you posted, so I believe I actually can claim to have some, what are the chances, hey???? This is a big gloat, ha ha... Your post was the first time I have actually seen the naval pilots wing.
Here they are...
Andrew - yes there must have been quite a lot of pilots wings made, it was only Capt MacNaughtons wing that was unique I believe.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06530.jpg (33.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Alex Rice; 20-06-12 at 02:18 PM. Reason: More to add
Old 21-06-12, 05:06 AM

Hi Alex, great find. Well done. Sometimes these things are right in front of you. Have a grand day. Regards Andrew
Old 27-06-12, 09:50 PM

Hey Alex, that is amazing! Well, now you are going to have to either sell the badge (you can tell that I am a tad envious), or start up a Navy Pilots collection. My vote is for the latter now that you have proved it is indeed do-able. I love those little surprises in life, nice one!
Cheers,
Jimmy
Old 28-06-12, 06:51 AM

Hi Jimmy
I'm already a big collector of SAN badges, so this fits in with the collection very well!
Cheers,
Alex

Tags
air force, navy, pilot, s.a.a.f.