British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-10, 01:47 PM

Mike,
It would all fit, especially as the crown is the 'Imperial' version often associated with the Empress/Emperor of India.
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
agreed Jerry, if you accept the story that is, we must all be doubting thomas's in this game 'till the evidence proves otherwise. But I must say I've got a good feeling about this lot.
Old 21-08-10, 02:47 PM

The KLR cap badge was made before 1915 - but that doesn't mean it was not worn during (or even possibly just after) the war.
It certainly looks like a good collection.
Old 21-08-10, 02:55 PM

Default Odd ones . . !

What is the large badge with wings above the American cap badge? I have never seen this badge before. Is the American eagle made of brass/copper?
Old 21-08-10, 03:08 PM

The American cap badge is a US Army officer's cap badge. Everyone I have ever seen has been made of brass. This looks like white metal. Many of the WWI US officer's insignia I am familiar with, and I don't consider myself an expert, are black. As these insignia came from that era I am stumped.

Don
Old 21-08-10, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
The American cap badge is a US Army officer's cap badge. Everyone I have ever seen has been made of brass. This looks like white metal. Many of the WWI US officer's insignia I am familiar with, and I don't consider myself an expert, are black. As these insignia came from that era I am stumped.

Don

Hi Don, it's just the photo, it's definitely brass, and, now you mention it, having a look with the glass,.... this has had a black finish at one time....what a team we are.

Old 21-08-10, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
What is the large badge with wings above the American cap badge? I have never seen this badge before. Is the American eagle made of brass/copper?

It's a heavy cast brass.... something.....looks central powers..ish to me. Could still fit the story if some Tommy had it as a souvenir.

Old 21-08-10, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Think the IOW Rifles was a blackend version, but now a bit rubbed?

Old 21-08-10, 06:28 PM

Smile Eagle

It could be Serbian or Italian, some British troops were in Italy.
Old 21-08-10, 07:18 PM

HI for what its worth , I have seen a great war period photo of a large group of wounded INDIAN soldiers out side the Pavilion at Brighton , cant remember where i saw it think it was in one of those ` history of the great war `volume sets that were around years ago , hope this is a little help ,Michael.
Old 21-08-10, 07:40 PM

Default Kiwi badge

Hi Mike,
A lovely vintage collection you have. The kiwi in the fern-leaves (Second row, far right) is a scarce left collar badge of the 4th (Otago Rifles) Regiment worn prior to the First World War. The usual collar badges worn in WW1 are as pictured here. It is possible the New Zealander was wearing your badge at the time but not likely. Maybe he gave the boy his obsolete version.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4thOtagocollars.jpg (77.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 21-08-10, 09:41 PM

the large eagle badge has the crown of Imperial Germany until 1918. Possibly a pouch badge. Sorry, I cannot tell anymore.
cheers
Birger
Old 21-08-10, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It's a heavy cast brass.... something.....looks central powers..ish to me. Could still fit the story if some Tommy had it as a souvenir.

This may be an Askari Tarbush (peakless kepi fez type hat) Eagle worn by locally enlisted troops in the service of German East Africa.

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germanc...0eagle%201.jpg
Old 22-08-10, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
This may be an Askari Tarbush (peakless kepi fez type hat) Eagle worn by locally enlisted troops in the service of German East Africa.

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germanc...0eagle%201.jpg
Hi Mike,

Grey Green Acorn is quite correct, this particular headdress devise was worn by German African askari known as Schutztruppen during the Great War in Togoland, Cameroons and German East Africa. The Imperial War Museum had nice example that was brought back from the Cameroons campaign on display the last time I was down that way. I also understand that the white metal pattern was worn by the native infantry, and the brass by the native askari that saw service with the Polizeitruppe. I've attached a scan of two such badges from my own collection, the first is a die struck white metal version and the second cast brass with fields repairs.

I found the following link that may help.
http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/

Best regards,
Zob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (41.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 22-08-10, 12:33 AM

Hi Mike,

When I first read your reply, via email, I thought your eye sight must be much better than mine. When I got back on the forum I was greatly relieved to find that my eye doctor really does do good work! Great closeup. I really don't know a great deal about our (US) insignia from the First World War. I would like to hear the story behind this badge as to how and why the black. Another avenue for future research.
Don
Old 22-08-10, 07:30 AM

From the Imperial War Museum Collection.

"A Cameroon Schutztruppe African Soldier's Fez with white metal eagle and black tassel. Note how the fez is worn rolled down. The German term for this kind of headgear is appropriately a "Rollfez". Although we can't see the underside of the fez on display at the museum another example has been seen with the issue stamp "KA 1906" (for Kamerun or possibly Kolonial-Amt and date of issue) similar to those on other German issued equipment".

"A close up of the white metal eagle on the Cameroon fez. The fez would have been identical for the Cameroon Polizeitruppe but for the eagle being brass rather than white metal as shown here worn by the Schutztruppe."

I stand severely corrected, on first looking at the badge I was sure it was Imperial Russian!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cameroon%20fez%204.jpg (10.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg cameroon%20fez1.jpg (11.3 KB, 25 views)