British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-05-21, 07:22 PM

Default Family Member Medal Assistance/Advice Please

Hello All

I have been given the details of a distant family member who my brother in law is trying to research and identify if he was issued with any medals for his military service. I know there are forum members who also collect medals and have access to those particular registers so I am posting to see if anyone could tell me if the family member was issued any medals.

His name was Hugh Clydesdale and the details I have managed to find so far are listed below but may be a bit out of synch.

Private Hugh Clydesdale Date of Birth May 1879
I have 2 Service Nos for him - S/3630 & 397106
I believe he enlisted on 28 June 1908 in the Royal Irish Regiment but I have him down as being in the 2nd Bn & 6th Bn and then the Labour Corps
He was discharged due to sickness on 20 Sept 1918. Discharge Unit – 469 H.S.E. Co Ex R I Rifles
Posted to 296 Scottish Command Depot Labour Company on 5 July 1918
Posted 469 on 17 July 1918
Discharged 20 Sept 1918

I have also seen a note stating Attestation for the militia reserve RIR 6th Bn 28 June 1899 S/N 2492
Posted to 2nd Bn 18 Jan 1900

He was issued with a Silver War Badge, Badge Number B3819

If this makes sense to anyone and you are able to advise me on any medals he may have earned I would be very grateful

Many thanks in advance

Paddy
Old 08-05-21, 08:59 PM

Paddy,

he is entitled to a 1915 Trio, see his Medal Index Card and SWB card attached.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mic.jpg (48.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg swb.jpg (80.1 KB, 27 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-05-21, 09:08 PM

Default medal

Hi Paddy,

his service record is on ancestry. Entitled to 1914/15 star, british war medal and victory medal. He spent some time as ' an officers servant ' and his record shows drunk on duty a few times Obviously had an interesting time in the army ! Looks like he originally joined up in 1904 then was re-engaged.

Let me know if you need anything else..

Mark
Old 08-05-21, 10:16 PM

Simon & Mark

Many thanks for your quick replies. Knowing the family it doesn't surprise me the bit about being drunk on duty

Paddy
Old 09-05-21, 12:07 PM

An interesting character, I note he also served with the 170th Tunnelling Company RE too, potentially very dangerous work, it does bring humble pairs and trios alive and makes you reflect upon how very hard earned they were.
Old 09-05-21, 01:35 PM
MarkGD

Paddy,
There is a QSA to Pte H Clydesdale 2419 2nd Bn Royal Irish Rifles, entitled to clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal & Orange Free State. I can also see a KSA with Clasps 1901 & 1902 to Pte H Clydesdale 2492 5th Bn Royal Irish Rifles (highly likely these are both to the same man) as the numbers don't appear against another H Clydesdale.

There is a Militia attestation for this soldier as 2492 first name Hugh, states he was mobilised 15Jan1900. This would correlate with your man, possible when transferring from the militia to the reserve to the 2nd Bn, his number did change. Worth a deeper dive into. Regards Mark
Old 09-05-21, 01:43 PM
MarkGD

Paddy, further to the above, just checked the record found by Manchesters, same man, born: same, age: same, signature: same. Father Allen Clydesdale. Regards Mark
Old 11-05-21, 07:23 PM

Mark & Frank

Many thanks for the extra input. He certainly looks like he had an active service life and it means a few more medals to source for the family.

Paddy