British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-16, 12:49 PM

Slight drift, my grammar school tie was exactly the same as a Guards Tie but with the stripes going the other way. Causes confusion and/or apoplexy when worn. . . I usually wear my HAC tie though
Old 02-04-16, 02:36 PM

I am still not sure whether or not it has been confirmed that this is an HMS Conway badge or not.
But I would like to throw in another possibility& wonder if this badge could be connected to the Isle of Wight (Carisbroke Castle) ?
The Isle of Wight Flag depicts a similar castle & has a nautical theme too.
Thanks RE

Old 02-04-16, 02:49 PM

Hi Eddie - the MOD do not allow the reproduction of any British Special Forces Insignia on any product whatsoever.
The MOD Tri Services Emblem is also not allowed to be used on any product but there are thousands for sale on the internet.
RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
It's rather difficult to answer the last question precisely but - yes they are Guards colours. Are they exclusive to the Guards especially when associated with a naval crown? No

Perhaps some people don't realise that these badges have no official standing. They were made by a number of firms including Gaunts and sold in a wide variety of outlets including the Naafi fancy goods shops. There was no control over who bought them or who put them on their car. For PERSEC reasons they are not fashionable now and may even be banned for serving personnel.

Not so long ago there was a thread about an SAS car badge which reduced some members to apoplectic rage when it was suggested that just anybody could buy one and you didn't have to have been badged to qualify.

Eddie
Old 02-04-16, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamelbages View Post
Hi Eddie - the MOD do not allow the reproduction of any British Special Forces Insignia on any product whatsoever.
The MOD Tri Services Emblem is also not allowed to be used on any product but there are thousands for sale on the internet.
RE
Try telling that to all those people on ebay and elsewhere selling SAS fake/reproduction insignia and the like! Or does that not count? Not much use having such a restriction if it is not going to be enforced, especially when so blatantly broken by so many.
Old 03-04-16, 06:46 PM

One of the joys of copyright and other intellectual property laws and regs is that abuses are civil, not criminal, offences. So, the ball is entirely in the 'owner's' court when it comes to enforcing one's rights. That's why large corporations, like Disney for example, have lawyers on retainer to protect their copyright. I don't imaguine the MoD spneds much energy or any money on the issue, though the law allows them to do so if they decide they need to.
Old 06-04-16, 06:33 AM

Does the castle on this item look familiar ? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODEN-SHI...kAAOSwAvJW97ar

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-04-16, 07:22 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Does the castle on this item look familiar ? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODEN-SHI...kAAOSwAvJW97ar

P.B.
Peter

Thats an HMS Conway shield. See post #16

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 06-04-16, 07:28 AM

Griff,

Yes, I wonder where the seller got the "HMS Implacable " description from ?

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”