British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-15, 05:15 PM

When I served in Northern Ireland 68-69 we wore rank slides on the epaulettes that were made in the unit tailors' shop. These had no vocab numbers on them but I wouldn't call them fake or fantasy.

Last edited by REMEVMBEA1; 22-02-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 23-02-15, 12:58 PM

Ed, I am curious where you got the slip-on?
Old 23-02-15, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
When I served in Northern Ireland 68-69 we wore rank slides on the epaulettes that were made in the unit tailors' shop. These had no vocab numbers on them but I wouldn't call them fake or fantasy.
True, we wore locally knocked up coloured shoulder tabs too.
Old 23-02-15, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
I agree with Ed, We have guys in the unit with the new Cadpat shirt with the Velcro rank. Its not issued yet ( at least to the reserves) so they have to buy it themselves and wear it. I classify it as private purchase. As long as it is authorized from the unit, I see that as being legit.

Colin
And this is where the problem is; units are not allowed to authorize insignia like this. All insignia is supposed to be approved by DHH and for CADPAT, the Commander, Canadian Army, based on decisions made by the NDCDC (National Defence Clothing and Dress Committee). Just because some CO says it is OK, doesn’t make it so. The Militia is especially bad about this; one of the local units has made up and issued decorations for wear in DEU at unit functions, totally against all orders and protocols. Does this make it legit just because it is worn? I understand that things were a little different on operations; there were more things to be concerned about than moral patches, or unit identifiers.

Last edited by ddaydodger; 23-02-15 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23-02-15, 05:15 PM

But the problem is that clothing stores issues the new Cadpat shirts but the guys can not get the Velcro rank patch to put on it and they are told to buy their own. IT IS NOT ISSUED! If they do not buy their own they would not have anything. How is that right?
DHH have made so many mistakes that they shouldn't be allowed to decide on things. IE: so many units have blue facings on the uniform but are not Royal Regiments, they do nothing about this.

Colin
Old 23-02-15, 05:50 PM

It really does come down to what was authorized and what was actually worn.

Back to the original post. Has this slip-on ever been worn by The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa's drum major? If yes, good - even though it may not be official. If not, then it is a fantasy piece.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 23-02-15, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
But the problem is that clothing stores issues the new Cadpat shirts but the guys can not get the Velcro rank patch to put on it and they are told to buy their own. IT IS NOT ISSUED! If they do not buy their own they would not have anything. How is that right?
DHH have made so many mistakes that they shouldn't be allowed to decide on things. IE: so many units have blue facings on the uniform but are not Royal Regiments, they do nothing about this.

Colin
Could you give an example of which Regiment? I'm curious. Another point of view, I deal with DHH routinely, and yes they make mistakes, they also give answers that don't make people happy based on their research. I usually find them well informed and highly useful. The other problem I have encountered when asking questions about my unit is that the unit never asked DHH, or informed them of changes, not DHH's problem, but the units.
Old 23-02-15, 06:40 PM

The Hi-Vis Drum Majors rank slip on has not been worn by the CH of O and we don't even have any. There are Low-Vis ones but are only worn occasionally.

The CH of has been wearing blue facings for maybe 30 years or so but up till a couple of years ago didn't have any connection to Royalty.

The Vandoos wear bearskins. Their tradition is of a fusilier Regt, The Royal Welsh Fusilier who wear Sealskin Busbies. They have infantry pattern cuffs but wear a bearskin, did DHH ever ask them about that?

The RCN says it is the senior service but were started in 1910. Lots of Army Regiments are way older than that and before anyone goes into "they take their traditions from the RN" Why cant the Army do the same.

Probably out of DHH's scope but why do Police wear Infantry Sergeants sashes?

Colin
Old 24-02-15, 02:55 PM

Default A Couple More Drum Major Badges

Good day all,

Hope I don't throw any more gas on the fire with these!! I was Drum Major of the Pipes and Drums of the Second Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment back in the late '80's. This was around the time everyone wore their rank on the epaulettes, Officers AND OR's (shades of saluting Corporals because one thought they were Lieutenants. LOL).

The first is a made-up rank slip-on for the Work Dress Sweater, using a pair of trimmed, reversed Corporal chevrons. The second is for the OD combat uniform, and I am not sure from where, but I believe it was done up by a local shop near CFB Gagetown. It was originally sewn on an OD slip-on.

Cheers,

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dr.Maj. WD.jpg (28.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Dr.Maj. Cbt.jpg (45.2 KB, 26 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

Last edited by Ian B; 24-02-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 24-02-15, 06:12 PM

Not the first time this was done, RCHA c1965

Last edited by ddaydodger; 22-03-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 24-02-15, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bruce, What RCHA appointment is that?
Old 24-02-15, 06:39 PM

The description for the photo is:
"Drum Major Pete Clatenburg, a member serving with the 2 Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, part of the Canadian NATO brigade in Germany. Here he relays firing orders to his gun detachment during an artillery shoot at the Hohne ranges in northern Germany."
Photo DND
Old 25-02-15, 03:31 PM

It might be interesting to throw this in:

In the British army a colonel commanding a battalion or regiment is allowed to make two dress code changes during his tenure. Is that the same in Canada, because if it is, it might answer one or two questions.
Old 25-02-15, 04:29 PM

3. CF Dress Instructions shall be interpreted as follows: if an item is not included in these instructions, it is not authorized.
4. Changes in dress policy, dress instructions or uniforms, or in the designs of uniforms, uniform accessories, accoutrements or insignia, shall only be made with the approval of the CDS or, on his behalf, by the Chief Military Personnel, National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ/CMP).
Old 25-02-15, 04:35 PM

That says what isn't allowed, but what is?