British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-15, 06:56 AM

Very nice. I suppose they are wearing white metal as the LHR has worn white metal/chrome badges since the 1970s. What do the Other Ranks wear now? I presume the "Old SA" flag is no longer considered PC?
Interetsing also, that the flash is now square, no longer a cloth "balkie" as the ILH wore in WW2 under Reeves-Moore.

I can think of a few tradional regiments where the Officer Commanding wears a different or older style badge eg. Natal Mounted Rifles' OC used to wear the 'Just and Frank' version of the prancing horse (Owens 465) in the early to mid 2000s and the OC Umvoti Mounted Rifles wore a much bigger badge on his beret than anyone else (possibly an old helmet plate, maybe chromed version of Owens 449). The OC what is now Buffalo Volunteer Rifles (I think I've got the new name correct) used to wear a King's Royal Rifle Corps bugle on red cherry boss etc.
Old 03-02-15, 07:15 AM

Just on the last line there, the badge isn't my avatar by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
Very nice. I suppose they are wearing white metal as the LHR has worn white metal/chrome badges since the 1970s. What do the Other Ranks wear now? I presume the "Old SA" flag is no longer considered PC?
Interetsing also, that the flash is now square, no longer a cloth "balkie" as the ILH wore in WW2 under Reeves-Moore.

I can think of a few tradional regiments where the Officer Commanding wears a different or older style badge eg. Natal Mounted Rifles' OC used to wear the 'Just and Frank' version of the prancing horse (Owens 465) in the early to mid 2000s and the OC Umvoti Mounted Rifles wore a much bigger badge on his beret than anyone else (possibly an old helmet plate, maybe chromed version of Owens 449). The OC what is now Buffalo Volunteer Rifles (I think I've got the new name correct) used to wear a King's Royal Rifle Corps bugle on red cherry boss etc.
Old 03-02-15, 09:11 AM

Hello Iain,
It is indeed odd how things go round in a circle, perhaps, the regiment may even change it's name, as well as it's badges one day.
Well, it sounds like you had a superb day, was this the first visit, or have you been there before?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Frank,

It was an organised visit with (Col.) Will Endley and we had a few beers in the mess which is part of the museum, but no, he didn't offer and I didn't ask for souvenirs.... but he was a great guy, I liked him.

There was a Piper's feather bonnet with an ILH badge similar in size and design to a Black Watch badge which foolishly I didn't photograph it.
I have seen Plaid brooches before but not a bonnet badge.
Owen's has what he refers to as a Glengarry badge O634.

A painting of Elandslaagte

Attachment 121094

regards, Iain
Old 03-02-15, 01:26 PM

Hi Frank,

it was my first visit and it was enjoyable.

There is talk that the old names will fall away and units will be numbered....

The OR's do still wear the old Republican flag; the govt say there is no money for any changes?????

regards, Iain
Old 03-02-15, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Just on the last line there, the badge isn't my avatar by any chance?
Hi Iain
No, your avatar badge is the 6th (rifle batt) of the King's Liverpool Reg.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-02-15, 03:39 PM

Hi Alex,
yes I do know that, just the description sounded similar

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Iain
No, your avatar badge is the 6th (rifle batt) of the King's Liverpool Reg.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 04-02-15, 06:00 AM

Ok sorry
Old 04-02-15, 09:57 AM

Not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Ok sorry
Old 04-02-15, 10:00 AM

Morning Iain,
Nothing surprises me there I'm afraid, things will never go full circle without a change of government, I suspect both you and the regiment have had their concord moment!
Really glad you had such a good day!
Regards again Frank

Quote:
Hi Frank,

it was my first visit and it was enjoyable.

There is talk that the old names will fall away and units will be numbered....

The OR's do still wear the old Republican flag; the govt say there is no money for any changes?????

regards, Iain
Old 04-02-15, 07:41 PM

Iain

His badge definately looks like this one.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=41179

Brian
Old 05-02-15, 03:58 AM

Hi Brian,

To use Andrew's description, your's is golden, whereas the OC's badge is silver; the smaller RSM badge is golden or brass.

I will have to find out more detail about the badge, ie when made, where made, AA or WM.

I suspect they are more recent than 1970. I need to find out when the regs were changed.

regards, Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 05-02-15 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 07:52 AM

Hello Iain,
Did you actually meet the current RSM, does he still wear the badge above his rank on the sleeve like some of his predecessors did?
Regards Frank
Old 06-02-15, 02:56 AM

Hi Frank,

no I didn't meet the RSM.

I'll try to find that out for you.

regards, Iain
Old 07-02-15, 04:55 PM

Hi all,

this is an email reply from Col Janzen re the above badges; (there are a couple of corrections to what is previously posted.)

"These were the last badges made for the LHR and were made in the UK in white metal in Staybright finish, probably in the seventies.
To confirm, by the dress regulations officers and the RSM wear ILH headdress badges, cap and beret plus ILH buttons on the tunic of no 1 dress.
The RSM badge is identical to mine. Currently only the RSM and myself wear the large, staybright ILH badge.
Officers and RSM also wear ILH buttons on Undress Blues, except for the left chest pocket which has a Kimberley Regt button, denoting our WWII association with them as ILH/KimR.
Our formal association with the Queens Royal Irish Hussars goes back to 1923 and in recognition we wear their green/gold/blue/green stable belt to this day despite their amalgamation into QRH in 1996.
This we wear with dress no 1 to 4 and you might have noticed me wearing it during your visit.
Serving under the crossed flags of country and regiment meant that we had to change badges again after 1994 as we had to after 1961. The designs were submitted and approved, but to date have not been changed. Thus other ranks serve under the old Republic flag.
The New badge as I explained to you follows the design of the original ILH design with double scroll as on the first Colour. That might be another while in the making, defence budgets being what they are.
I will show you the designs on your next visit. "

Interesting point there on the KR button!

Andrew, so it is the same as the Badge in your book and the one in your post Brian.

regards, Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 07-02-15 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 05:53 PM

Hello Iain,
That does rather make one want to ask more questions does it not?
How many badges were made and by who?
Officers and the RSM wear ILH badges? which ones exactly?
Only the RSM and myself wear the large staybright ILH badge? they must have ordered more than two, surely, they cannot be so hard up?
I'd be very interested to know what their dress regs say about ILH badges and buttons and in particular what their officers actually do wear these days and where those badges and buttons come/came from.
All very interesting though Iain, thank you for the update,
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Hi all,

this is an email reply from Col Janzen re the above badges; (there are a couple of corrections to what is previously posted.)

"These were the last badges made for the LHR and were made in the UK in white metal in Staybright finish, probably in the seventies.
To confirm, by the dress regulations officers and the RSM wear ILH headdress badges, cap and beret plus ILH buttons on the tunic of no 1 dress.
The RSM badge is identical to mine. Currently only the RSM and myself wear the large, staybright ILH badge.
Officers and RSM also wear ILH buttons on Undress Blues, except for the left chest pocket which has a Kimberley Regt button, denoting our WWII association with them as ILH/KimR.
Our formal association with the Queens Royal Irish Hussars goes back to 1923 and in recognition we wear their green/gold/blue/green stable belt to this day despite their amalgamation into QRH in 1996.
This we wear with dress no 1 to 4 and you might have noticed me wearing it during your visit.
Serving under the crossed flags of country and regiment meant that we had to change badges again after 1994 as we had to after 1961. The designs were submitted and approved, but to date have not been changed. Thus other ranks serve under the old Republic flag.
The New badge as I explained to you follows the design of the original ILH design with double scroll as on the first Colour. That might be another while in the making, defence budgets being what they are.
I will show you the designs on your next visit. "

Interesting point there on the KR button!

Andrew, so it is the same as the Badge in your book and the one in your post Brian.

regards, Iain