British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-10, 05:30 PM

Default The Scottish Horse

Hi Guy's,

What are the correct sizes of an original Scottish Horse Yeomanry cap badge?

Thanks,
Jan
Old 25-10-10, 05:41 PM

Nobody??

Jan
Old 26-10-10, 03:14 PM

I think that you'll find that they wore badges of many different sizes.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 26-10-10, 05:50 PM

Really? Well, them I'm sorry for asking it. I definitely need that book of R. Cox.

Thanks

Jan
Old 26-10-10, 06:28 PM

Default The Scottish Horse

Here are a few of mine, different crowns and piercings. Badge A height 44.5 width 31.5, badge B h 48.5 w 32.5, badge C h 44.5 w 31.5, badge D h 38 w 25.5, all measured in mm. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottish horse.jpg (22.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 26-10-10, 06:43 PM

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Glasgow "working girls".

Phil
Old 28-10-10, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
Here are a few of mine, different crowns and piercings. Badge A height 44.5 width 31.5, badge B h 48.5 w 32.5, badge C h 44.5 w 31.5, badge D h 38 w 25.5, all measured in mm. Cheers Sean.

Thanks Sean. Those are great badges you have there.

Jan
Old 28-10-10, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Sorry, I thought we were talking about Glasgow "working girls".

Phil

Nice Phil

Jan
Old 24-10-15, 06:27 AM

There were three different Scottish Horse, the original was an SAMIF regiment raised for the Anglo Boer War, although, some of it's volunteers who actually came from Scotland and had joined there, did, in effect, attest for service in the Imperial Yeomanry, but, once on the Veldt, they found themselves in the SAMIF.
Then there was the post war, Transvaal Volunteer regiment of the same name, as well as the British Armies regiment of the Imperial Yeomanry raised at the same time as the Transvaal Volunteer regiment, i.e. after the original SAMIF regiment had been disbanded, this subsequently became part of the Territorial Force and the TA.
All worn differing badges, some of which are very rare indeed, moreover, you also have all the wretched copies that have been around for decades too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafyani View Post
Hi Guy's,

What are the correct sizes of an original Scottish Horse Yeomanry cap badge?

Thanks,
Jan
Old 24-10-15, 12:26 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

The Second Scotish Horse was partially recruited in Melbourne Australia, my cousins grand father served with this Regiment. The origonal badges were cut brass, one of the dealers has one listed but I now cant remember who. The Shoulder Titles were hand cut ScH on a bar, I have one and there is also one for sale at about GBP 115 (I think). I will find my shoulder title and measure it in a day or so and post the size.

Regards

Phil.
Old 24-10-15, 02:34 PM

Clearly that would be the original regiment, but, the SAMIF was very much a multi national force from across the whole empire and beyond.
Some members from Australia actually wore a very distinctive, rather crude copper badge struck from a die.
Old 24-10-15, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Clearly that would be the original regiment, but, the SAMIF was very much a multi national force from across the whole empire and beyond.
Some members from Australia actually wore a very distinctive, rather crude copper badge struck from a die.
Hi Frank, thank you for the info. Do you maybe have a picture of this badge. I collect the original Scottish Horse as part of my South African collection, as they were designated SA. I only have 1 die struck badge in that lot(most are sheet brass) and understood that it arrived with the first group that came from Scotland , having been made there. Have a grand evening. Andrew
Old 24-10-15, 03:03 PM

Yes, I certainly have at least two examples of that badge, though, certainly from memory, it is in Owen, it was never worn by the British Army, the original regiment was raised as a Class C SAMIF regiment.

From memory, in Cape Town on the 18th of October 1901, by Army Order Number 2 of the same day, it had a very substantial Australian contingent.

Their famous commanding officer often boarded ships in Table Bay before they docked, with the intention of choosing the "pick" of the best potential troopers for himself, but, quite frankly, none of this is relevant to this thread, in this particular section, nothing to do with the British Army whatsoever hence my original post in this thread, because I felt it needed clarification.
Old 24-10-15, 03:06 PM

ScH was made in various sizes, they were normally worn on the hat, really very few members of the SAMIF wore shoulder titles, people just tend to assume they are titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
The Second Scotish Horse was partially recruited in Melbourne Australia, my cousins grand father served with this Regiment. The origonal badges were cut brass, one of the dealers has one listed but I now cant remember who. The Shoulder Titles were hand cut ScH on a bar, I have one and there is also one for sale at about GBP 115 (I think). I will find my shoulder title and measure it in a day or so and post the size.

Regards

Phil.
Old 24-10-15, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Yes, I certainly have at least two examples of that badge, though, certainly from memory, it is in Owen, it was never worn by the British Army, the original regiment was raised as a Class C SAMIF regiment.

From memory, in Cape Town on the 18th of October 1901, by Army Order Number 2 of the same day, it had a very substantial Australian contingent.

Their famous commanding officer often boarded ships in Table Bay before they docked, with the intention of choosing the "pick" of the best potential troopers for himself, but, quite frankly, none of this is relevant to this thread, in this particular section, nothing to do with the British Army whatsoever hence my original post in this thread, because I felt it needed clarification.
Hi Frank, is it 593 in Owen? Regards Andrew