British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-08, 10:37 AM

Default Kings Regt Northern Ireland black badge

This badge is mentioned in " Badge Backings and Special Embellishments " page 90.

My example came from Graham Coxon who had been Brigade Major of 8 Infantry Brigade, I still have the letter he sent me with the badge ( unfortunatly not dated but from memory about 35 years ago). He gives the information on the badge pretty well as it is in "Badge Backing "-in his words

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

" As you know 1 Kings were in Hong Kong a couple of years prior to a move to Londonderry Northern Ireland on an 18 months tour.
Most units in Northern Ireland blackened their A/Aluninium cap badges- this prevents the gunmen from being able to sight onto a soldiers head. 1 Kings had the badges struck in Hong Kong prior to the tour. I knew the battalion very well since I was Brigade Major of 8 Infantry Brigade, 1 Kings were part of 8 Infantry Brigade.

The badges were not popular.They broke too easily. You may know that the first battalion wears a distinctive red patch behind the badge.The only way to protect the soldier fully wouild have meant the removal of the red patch too.This the battalion were not prepared to do.
After a very short time the battalion reverted to a straight forward anodised badge ( unpainted )
I wa told that the plastic badges were to be destroyed. Fortunatly I knew the QM very well and he kindly allowed me 12 badges............."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As you will see the black on the front of my badge has faded to golden colour over the years even though it has always been in a glazed frame. The colour on the front was the same as on the back when I first acquired the badge ( made in Hong Kong ???)
The single lug on the rear of the badge is horizontal.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7972.jpg (42.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7985.jpg (36.7 KB, 147 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-08-08, 10:43 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
This badge is mentioned in " Badge Backings and Special Embellishments " page 90.

My example came from Graham Coxon who had been Brigade Major of 8 Infantry Brigade, I still have the letter he sent me with the badge ( unfortunatly not dated but from memory about 35 years ago). He gives the information on the badge pretty well as it is in "Badge Backing "-in his words

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

" As you know 1 Kings were in Hong Kong a couple of years prior to a move to Londonderry Northern Ireland on an 18 months tour.
Most units in Northern Ireland blackened their A/Aluninium cap badges- this prevents the gunmen from being able to sight onto a soldiers head. 1 Kings had the badges struck in Hong Kong prior to the tour. I knew the battalion very well since I was Brigade Major of 8 Infantry Brigade, 1 Kings were part of 8 Infantry Brigade.

The badges were not popular.They broke too easily. You may know that the first battalion wears a distinctive red patch behind the badge.The only way to protect the soldier fully wouild have meant the removal of the red patch too.This the battalion were not prepared to do.
After a very short time the battalion reverted to a straight forward anodised badge ( unpainted )
I wa told that the plastic badges were to be destroyed. Fortunatly I knew the QM very well and he kindly allowed me 12 badges............."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As you will see the black on the front of my badge has faded to golden colour over the years even though it has always been in a glazed frame. The colour on the front was the same as on the back when I first acquired the badge ( made in Hong Kong ???)
The single lug on the rear of the badge is horizontal.

P.B.
I don't suppose you have any "spares" of the "acquired" 12 do you?
david
Old 03-08-08, 11:47 AM

David,

Sorry the 12 badges referred to was part of the quotation from the letter send by the person who I got my badge from, I only had the I badge from him.

I have lost touch with Graham since getting the badge from him but I doubt if he would have any left from the original 12 all these years later

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-08-08, 12:13 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
David,

Sorry the 12 badges referred to was part of the quotation from the letter send by the person who I got my badge from, I only had the I badge from him.

I have lost touch with Graham since getting the badge from him but I doubt if he would have any left from the original 12 all these years later

Peter
Peter,
OK and thanks.
david
Old 03-08-08, 04:05 PM

Hi Peter,
We have discussed this badge at length via PM's. Now I have seen the back of your badge, it is exactly the same as the one I have recently acquired. However I have scrutinised my badge well and it does appear to be alluminium with a blackened finish. I know the badge to which you refer and is without doubt that mentioned in 'backings & embellishments', but is your badge definately plastic?

Thanks

Bess
Old 03-08-08, 04:53 PM

Bess,
I think I sent you a copy of Graham Coxons letter to me,in that he refers to the badges as " plastic" and I have just re-read " Badge Backings" and that talks about "plastic badges "
I have to confess I dont know if they are in fact plastic, next time I have the frame open I will try a very small scratch on the rear of my badge and see if it shows bright aluminium. (unless you want to try yours first !!!!!!!)

Regards

Peter

Old 03-08-08, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Bess,
I think I sent you a copy of Graham Coxons letter to me,in that he refers to the badges as " plastic" and I have just re-read " Badge Backings" and that talks about "plastic badges "
I have to confess I dont know if they are in fact plastic, next time I have the frame open I will try a very small scratch on the rear of my badge and see if it shows bright aluminium. (unless you want to try yours first !!!!!!!)

Regards

Peter
Ha ha, well the back of mine is slightly worn and it certainly appears to be alloy. I have half convinced myself that the badge I have is one refered to in the letter you kindly sent me a copy of. I cannot find referance to a black anodised Kings Regt collar badge anywhere else. If the badges manufactured locally in Hong Kong had a usual collar given as an example of what to copy, it would explain why the single post collar badge type backing has been used as the means of securing the badge and not something more bespoke or unusual (i.e like the Royal Regt Fusiliers and the LI plastic badges made for NI which have the lengths of alluminium strip as a fixing on the back). The badge I have is cast as opposed to being stamped too. Thanks again Peter.

I'll probably never know for sure unless anyone else out there has any knowledge that can assist me.

Regards to all

Bess
Old 07-01-19, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Having read this thread a decade ago, I recently bought this black plastic Kings badge with the same single lug fitting. I expect I might have to wait another 10 years to see another!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010007.jpg (41.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-01-19, 01:13 PM

Is it plastic "proper" or a darkened aluminium? (I have one which I bought on forum but it appears to be aluminium (?) with a black finish which has faded on the front).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1561~2.jpg (37.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1562~2.jpg (27.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-01-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

It's defiantly a plastic finish. I would describe it as a plastic coated aluminium rather than a painted one.
Old 07-01-19, 01:25 PM

I recently uploaded mine to my Infantry album. It has faded on the front, revealing a brass like colour. It is definitely plastic and a factory applied finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_124507.jpg (52.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Parabellum; 07-01-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 01:31 PM

Rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190107_132813.jpg (70.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-01-19, 01:33 PM

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at my badge. It's much the same as the one Peter shows in Post no. 1 as accompanied by a letter of verification.

I can't remember seeing 1 King's wearing blackened badges when they took over from the bn I was in at the start of their 18 month tour mentioned in post no. 1 but then I think I saw their personnel only in Ebrington Barracks, when they may have kept A/A gold & silver in use prior to getting out and about on semi-active service.
I wish I'd paid more attention.
Old 07-01-19, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It's defiantly a plastic finish. I would describe it as a plastic coated aluminium rather than a painted one.
I don't really know how to word this - like a "chrome" crust finish found on some plastic toys etc, but in black rather than silver or gold colour?
Old 07-01-19, 06:33 PM

Gents, I think the best description of the actual material is that described by Alan above. They are most definitely aluminium and not plastic. The coating is probably a film plastic of some type, which does appear to have faded to a gold/bronze colour over time. Mine has too. Remember they were made by a company in Hong Kong - according to the letter Peter sent me a copy of a few years ago & and as described in 'Badge Backings . . ') so not the usual factory black anodised aluminium badge we are used to.

They were apparently only worn for a few weeks by the advanced party on the Op Banner tour, again according to Badge Backings, after which they were withdrawn on the direction of the RSM.

Regards all

Bess