British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-08, 07:31 AM

Default 30 Advanced Unit RN

Hi, with all the interest in Ian Fleming at the moment, I was reading the history of "T" Force, and the author mentions they had a detachment of 30 Advanced Unit RN , which included Ian Fleming.He states "their predilection for small armoured sorties in front of the main advance showed admirable daring but was sometimes a little difficult to fit into the general plan of "T" Force activities" What insignia did either unit wear, if any? And as a bonus, what was the armour mentioned?
Old 16-04-08, 10:31 AM
Badge Guru

Royal Navy uniform, RN Commando Shoulder titles, possibly with para wing, in some in cases a custom unit patch in gold bullion wire with 30 incorporated in it.

I see that there have been some documents recently released on T-Force at TNA but your going to struggle to find photos or anymore writings other than Fleming's on the subject, even today some RN Commando units from WW2 are still Top Secret and even the Gallantry medals which they won are not achnowledged by the British or United States Government.
Old 16-04-08, 11:33 AM

30 Assault Unit (30 AU) shoulder flash figures 30 in light blue on a dark blue background.
The armour was american Staghound and British Ferret, according to A. Cecil Hampshire in his book "The Secret Navies".
Ferrets are post-war.
Photographs show Morris armoured cars and SAS-style Jeeps.

regards,
fougasse1940.
Old 16-04-08, 01:26 PM

Hi, cheers for the information. Another patch to look out for. Are you sure of the unit designation? The "T" Force history definately calls it 30 Advanced Unit RN.
Old 17-04-08, 02:37 PM

They went through a few name changes. Intelligence Assault Unit, No 30 Commando for operational purposes, 30 Assault Unit (30 AU).
Sorry, can't find any Advanced Unit. Whats the title & author of your book?
regards,
fougasse1940.
Old 18-04-08, 08:37 AM
Badge Guru

There is no such thing. Ian Flemming was with 30 Commando Engineers, a Navy Commando unit.

When the unit was redesignated 30 Assault Unit they were equiped with Staghorn, Morris scout cars and jeeps. The shoulder title was the number 30 in pale blue on a dark blue square.

There is a rare photo of Lt-Cdr Patrick Dalzel-job RNVR in BD on page 61 of Commando 'Churchill's Hand of Steel'.

My original description refers to naval dress uniform.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 18-04-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 18-04-08, 05:08 PM

Is this anything to do with the "T Force " mentioned in this thread ?

5 KINGS/No 2 T Force

On 6th June 1944, 5 KINGS landed as a Beach Group Battalion in Normandy. The Battalion completed its duties and was eventually to have been dispersed as reinforcements for other units, the same fate as her sister battalion, 8 KINGS, the Liverpool Irish. However the CO, Lieutenant Colonel G D Wreford-Browne, made strenuous representations that 5 KINGS was almost the most senior TA battalion in the Army and deserved a better fate. Accordingly the battalion was made up to strength and took part in the operation to contain the German forces in Dunkirk as part of the Czech 29th Armoured Brigade.

In February 1945, the Battalion was selected to take on the role of a T Force unit, whose tasks had been identified by Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force. Experience in other theatres had shown that important intelligence, equipment, personnel and installations were being overlooked for lack of a dedicated force to seize them. A 'Target' or T Force was required. After moving into Belgium, 5 KINGS received an influx of category A1 personnel and became the lead unit of T Force. In 1946, No 2 T Force was formed and 5 KINGS left to be reformed under Lieutenant Colonel F Denton, returning to the UK via Iserlohn.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-04-08, 05:39 PM

Hi, the history is called"History of "T" Force activities in 21 Army Group" printed by British Army of the Rhine. There is an appendix on the activities of 5 Kings Reconnaissance. The section on 30 advanced unit RN is annotated with Ian Flemings name. The only person mentioned in the text is Charles Cunningham, who was the liaison officer from that unit.
Old 26-08-08, 01:45 PM

Ref. Your interest in 'T' Force. I was a member of 5 Kings / 'T' Force, later No. 2 'T' Force, myself.
Maybe? I can be of assistance with any further information. We have a DVD about our activities in North/West Europe available. Also have contact to former member of 30th Assault Unit.
Old 26-08-08, 03:04 PM

T Force,
Welcome to the Forum, as well as the DVD hasnt a member of 5 Kings/No2 T Force OCA also written a book "The T Force Story " it is mentioned in the last (2006-2006 ) issue of the "The Kingsman" magazine.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-04-14, 04:10 PM

Hi, just found two more books on this force, T Force the race for nazi war secrets1945 by Sean Longden and Attain By Surprise, the story of 30 Assault Unit, edited by David Nutting. This has a couple of photo's of the 30 being worn. Also in the Bibliography of T Force it mentions a book by the Old Comrades Association, The T-Force Story, 5th King's/ No2 T-Force, is this still available? Thanks in advance, Mike
Old 14-05-14, 05:27 PM

I found this site about 30AU some time ago. Lots of good pics in the photo section and planty of good info: http://30au.co.uk/Photos.html

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 14-05-14, 06:22 PM

Special Engineering Unit / 30 Commando / 30 Assault Unit - (the unit changed its name several times) - was originally formed to seize enemy intelligence in advance of main front-line troops. It is said that success of German Abwehrkommando in Yugoslavia and Greece inspired Ian Fleming in developing the unit (see The Commandos 1940-1946 by Charles Messenger pages 168-173). It was formed into a number of Sections/Troops - No33 Royal Marines, No34 Army and No36 RN or Technical. On 30 September 1942 the unit (initially commanded by 'Red' Ryder VC RN of St Nazaire fame) was placed under command of Chief of Combined Operations. Capt HO Huntingdon-Whitley (RM) was selected to command No33 Troop, with volunteers being selected from men who had been in his platoon at Dieppe (Original RM Commandos belatedly formed in mid February 1942, after Army Commandos had been raised in June 1940). One survivor of that original Royal Marine Commando told me their task did include intelligence gathering, but his force did not land at Dieppe, due to the carnage on the main beach.

The unit operated in several small groups and documents at the Public Record Office, Kew, suggest co-ordination across units etc was not without its problems.

T Force (including elements of 30 Assault Unit) - itself appears to have interests in German V Weapon technology, among other things.

Other books include:

The History of 30 Assault Unit - Craig Cabell - has some reference to V Weapons

Ian Fleming's Commandos - The Story of 30 Assault Unit in WWII

I have edited this entry to include another book I do not think is mentioned in the thread:

From the Arctic Snow to the Dust of Normandy by Patrick Dalzel-Job - a Biographical record

Attached is an image of insignia worn within the unit - variants exist but this is the general (but difficult to find) pattern. Caution as it is reproduced.

I hope this is of some interest

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJB - Inventory AM - 30 AU and 30 Cdo - DSC02024.jpg (59.6 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Mike B; 15-05-14 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Further information
Old 07-07-19, 07:01 AM

Default Just wondering

[ATTACH]30a.jpg[/]Mike
Appreciate pictures are not clearest but was wondering if, from what you can see, is this one likely to be a fake?
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30b.jpg (19.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 30c.jpg (86.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-07-19, 07:10 AM

Hi Ray
There are variants of this badge - I have seen, the standard pattern, a loosely chain stitched pattern and one in white rather than the light blue colour. I am sorry to say that the one you illustrate looks a bad one. The back looks a bit suspect as well as the front. They are out there though, and hoping you find one.
Mike