British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-19, 06:05 PM

Default Arm badges

Hi can I ask for confirmation on who wore these please as there are a few choices and willing to bet I'd put onto wrong one!

Large Arm badge to left is heavy and possibly Silver fitting seems unusual to right lugged w/m, next two smaller again to left Silver and to right screw posts? Pouch?

Lastly found this today hoping Griff can verify it, looks to be Silver or Silver plated? Can be returned!

Many thanks Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190626_182724-1.jpg (84.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20190626_182736-1.jpg (75.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20190626_182755-1.jpg (70.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190626_182810-1.jpg (69.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20190626_182822-1.jpg (109.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20190626_182833-1.jpg (106.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 26-06-19, 07:27 PM

The badge with the pin brooch looks possibly cast, Indian with maybe a content of silver, the positing of the pin is unusual but may have worked on a pagri.
Similar badges this size where worn by the South Lancs on FSH’s.
Paul
Old 26-06-19, 08:33 PM

Hi Paul thats a twist! But fixings seem to be only that shown, and no other witness marks for anything else! Thanks for the imput , billy
Old 27-06-19, 06:15 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs down

Hi Billy

Sorry mate, bad news, the would be 17th, 17th/21st Lancers arm Motto (Chadd) is the so called "Long Bone" arm Motto, but its a complete FAKE.

The Arm Motto is taller than it is wide where as the cap Motto is wider than it is tall. The fakes are about 47mm wide across the bones and 50mm high and it comes in white metal, brass, silver plated with a back plate with a hole in it and in double hallmarked (maybe) silver that I know of.

The proper Arm Mottoes have shorter bones and quite large Motto scroll, they are about 41mm across the bones and 48mm tall and are heavily die struck. There is also a die cast issue but Im not sure about this one, but I think that it is suss.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 27-06-19, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Hi can I ask for confirmation on who wore these please as there are a few choices and willing to bet I'd put onto wrong one!

Large Arm badge to left is heavy and possibly Silver fitting seems unusual to right lugged w/m, next two smaller again to left Silver and to right screw posts? Pouch?

Lastly found this today hoping Griff can verify it, looks to be Silver or Silver plated? Can be returned!

Many thanks Billy
Hello Billy

In my humble opinion I'd suggest your badges are as follows:

1) Large POW's Plumes Arm Badge. cast with north/south loops removed, remains of silver solder can just be seen behind top plume and coronet. converted to pin brooch 'Sweetheart'. 'Theatre made' India? May be Silver as has turned black, suggest you have it tested. This patt. worn by 3DG,10H & 12L.Nice piece.

2) As above, but die struck wm. three loops and worn again by the same regiments.

3) Small POW's Plumes Arm Badge. cast? wm. worn by Cpls 3DG & 10H.

4) Small POW's plumes wm. with threaded fixings, unlikely to be an Arm Badge. Fixings would indicate a pouch device but could be Infantry or Cavalry.

5) Arm 'Motto' wm. spurious fake as Phil has stated.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards
Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !

Last edited by Robthereiver; 27-06-19 at 05:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 27-06-19, 08:31 AM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Billy

Phil & Rob have covered the fake ...

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 27-06-19, 04:48 PM

They are spot on regards sizes! Heavy, thinking Silver, not that it matters will take back on Saturday well chuffed with the Silver Prince of Wales, found same place, couldn't spot fixings will take another look now! The small cast badge is Silver, the pouch badge in Chrome I was putting down as Police?

Thanks for all the help, pictures in the K & K and Gaylors arent much good so appreciate all the help given best reqards billy