British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-22, 04:18 PM

Default Two Gaels

I have this pair of badges from the exact same die, voided and unvoided. The lugs are the same gauge thinner wire with rectangular feet seen on many earlier badges, which I think may be unique to a particular maker?
I don't know how voiding was achieved if made from the same die as the other, unless they were able to make two identical dies, one voided and one not?
Again, I am of the belief that unvoided Gaels badges were in currency well beyond their supposed obsolescence. I believe this also likely applied to tail up or down as well.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (47.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.JPG (113.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 13-01-22, 04:41 PM

The badge would be the same if from the same die set, just not having the voiding/piercing operations done on one.
Old 13-01-22, 10:38 PM

I don't believe they are from the same die.

Two very obvious and noticeable differences:

The Boars heads are very much different from each other.

The cat on the right hand badge is a lot thinner than that on the left hand badge.

Regards.

Brian
Old 13-01-22, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
I don't believe they are from the same die.

Two very obvious and noticeable differences:

The Boars heads are very much different from each other.

The cat on the right hand badge is a lot thinner than that on the left hand badge.

Regards.

Brian
I agree, for me the first thing I noticed was the serif on the letter "L" is more pronounced on the voided badge.

Regards, David
Old 13-01-22, 11:40 PM

It would be nice if you could state the regiment's name in your subject and first post to facilitate searches.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 13-01-22, 11:52 PM

Well, ba gum, the closer I look on these enlarged photos with my old eyes, I must agree that they are actually not from the same die! Good eyes gents.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 14-01-22 at 12:48 AM.
Old 14-01-22, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
It would be nice if you could state the regiment's name in your subject and first post to facilitate searches.
I tend to agree.

If you searched Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (until I wrote it here) this thread would not be amongst the results.

However I also appreciate the need for a catchy title and/or humour on occasion to generate interest.

Ultimately so long as the name of the regiment or purpose is included in at least one post within the thread it will register in searches even if it may not be abundantly clear from the title what it contains… but (for me) that’s part of the fun exploring threads.

Re the badges, as stated very similar but not same die.
Old 15-01-22, 12:57 AM

Message received; I shall endeavor to post using the proper titles henceforth. To further this, I spent some time closely examining both badges and have determined that the wreath portion is indeed identical to both, only the center, including title and devices, differs.
That, and the placement of the lugs with the same "feet" and exactly the same concavity would indicate that they are from one maker.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 15-01-22 at 01:05 AM.
Old 15-01-22, 01:19 AM

Actually, to achieve a Domed shape Soldiers used brush handles, these had a rounded end, badge placed above - gently tapped with wooden (Let's call it a stave?) This stretched the metal to give a domed appearance, why no damage to badge? could be a thin piece of material used to prevent such, no different to what is still done today.
Old 15-01-22, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Message received; I shall endeavor to post using the proper titles henceforth.
Sorry I didn’t mean to suggest that I think you should use ‘proper titles’, I’m all for some individuality. Found the title of this one intriguing as I’d never heard the A&SH referred to by that name.

But I do think in the text it is worth putting the name of the regiment in a format which can be searched. However, totally up to the poster - it’s their thread after all!

Pleasantly this is a very tolerant forum, I viewed the GWF yesterday and see one of their mods locks threads the minute unidentified photos are deemed not WW1. Dreadful. Thankfully ours are much more convivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
To further this, I spent some time closely examining both badges and have determined that the wreath portion is indeed identical to both, only the center, including title and devices, differs.
That, and the placement of the lugs with the same "feet" and exactly the same concavity would indicate that they are from one maker.

CB
Very possible.
Old 15-01-22, 08:44 PM

Gaels ?
Andy
Old 15-01-22, 09:16 PM

A & SH - their badges known as "Mess Tins" back in my day.
Old 15-01-22, 10:11 PM

Thanks Leigh.
Andy
Old 16-01-22, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Gaels ?
Andy
Yes, Gaels. Way back in the '70s I used to be in a Pipe Band based in Buffalo, NY and Fort Erie Canada. There were no less than four members who had served in the British Black Watch and several others who had served in other Scottish regiments which I now no longer recall. They all referred to the Argylls as the Gaels. Perhaps a nickname now lost in time.

CB
Old 16-01-22, 09:03 AM

Presumably "Argylls" spoken with a Scottish accent?