British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-20, 09:38 AM

Default LFB, AFS & NFS UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA

Hello, I have recently taken an interest in the uniforms, badges and insignia of the various Home Front organisations. Unfortunately, being a complete (but enthusiastic) novice I am finding the pickings very thin. I am beginning my search for information by choosing the ww2 Fire Services. Any help would be most gratefully received.
Best wishes
John
Old 27-08-20, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Hi johnmarksdad, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Several members are knowledgeable about home front organizations, and should be able to offer some assistance.
Old 27-08-20, 01:15 PM

I would suggest looking here for info. on AFS and many of the WW2 Civil Def associated sections - and some excellent notes on fake badges and insignia in that field which is currently doing the rounds!

Depending on what you are looking for, this is also a "must have" reference book by Jon Mills (who is an active member of the forum).

Also there is a "home front" section in the forum which would be useful for you to browse - and also have a look in the members Albums, which can be accessed by clicking on the "All Albums" list in the forum header.

Finally, I would suggest if you are looking for dealers to buy such things from, then this list is a great starting point. Although you will see that not all deal in this area.

If you have any doubts - I would encourage you to post an image and ask for opinions.

Oh - and welcome to the forum
Old 27-08-20, 02:27 PM

JohnMarksdad, A good dealer to work with is Home Front Collection. I have nothing but excellent experiences with him. He has a separate section of just the fire services.

https://www.homefrontcollection.com/archive.php

Good luck and have fun,

Terry
Old 06-09-20, 01:25 PM

The excellent WW2 Civil Defence website; www.ww2civildefence.co.uk has as the latest item on its blog coverage of a wartime magazine which has quite a lot of detail on the badges of the NFS.

Worth a look.

Jon