British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-20, 06:51 PM

Default Officers the Buffs

Hi thought to share this recent purchase, just picked up from the sorting office today and after a few clean ups! have found it to be a nicely used Officer's (which I assumed it to be before acquiring), - badge was well disguised! Tried to get a shot of badge before purchase on a screenshot but Tablet throws up "Insecure site?" when trying to get in? Very frustrating!

If anyone can do magic with listings on Ebay item was " The Buffs - East Kent Rgt " on Endici.

Rear shot can see a "P" as no Hallmarks, all the best Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201128_182454-1.jpg (103.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20201128_182443-1.jpg (88.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 28-11-20, 08:37 PM

Hey Billy
My first impression is it’s not silver. I know the P indicates it plated but it doesn’t look the colour I’d expect.
Also I’m curios as if it’s a silver plated badge wouldn’t the lugs be silver plated also?
Unlesss all the silver has been removed or washed of or never applied?
BC
Old 28-11-20, 09:12 PM

Default eBay item number:383811637891

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
If anyone can do magic with listings on Ebay item was " The Buffs - East Kent Rgt " on Endici.
s-l1600-front.jpgs-l1600-back.jpg

All the best,
Marinus
Old 28-11-20, 09:13 PM

Hi B.C. the lugs have remnants of Silver plating, the badge is heavy, and Solid, the lighting I took the photo's in wasn't the best, the badge itself is not doing wellnon the white paper test, but have just cleaned it? don't know if that would count though? There is discolouration to the badge that you see on Silver badges? accept your thoughts regards "P" plated, can "P" also be used on Solid Silver badges? Look forward to the Forum's viewpoint! Cheers Billy
Old 28-11-20, 09:26 PM

As BC says P indicates Silver Plated. A solid silver badge would be HM’ed or marked sterling etc. if marked. Also you would not get copper loops on a solid silver badge but they are found on plated badges.

Nice badge but it’s had a hard life by the looks. Scales are worn flat in several places which would I think be more than enough to remove the plate and some in those areas... I wonder if it’s been re-plated lately.

I’m sure a collector or officers or silver badges will be able to tell you for sure.
Old 28-11-20, 09:27 PM

What did you clean it with? I use Goddards silver dip and that takes every bit of tarnish off the sliver plate.
Old 28-11-20, 10:15 PM

Hi Luke I like it that its had a hard life, its been in the Field, and being used!

Cleaned it with soap and toothbrush, then went searching in the cuboard and found the Silverdip (Goddards) which I applied and left whilst watching the Rugby! Washed off with toothbrush and Hot water!

Marinus that is Magic what you have done! As can be seen badge was a mite grubby so you can see it has cleaned up well, wondering still what the badfe is made off? as you say "P" stands for plating, lugs show this perfectly! Many thanks Billy
Old 29-11-20, 07:30 AM

Hi All
Sorry to contradict but you can and do get copper lugs on solid silver badges, it is quite common depending on the maker. As the this badge, nothing wrong with it but the apparent wear might just be from a worn die? As mentioned, polishing to that extent should have taken away the plating.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-11-20, 01:42 PM

Default Buffs silver badge

I bought this badge thinking it was a very dirty lugged early example of a standard Buffs badge (It was Black) . When it it arrived I was suprised to find it was bigger 60mm across as opposed to 46mm.

I assume it is a helmet badge as it has copper lugs the quality is good and it might be silver or plated ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01584.jpg (38.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01583.jpg (40.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01582.jpg (39.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01580.jpg (38.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 29-11-20, 02:12 PM

Never seen that pattern before, beautiful.
Old 29-11-20, 02:52 PM

Not seen the like either. I have seen similar, just the dragon in WM looped N-S. It was described as a volunteers officer’s pouch or possibly puggaree badge.

I agree it’s a lovely piece.
Old 29-11-20, 11:32 PM

It never ceases to amaze me when previously unseen examples appear. That large Buffs collection in DNW threw up a couple which at the time I’d never seen before but have since picked up, now there’s this one.

Based on a similar Queen’s badge which was at the Chaldon Museum before it went up in flames I’d hedge my bets and say it’s an officers’ foreign service helmet badge.
Old 30-11-20, 12:12 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST AND THE INFOMATION PROVIDED, THE BADGE WILL REMAIN A MYSTERY ALTHOUGH I TEND TO AGREE IT IS PROBIBLY AN HELMET PLATE.