British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-16, 08:06 AM

Talking Brexit

Hi Chaps,

I wonder what a yes on Brexit will do to the British badge collectors. Some pitfalls may be import duties for sales to and from the EU, a sharp fall of the pound sterling is also predicted.

I heard the British army officials are also fearing their independence with an EU army. Will that also mean EU army badges instead of UK?

I guess the UK friends are all off to vote.

Cheers,
JB
Old 23-06-16, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
Hi Chaps,

I wonder what a yes on Brexit will do to the British badge collectors. Some pitfalls may be import duties for sales to and from the EU, a sharp fall of the pound sterling is also predicted.

I heard the British army officials are also fearing their independence with an EU army. Will that also mean EU army badges instead of UK?

I guess the UK friends are all off to vote.

Cheers,
JB
JB correct,

I have just voted to get out, I'm afraid import duties from the EU are the least of my concerns and as we already pay them for items from the rest of the World I can live with it

Personally I'm more interested with Nationhood and what the state of the UK will be like for my offspring in a few years time rather than a few quid more in my pocket now and as for a Euro Army pure nonsense, whilst NATO exists there is no need what so ever, and secondly you can not have a functioning Army when its political masters are all pulling in different directions and ordering its own sovereign troops to operate under different restrictions to its neighbours (Afghanistan springs to mind with our German friends as one example).

Cheers,

FMT600
Old 23-06-16, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
JB correct,

I have just voted to get out, I'm afraid import duties from the EU are the least of my concerns and as we already pay them for items from the rest of the World I can live with it

Personally I'm more interested with Nationhood and what the state of the UK will be like for my offspring in a few years time rather than a few quid more in my pocket now and as for a Euro Army pure nonsense, whilst NATO exists there is no need what so ever, and secondly you can not have a functioning Army when its political masters are all pulling in different directions and ordering its own sovereign troops to operate under different restrictions to its neighbours (Afghanistan springs to mind with our German friends as one example).

Cheers,

FMT600

Ditto.
Old 23-06-16, 09:21 AM

The EU has stated the ultimate aim is a Federal State, so l would assume there would be no national army's in time.
Old 23-06-16, 09:31 AM

Quote:
JB correct,

FMT600
But could you also live with it when the EU imposes tariffs on the goods we sell to them? We would be priced out of the market for anything other than speciality products.

Case in point, the oft cited Norway. Norway has to pay such a high tariff to export fish products to the EU that it would be uneconomic to do so.

So, Norway exports whole fish to Europe and that fish is turned in to ready meals, fish fingers etc. The processing jobs go not to Norwegians but to workers in places like Denmark, which is within the EU.
Old 23-06-16, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
Ditto.
ME too
Old 23-06-16, 10:23 AM

Default out

Lets see some of that money go back to the NHS and see our country rise again rather then be brought down to a lower level to help everyone else. Who may I add start off with the best intentions then over spend and we have to dig them out of a financial pit. Mean while the elderly who fort for our great nation don't get the medial help they need in latter life because were to busy looking after a bunch of free loaders who wont stay in mainland Europe as they have to pay for such medical aid. I also as an Englishman don't like being told what to do by a bunch of free loading meps I never voted for. Having spent 24 years defending freedom of speech there's my speech on the matter.............rant over.......................defiantly out!

Mac
Old 23-06-16, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
But could you also live with it when the EU imposes tariffs on the goods we sell to them? We would be priced out of the market for anything other than speciality products.

Case in point, the oft cited Norway. Norway has to pay such a high tariff to export fish products to the EU that it would be uneconomic to do so.

So, Norway exports whole fish to Europe and that fish is turned in to ready meals, fish fingers etc. The processing jobs go not to Norwegians but to workers in places like Denmark, which is within the EU.
The question was about a EU army not about fish. I live in North Shields where they used to land 12,000 box's of fish a day now it's down to 200 thanks to the EU. I don't think this Forum is the place for politics.
Old 23-06-16, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
The question was about a EU army not about fish. I live in North Shields where they used to land 12,000 box's of fish a day now it's down to 200 thanks to the EU. I don't think this Forum is the place for politics.
I live in East Yorkshire and have seen the Hull based fishing industry destroyed thanks to the EU, enough said as I do agree that really we should be sticking to talking about badges, however I did not start the thread.

Cheers,

FMT600

Last edited by FMT600; 23-06-16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 23-06-16, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hi BWEF,

To put it bluntly YES I would today, tomorrow and the next 10 years in order to be able to make the UK a suitable place for my children and their children to grow up and prosper in so please don't be so short sighted, the UK has always been a trading nation and whilst the EU may huff and puff and threaten and even in the short term try to punish the UK for leaving, they aint stupid so in due course mutually beneficial trade agreements will be reached with mainland European Nations and the UK, also please don't forget there is also the rest of the world to trade with if we have goods that they want.

Regards,

FMT600
Old 23-06-16, 11:10 AM

Smile

Well said
Old 23-06-16, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Hi BWEF,

To put it bluntly YES I would today, tomorrow and the next 10 years in order to be able to make the UK a suitable place for my children and their children to grow up and prosper in so please don't be so short sighted, the UK has always been a trading nation and whilst the EU may huff and puff and threaten and even in the short term try to punish the UK for leaving, they aint stupid so in due course mutually beneficial trade agreements will be reached with mainland European Nations and the UK, also please don't forget there is also the rest of the world to trade with if we have goods that they want.

Regards,

FMT600
Would a "suitable place for your children" include fighting major European wars? We have been at peace since 1945. Largely due to a united Europe.

My grandfathers generation, and my fathers generation wasted years of their lives, and many gave their lives, in war. My sons and my grandsons have not had to do so.

As for trading with the rest of the world. Good luck with undercutting China, India, Brazil et al.

Europe will be happy to sell us all the BMWs and champagne we can afford, but with much of our product we are being beaten on price by places like Poland, and that is even before the imposition of tariff barriers.

There is a reason that Clarks Shoes and Cadbury's moved to the EU. In the event of brexit they would be followed by the international firms from the far east etc who are only here because we are in the EU, and work cheap.
Old 23-06-16, 11:31 AM

Smile

NATO kept the peace not the EEC or the later EU.
Old 23-06-16, 11:51 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Would a "suitable place for your children" include fighting major European wars? We have been at peace since 1945. Largely due to a united Europe.

My grandfathers generation, and my fathers generation wasted years of their lives, and many gave their lives, in war. My sons and my grandsons have not had to do so.

As for trading with the rest of the world. Good luck with undercutting China, India, Brazil et al.

Europe will be happy to sell us all the BMWs and champagne we can afford, but with much of our product we are being beaten on price by places like Poland, and that is even before the imposition of tariff barriers.

There is a reason that Clarks Shoes and Cadbury's moved to the EU. In the event of brexit they would be followed by the international firms from the far east etc who are only here because we are in the EU, and work cheap.
One of our future members just blew a Russian jet out of the sky!

An existing member demands soldiers from this country be placed as guard on its borders with Russia.

The EU is not an organisation of peace, but rather an agitator to it.

Also high profile members are free of any questioning as to why they green lit wars in the Middle East.
Old 23-06-16, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
NATO kept the peace not the EEC or the later EU.
Leaving aside the fact fact the Nobel prize people would disagree with you:

http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-info...l/index_en.htm

That is not what I was saying.

I was saying that the EEC/EU kept the peace within Europe ie Germany and France were not fighting each other for a start - 1870, 1914, 1939 and?