British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-16, 01:33 PM

Need an ex Sea Cadet who bought a similar badge to original posted to fully confirm the Navy type. More recent dated badges conform to Army and Air Cadet type. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-0&sp=-1&sk= Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 01-02-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-02-16, 01:41 PM

How does this relate to the 'Bisley 100' Patch which is awarded to the top 100 shooters each year, and is approved for wear I believe in perpetuity in place of the marksman badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bisley100.JPG (26.1 KB, 9 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 01-02-16, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
The one bought in the ATC.
Evidently a tailormade item, unlike my naval badge which is a bona-fide rating's badge with a later addition. Having said that, one must point out that Army and RAF marksman badges have an outline only of backing cloth, with no possibility of adding anything on. On the other hand, naval badges (tombstone type) have sufficient space for this. Are there no Dress Regulations covering this matter? Or would such badge be non-RN but rather CCF(RN)?
Old 01-02-16, 04:22 PM

Hi Chaps

As far as I can ascertain, the only badge officially sanctioned to be worn on a regular army uniform is the "Bisley 100" badge which Mike has illustrated above. I understand there was also something similar for the Territorials, whether that is still worn now I don't know.

David
Old 01-02-16, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hi Chaps

As far as I can ascertain, the only badge officially sanctioned to be worn on a regular army uniform is the "Bisley 100" badge which Mike has illustrated above. I understand there was also something similar for the Territorials, whether that is still worn now I don't know.

David
It's actually referred to as the "Army 100" badge as it only relates to the top 100 Regular Army shots (so does not include RN, RM or RAF), uniquely for a "Skill at Arms" badge, officers are permitted to wear the badge whereas they are not normally permitted to wear Marksman or Skill at Arms Instructors insignia. In addition to the "Army 100" there is/was also the "TA 50" which took the TA emblem as it's central motif. Don't know whether this still exists or is now referred to as the "Army Reserve 50" ???
PL
Old 01-02-16, 10:48 PM

Default Greshams school c.c.f. bisley patch

I have this lovely shooting team patch on BD cloth, just need to find the year date cloth patches that are worn below it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.jpg (102.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 01-02-16 at 10:55 PM. Reason: wrong school name
Old 02-02-16, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
I have this lovely shooting team patch on BD cloth, just need to find the year date cloth patches that are worn below it.
I think this predates Battledress. I know they were worn pre WW1 and definitely into the 20s and 30s right up to the outbreak of WW2. There are lots of different varieties relating to different schools, some included the date, others had the date on a separate piece of cloth. They all relate to the school's VIII (i.e. the 8 man team who were representing the school cadet corps at Bisley for that year)
regards
PL
Old 02-02-16, 09:37 AM

A most interesting collecting theme, this is my Liverpool College example from 1924/1925

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPOOL COLL.SHOOTING.jpg (88.5 KB, 26 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-02-16, 10:03 AM

Beautiful items, these college badges. One has only to scrutinise Victorian and Edwardian photographs of uniformed groups & individuals, such as sportsmen, footballers, shooters, etc and of course servicemen, to see the plethora of prize badges worn. Sort of similar to cubs & Scouts attire where in some instances all available space would be taken up. There must be mountainloads of items lost out there!
GTB
Old 02-02-16, 10:09 PM

As the thread started off with a Royal navy related badge I thought I would add a few pics of the authorised Royal Navy 10 badge which is the RN & RM equivalent of the Army 100. The crossed rifles over a "10" tablet with Naval crown above and Commando dagger in front of the rifles was authorised for wear by the Naval Service Clothing Committee on 05 June 2008. It is only to be worn on the lower left sleeve of the combat jacket. In addition the badge proposal stated

"It is not intended to introduce the badge for other uniforms where the generic Royal Navy Marksman badge will continue to be worn by all levels of qualified marksman as currently authorised"

Full costs of producing the badge are covered by the Royal Navy & Royal Marines Rifle Association.

I have also shown the predecessor to this official badge, the blue crossed SLRs on white background. This badge was issued to the top 10 at Bisley but it was never authorised for wear on any uniform. Only 1 of these badges was awarded to an individual, they also received a small date badge with the year that they were in the top 10, any subsequent appearances in the top 10 were only rewarded with a further date badge.

Paddy
Old 03-05-17, 09:26 PM

Default Bisley patch

Please excuse me resurrecting an old thread but I have today received a badge which I would like to share with you. Many thanks to David Howell for finding it for me.

It is a badge (presumably a blazer badge?) for a 1933 Bisley shooting team from H.M.S. Vivid, the Royal Naval Barracks at Devonport (renamed H.M.S. Drake in 1934). It is a beautiful gold wire badge and I have never seen anything like it before.

Has anyone seen a badge like this or know anything about it?

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (59.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (41.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-05-17, 08:17 AM

When i was a Wellington College CCF cadet and a member of the college VIII. Cadets who shot in the Ashburton Cup at Bisley were issued with a gold wire embroidered version of the college cap badge and a separate gold wire year badge. These were worn on the left fore arm in BD. More recently I have seen cadets who wear the crossed rifles and Bisley date badge on their brassards, it seems to be the practice that they add a new badge each year they compete sewn over the first so the date still shows.

Eddie
Old 04-05-17, 11:27 AM

Default ACF / CCF Bisley Badges

Some ACF / CCF Bisley dated badges:

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-05-17, 11:29 AM

A few more:

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-05-17, 08:08 PM

I seem to remember in the CCF that we were instructed that the year had to be cut out before we could stitch the badge onto battledress. Thus only one Bisley badge would be worn.
Charlie