British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-14, 06:32 AM

Default England - Scotland Border ceremonies

I think I have just seen on the news that Mr.Milliband is talking about having guards on the Border if Scotland votes for Independence ( Maybe wrong I wasn't really concentrating ).

Made me think what a great Tourist attraction if would be if there were to be a similar ceremony each evening on the English- Scottish border as there is on the India- Pakistan border:

http://www.wimp.com/indiapakistan/

Of course neither country might have sufficient spare troops to take part.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-09-14, 06:45 AM

Nah, they won't have the money to have an army. Maybe we could subsidise one for them like their national health.

There again, it'll be a border as efficient as the one with France no doubt. Anyone will be able to come and go as they please. No doubt the Scot's, if they leave us, will have the same attitude as the French. Let anyone pass through to the UK without any checks.
Maybe we could give them a nice new fence that we have decided needs a home, and are sending to France.

Simon.
Old 07-09-14, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Nah, they won't have the money to have an army. Maybe we could subsidise one for them like their national health.

There again, it'll be a border as efficient as the one with France no doubt. Anyone will be able to come and go as they please. No doubt the Scot's, if they leave us, will have the same attitude as the French. Let anyone pass through to the UK without any checks.
Maybe we could give them a nice new fence that we have decided needs a home, and are sending to France.

Simon.
Simon,

Whilst you probably say this with a certain amount of jest, I can assure you that the French don't (at least on the Calais/Dover route) control entry to the UK, the British do. We have staff at Calais. Whether they are efficient, well that's another matter..........

Dave.
Old 07-09-14, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
And maybe you could try checking your facts before making crass comments like that? At present Scotland pays more to England in tax than it receives back, so who's subsidising whom?

If Scotland leaves (and I hope they do) perhaps when England throws its rattle over using the £ Scotland will withdraw their deposits from the Bank of England. That'd be an interesting time, as England faced bankruptcy.

Unfortunately Scotland will probably be too magnaminous in the face of another English defeat to do so.
Old 07-09-14, 03:16 PM

No point arguing. Quicker they go the better really. Then when the nest Darien fiasco happen's we'll have to come running with anther bail out........
Old 07-09-14, 03:48 PM

I think after Longshank's last invitation to Scotland in the late 1200's he will not be invited to this party,
Dont go upsetting the Welsh again either:
Old 07-09-14, 04:00 PM

My favourite King, as you can tell......

I always love that line in the movie....."the trouble with Scotland, is it's full of Scots".......

They haven't done that bad from being part of the Union.......:roll eyes: Maybe if we'd treated them like some others have been treating Gazan's, then I see some reason.....
Old 07-09-14, 04:07 PM

Anyway, I thinks it's sad they have such animosity, I really see no reason. To complain that the Government in London is not their's isn't democratic. If 51% vote for them the remaining 49% wait until next time, to convince 2 + %. That's the way it works.

No pint falling out, it will be what it will be. Time will tell if it will work out.
Old 07-09-14, 04:22 PM

Will the Scottish battalions stay in the British Army or leave or disband like the lrish regiments in the 20's.
Old 07-09-14, 04:29 PM

The SNP first stated that they would restore the old Scottish Regiments RS/BW etc but have somewhat backtracked on this with a Scottish Defence Force.
I do suppose it will be the loss of the Royal Regt of Scotland though I am not sure how it will stand for the Scots Guards.
Paul
Old 07-09-14, 04:42 PM

I read there is no intent to disband the Scot's Regiments.

And just like through history, even under English "oppression".... ,young men will flock south to join the British Army.
Old 07-09-14, 05:00 PM

Insultingly Vague
Amateurish
Unrealistic
Just some of the descriptions of the SNP white paper for the defence of Scotland by former/present Defence Chiefs and NATO who have already indicated refusal of them joining the alliance if not changed.
Paul
Old 07-09-14, 05:01 PM

I was thinking if they leave and wlth the loss of 3 English and 1 Welsh infantry battalions where is the infantry coming from in the next conflict.
Old 07-09-14, 05:13 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/scot...ents-1-3128366

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/434...nt-of-Yes-vote
Old 07-09-14, 05:23 PM

I was wondering how the British ( or should that be English, Welsh and Northern Irish ?) Governments contribution to the NATO rapid reaction force which was proposed over the last few days seems to be far bigger than one would expect than if all member country`s of NATO contributed to it in proportion to their countries size.

It is almost as if the Government in committing our armed forces to conflicts and roles forget the on-going reductions in numbers of the armed forces.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”