British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-14, 09:32 PM

Hi Magpie,

Yes I must confess, this Shropshire lad is most grateful to be living here in Arizona where the firearms laws are very 'sensible' indeed. Just the other day there was an old gent at the range shooting a Glock 9mm, nothing special I hear you say, however this one was 'fully automatic'....!..

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 23-03-14, 09:36 PM

I can't stand to watch 9 mins of gnat fart guns!!!
Old 24-03-14, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi,

Yes these old 455 Webleys are outstanding revolvers and for the most part still as serviceable today as ever. A true testament to quality.

All the best, Roy.
Quality is the word I'd use. In those days things were built to last. I wonder how well current handguns with plastic and light alloys in them will last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I can't stand to watch 9 mins of gnat fart guns!!!
I couldn't either mate. I have to say though I quite enjoyed using the Browning Hi Power and Sterling SMG, both of which are also 9mm. Lacking the punch of the .45 maybe but I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of one - not even at 150 yards which was the maximum range for the SMG.
Old 24-03-14, 08:06 PM

Greetings Gents,

I'm I'm totally in agreement on the quality of these old guns, something I notice every time I pick them up and every time I get to shoot them. I'm not a huge polymer pistol fan but understand their advantages (just purchased the new .380 Colt Mustang with polymer frame) but the old craftsmanship with solid materials it going to keep these guns around and shooting way beyond our lifetimes.

Quck updates: I just negotiated a deal for a WWI Webley MkVI in super condition, so will be looking forward to getting this in about a week or so and seeing how it shoots. I will of course share it here.

All the best, Roy.

Old 02-04-14, 07:10 PM

Hi Gents,

Just wanted to share an update as promised. Today I picked up my new find of a MkVI in original 455 calibre and in superb condition, retaining around 97% original finish, so really thrilled. See photo.

Now looking forward to a trip to the range to see how this old girl shoots.

All the best, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0005.jpg (93.7 KB, 22 views)

Old 02-04-14, 07:34 PM

Roy

that is a thing of great beauty I am soooooo envious note the smiley is green lol
Old 02-04-14, 08:20 PM

Hi Kingsman,

Many thanks for that. I purchased it based on some photographs, so it was nice to be 'very' pleasantly surprised when I got my mitts on it this morning. These MkVI's are likely the most common of the Webley service revolvers but it's darn hard to find a good one. I have just been 'playing' with it and it is really solid and appears to have seen very little use indeed.

All the best, Roy.

Old 04-04-14, 12:38 AM

Okay Gents,

I couldn't resist this! I remembered I had an original shoulder stock to fit the new MkVI, so couldn't resist fitting it for a photo op.

All the best, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0010.jpg (35.2 KB, 16 views)

Old 04-04-14, 05:28 AM

Great pictures Roy, thanks for posting them.

I have added them to my notes on the Webley .455.

Your posts on this weapon have resulted in my reviewing my whole file on weapons of that era, taking a new interest in them in fact, and I would be glad to hear from any other members of the forum who have an interest in 19th century weapons and their later development.

Best wishes,

John
Old 04-04-14, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
................... I would be glad to hear from any other members of the forum who have an interest in 19th century weapons and their later development.

Best wishes,

John

Well here's one.

I Man
Old 04-04-14, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. PM on the way.
Regards,
John
Old 04-04-14, 07:09 AM

Hi Roy,

I have been looking at some interesting pictures of the Mk Vl fitted with stock and bayonet, and did not know the latter had ever existed until I saw a picture of it.

Would I be right in assuming the bayonet was introduced for use with the MKVl and not for earlier models of the Webley .455.

Regards,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webley stock and bayonet.jpg (5.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-04-14, 07:27 AM

Very intresting thread this ... I've always wondered what it would be like to fire a Webley Foseberry, we had one, briefly, in our possession during a firearms amnesty years ago.

Ritchie.
Old 04-04-14, 07:43 AM

I must confess the Fosberry has me puzzled as to how the gases can act as a recoil on a revolver, and do they slam the hammer back and forward when the trigger is squeezed, and what is that lever on the butt for. Heigh ho, back to the Google drawing board.

Edited to add: I had forgotten that on my bookshelves I have a copy of 'The Illustrated World Encyclopedia of Pistols, Rifles, Revolvers'. Amness Publishing Ltd. Lorenz Books., and therein I have found details of the Fosberry, which I had not previously encountered as it is outside my usual field of Weapons of the Matabele Wars. I am obliged to you for bringing it to my attention.

Further edited to add: Having studied drawings of the construction of the Fosberry revolver I think I have got it, in that the returning gases rotate the cylinder, with double action of cocking piece provided by finger keeping the trigger depressed, and the lever on the butt is for turning the gas off when single shot only is required. (Or something like that)

We lives and learns.

Regards

john G

Last edited by johnG; 04-04-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 03:30 PM

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for all your comments, great to share some of these old gems. I will get to the range shortly and start my write up for the website and share a link and some photos here.

John:
I believe (although I'm no expert) that the Foseberry's action was cycled by the 'blowback' or recoil and the cylinder rotated due to angled slots in the cylinder. I would love to have one but the last one a noted sold for $18,000..!

Yes the Pritchard bayonet.. I would love one of those but 'original' examples are like hens teeth. There are 'loads' of reproductions around (some being sold as original!!!!) but I haven't seen a good one for years.

As far as I know the Pritchard only fits the MkVI. I know my shoulder stock only fits the MkVI, as it does not fit my Wilkinson-Webley (which the MkVI was developed from).

I will try and get to the range next week with this MkVI, I'm sure it will perform splendidly as all the Webleys I have shot do.

All the best, Roy.