British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-14, 03:11 PM

When I first started on here my user name was andyh. It then struck to me that there are so many andya, b, c, d, e, etc that it might be easier to change to something a little more unique.

As long as people sign off with their name, then fine. That is if it IS their real name

Andy (or is it )
Old 05-02-14, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that it is more appropriate to use one's real name. It appears to be more honest and open. But, anyone can make up any name and use it, and there is really no way to know for sure that the individual is using a real moniker.
Old 05-02-14, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
When I first started on here my user name was andyh. It then struck to me that there are so many andya, b, c, d, e, etc that it might be easier to change to something a little more unique.

As long as people sign off with their name, then fine. That is if it IS their real name

Andy (or is it )
I've told you before, trevor, stop calling yourself names.
Old 05-02-14, 04:03 PM

My real name as several of you know is Terry. I use my forum name as a I was a Butler for 50 years and always identified with the late Dick Emery's butler James Maynard Kitchener Lampwick.

This is the ORIGINAL Lampwick.
Old 05-02-14, 05:09 PM

Jerry also known as engr9266-ex Royal Engineer(engr) and last 4 of army number (9266) I also wear R.E. style engr9266 shoulder titles on my MTP smock so that members can spot me.[/QUOTE]

Your last 4 Jerry? I thought you were the original 9266!
T

Whoops! that should be T-O-B-Y no hiding behind an alias here old boy.
Old 05-02-14, 05:14 PM

Ubervamp has been my nick on forums in the past. It was a nod to my favourite TV-show, and has just kind of stuck. Also, it's much cooler then "Colin S."

I've always signed off with my real name, though.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 05-02-14, 05:16 PM

I use my real name here, with a signature of my commonly known first name and use variations of them on most forums, though on some of the first ones I joined I used a user name because that was the done thing and on those that I am not that active on, I have left it as it is. The more commonly used ones will have either Bond or Jerry (B) as part of my user name.

I have to admit I do prefer it when users use at least their commonly known first name as a signature. Conversing with deathslayer57 seems such a struggle if you know what I mean.

Jerry
Old 05-02-14, 05:17 PM

I don't see a problem with the use of a screen name, but, as Simon has pointed out, if they don't use a forename, it does make it difficult if you can't bring yourself to refer to them by their screen name, moreover, if that name is a silly sounding one in particular.
Old 05-02-14, 05:44 PM

As others have said, when I joined it seemed the thing to do - on moving to Glasgow my classmates thought my passport photo bore a strong resemblance to Carlos the Jackal (Fr: ‘Chacal’) [FYI - it does], hence my choice. But I always sign off with my real name, boring as it may be.

I always thought Australian men were called ‘Bruce’.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 05-02-14, 06:54 PM

When I signed up to this Forum some years ago I couldn't think of a nickname, what with having to come up with all sorts of names for passwords to other websites, not necessarily Forums, so for lack of any imagination I used my own name. I don't have a problem with that as by using your real name it forces you to stand behind your opinions, even when they might clash with others. But I would also agree that anyone can make up a name and there's no real way to easily verify it. That being said, the issue of privacy arises, where some members might not want their name appearing everywhere. For example, depending how and what you search for online, your name and what you have posted here can appear elsewhere. Not in itself a problem, but why bother to sign if all and sundry can read what you've said anyway?

What often intrigues me is where these nicknames come from. I'd forgotten about the old butler in the Dick Emery show being called Lampwick, for example.
David
Old 05-02-14, 07:06 PM

I can appreciate the comments made of signing off with one’s real name and I can agree with that, however, some people prefer not too simply by choice. As already mentioned, just because someone puts a name down, doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the person sitting behind the key board.

I have no problem using my name, it’s just so damn odd that most people don’t believe it’s actually my name.

Coogan (not by choice!)
Old 05-02-14, 07:19 PM

Smile What's in a name?

There are obviously many ex-servicemen who are forum members as can be seen by their sign in names. Mine is one that is a tribute to my late Father who got me started collecting badges by leaving his RE cap badge in a draw which I happened to find in the early 1950's.

Like many others I always sign off with my name.

Rob
Old 05-02-14, 09:44 PM
Banned

I like an air of mystery.
Old 05-02-14, 10:27 PM

I Phillip Jones of Queenstown. Tasmania have the user name Drummajor. This is because I was the last Drummajor of the Queenstown Highland Pipe Band before its disbandment in 2005. I would have no problem using my real name.

Regards to all forum members
Phil.
Old 06-02-14, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I've never had an issue using my real name.

Phil
Some people are practically in love with seeing their own name on forums. I can't think of anyone in particular at this time.

But I obviously approve of the practice.